PDA

View Full Version : Do you read any Linux or Ubuntu magazines? :)

hoppipolla
September 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Over here in the UK we have quite a range! I was just wondering what most people's favourites are and if they read any!

I used to read one called Linux Format, but it's quite technical so I might switch to one that's more focused around open source in general and the end-user as opposed to code and stuff :)

How about you? :)

Hoppi ^_^

Mornedhel
September 19th, 2009, 09:37 PM
GNU Linux Magazine/France and GNU Linux Pratique. The first one is kinda advanced (technical stuff for sysadmins, etc.), the second one is for casual users (software guides and tricks, etc.)

bodyharvester
September 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM
ill be getting my first linux magazine on monday maybe, it depends whats inside, and whats on the disc ;)

Bachstelze
September 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM
No.

MikeTheC
September 19th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I have read through a few over the years and I think I've even bought one or two. However, I don't subscribe to any.

moviemaniac
I've subsribed to to the German "Linux User". I love printed stuff (books and magazines, the internet or the kindle stuff just ain't no replacement for the good old paper) and the magazine is really good. And their DVDs always come with nice stuff and new distros to try which is great for me as I'm only on a 1024kb internet connection :)

gnomeuser
I read Linux Weekly News (http://lwn.net). It's the best summary of the weeks kernel news, paired with the LKML Summary Podcast it's enough to keep on top quickly and easily.

But I don't read any traditional paper magazines, the news is just to slow to reach me compared to blogs and mailing lists. I like it fresh.

speedwell68
September 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM
From time to time I get Linux Format. There is a new one out called Ubuntu User, which seems a little basic, but it is only on it's second issue.

khelben1979
September 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
But I don't read any traditional paper magazines, the news is just to slow to reach me compared to blogs and mailing lists. I like it fresh.

Same here. Cheaper too. I used to be a subscriber of LinuxJournal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linuxjournal) a few years ago, but all the advertisements filled up half the newspaper so I just closed down my subscription and feel no regrets on my decision. Still, it's the best Linux newspaper I've read which exist in paper format.

speedwell68
September 19th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Same here. Cheaper too. I used to be a subscriber of LinuxJournal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linuxjournal) a few years ago, but all the advertisements filled up half the newspaper so I just closed down my subscription and feel no regrets on my decision. Still, it's the best Linux newspaper I've read which exist in paper format.

I will say that excessive adverts do annoy me in a magazine. I am into classic Volkswagens and I have stopped reading a number of VW mags on the basis that over 50% of the content is advertising. What makes that even more annoying is that it will be the exact same advertisers every month. What did impress me about Ubuntu User is that there was a very minimal amount of adverts, which was reflected in the cover price of 7.99, which is quite expensive. But I would rather pay a higher cover price if it means a minimal amount of advertising.

sunchiqua
September 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM
No, haven't had the chance.

HappyFeet
September 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM
No, because there is so much info on the net, there's no need.

praveesh
September 20th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I used to read "full circle magazine" an independent Ubuntu magazine from the Ubuntu community. It's online , freely available(see my signature). I also used to read the linux for you . It's not online and have to pay for it.

khelben1979
September 20th, 2009, 07:43 AM
No, because there is so much info on the net, there's no need.

The less papers the better.

NCLI
September 20th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Linux Format FTW!

Hosmion
September 20th, 2009, 04:07 PM
They have them? Thats awesome :D.. I have never heard of them but I will try and find some sometime. Thanks for telling me they exist.

elliotn
September 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM
i am yet to find a linux mag in the shelfs in SA around NELSPRUIT. all I find in d shops in either NAG MAGAZINE OR PC FORMAT. i buy pc format monthy it rarely feature linux that much

marchwarden
September 20th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I used to read Linux Format, but I have come to realise that half of the tutorials are not for me and the news is old by the time the magazine hit's the shelves.

toupeiro
September 20th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I subscribe to Linux Journal and Linux magazine, because more often than not their articles are about things I actually care about. :) I don't really care about advertisements. I flip through those as much as I do articles I don't want to read. Thats just how I am about periodicals. However, I flip through Linux Journal and Linux Magazine less than any others I've read.