PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu on a Dell Latitude 400L

wizardchef
September 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM
After two days of fighting this installation I have concluded that xubuntu will not run on this laptop. The installation completes with the alternate install CD, but when the system loads on boot up, it just dies with a "ALSA shutting down ..." message. I have to remove the batteries to get control of the laptop again.

Anyone running ubuntu/xubuntu on this model laptop???

snowpine
September 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hi Wizardchef,
I have a lot of experience with different Linux distros on an old Dell laptop (Latitude Cpx--500mhz pentium 3 with 256mb ram). In my experience, Xubuntu is one of the worst choices for older hardware.

Check out the recommended system requirements for Xubuntu to see if your computer will be up to the challenge:

Xubuntu recommended minimum requirements

* 700 MHz processor
* 256 MB of system memory (RAM)
* 6 GB of disk space
* Graphics card capable of 800x600 resolution

Keep in mind those are the minimum recommended specs, not the ideal specs for great performance.

My Dell is currently running SliTaz. It is an excellent lightweight distro that only uses about 35mb of ram on startup. (Note that if you have less than 256mb of ram, you'll need to use the special 'loram' installer.) Puppy is also a popular option for older hardware.

Good luck!

wizardchef
September 19th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks. I'm giving up on xubuntu. I'm looking at Puppy. SliTaz appears to require more Linux knowledge than I currently remember. I ran Linux systems back in the 80s but have long since forgotten the command line script stuff. I don't want to make a career out of relearning Unix command line stuff.

My main objective is to get a slim, fast OS that will squeeze a few more years out of my laptop. BTW, the specs are 700 MHz Pentium III, 256 MB RAM, 18 GB of disk, of which Windows soaks up about 10 GB right now.

raymondh
September 20th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Thanks. I'm giving up on xubuntu. I'm looking at Puppy. SliTaz appears to require more Linux knowledge than I currently remember. I ran Linux systems back in the 80s but have long since forgotten the command line script stuff. I don't want to make a career out of relearning Unix command line stuff.

My main objective is to get a slim, fast OS that will squeeze a few more years out of my laptop. BTW, the specs are 700 MHz Pentium III, 256 MB RAM, 18 GB of disk, of which Windows soaks up about 10 GB right now.

Try crunchbang

snowpine
September 20th, 2009, 02:11 AM
+1; Crunchbang would be a great choice for those specs.