PDA

View Full Version : What if a full screen Gnome app didn't respond?

praveesh
September 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM
If the app is not full screen, it is possible to close it using force quit applet in the Gnome panel. But if the app is full screen, there is no way of using force quit applet because the Gnome panel won't be visible. If it were kde, there is an idea . Alt+f2 , click on second button to get a list of all running applications . Select the unresponding application and click on kill. I don't know if it is possible in Gnome. I would like to know if there is any way to do that GRAPHICALY in Gnome .

Islington
September 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Alt-f2
gnome-system-monitor
select process to kill

I generally just use xkill instead of going through the monitor.

PurposeOfReason
September 19th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Switch workspaces.

j.bell730
September 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Alt+Tab > Terminal > killall <app-name>

hoppipolla
September 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Alt-f2
gnome-system-monitor
select process to kill

I generally just use xkill instead of going through the monitor.

Yeah, why wouldn't Gnome's Alt+F2 work?

abhishek.malhotra35
September 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Lets say Alt + F2 stopped working when the application hanged. Then how should we kill the process. It has happened with me a few times.

Xbehave
September 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
if you can run a command pkill <app-name>, if you cant then ctrl+alt+F2 > login > pkill <app-name>

Paqman
September 19th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Alt-F2 > xkill and click on the app. Job done.

PurposeOfReason
September 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Lets say Alt + F2 stopped working when the application hanged. Then how should we kill the process. It has happened with me a few times.
Ctrl+alt+f1 and then ctrl+c.

yabbadabbadont
September 19th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Ctrl+alt+f1 and then ctrl+c.

Control+c won't do anything in that context. Control-Alt-F1 (if it works) will drop you to a login at the text console. You would have to then login and run something like "killall -9 <name of misbehaving program>" in order to kill it. Then exit and finally hit Alt-F7 to (try to) return to your X windows session.

Bachstelze
September 19th, 2009, 08:18 PM
And if it is X itself that hanged, SSH into your box. ;)

madjr
September 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
KILLALL

or use:

URBASESBELONG2US

PurposeOfReason
September 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Control+c won't do anything in that context. Control-Alt-F1 (if it works) will drop you to a login at the text console. You would have to then login and run something like "killall -9 <name of misbehaving program>" in order to kill it. Then exit and finally hit Alt-F7 to (try to) return to your X windows session.
If you use xinit it works, I forget that he uses gdm.

spupy
September 20th, 2009, 01:29 AM
For that reason the command

xkill -button 1
is bound as a shortcut Ctrl+WinKey+Q. I use it for all misbehaving programs, not just fullscreen ones. The philosophy of that program is zen-line: "Click the bad thing and it dies".

hoppipolla
September 20th, 2009, 01:32 AM
KILLALL

or use:

URBASESBELONG2US

I second this approach. lol :)

praveesh
September 20th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Some times , the whole system hangs up . Even the ctrl + alt +f1 doesn't bring a text only terminal . What to do ? It's not a rare case . In 50 % of the times , it's case

magmon
September 20th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Ctrl alt backspace?

praveesh
September 20th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Ctrl alt backspace?

that has been removed from Ubuntu jaunty

FuturePilot
September 20th, 2009, 05:44 AM
that has been removed from Ubuntu jaunty

Alt+Sysrq+K

sertse
September 20th, 2009, 07:27 AM
At some point if you're making up situations where X,Y and Z breaks down: it's is "ok" to have no solution. :P

I mean we've come to a point where we're asking what to do if your app froze, it was full screen, your keyboard ain't working etc... It think it's not unreasonable that you can't salvage it and need to reboot. :)

Xbehave
September 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Some times , the whole system hangs up . Even the ctrl + alt +f1 doesn't bring a text only terminal . What to do ? It's not a rare case . In 50 % of the times , it's case
This suggests you have a serious problem*, youll want to enable shortcut keys at all levels
window manager shortcuts (probably don't work when fullscreen)
windowing system shortcut (ctrl+alt+bkspace (http://lifehacker.com/5259425/re+enable-ctrl%252Balt%252Bbackspace-for-ubuntu-904))

sudo dontzap --disable
kernel shortcuts (alt+PrintScreen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key)+...)

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
or edit /etc/sysctl.conf to contain kernel.sysrq = 1 then run sysctl -p

In order to restart you will want to:

alt+f4/close
ctrl+alt+bkspace (if this fails when enabled you have a serious problem)
alt+print+R (get keyboard control)
ctrl+alt+f1, login to get info kill process
Try and get the kernel to fix it,

alt+print+E (tell programs to exit)
alt+print+I (kill programs)
If required reboot "safely" by
alt+print+S (sync discs to prevent coruption/data-loss)
alt+print+U (unmount)
alt+print+B (reboot)

You may wish to skip 2 if you know 3+4 will allow you to kill just the bad process
If 4 fails and you want to get info about the cause of the problem, you can try sshing in

apt-get install openssh-server
then after boot (but before the crash) you need run

/etc/init.d/shhd start
and login from a 2nd pc (putty from windows or just ssh name@IP from another linux box)

*I had a similar problem that went away on turning off modesetting (nomodeset added to kernel line in grub), other than that my only other crashes that got past 4 were caused by hardware problems and usually caused a kernel panic.

Mr. Picklesworth
September 20th, 2009, 05:53 PM
This is something that really sucks lately with GTK and X in general: an application can hang while it is grabbing the mouse or the keyboard. Thus, it never releases the grab and that device become unusable except for events handled at a lower level (such as Ctrl Alt F2 to switch to a terminal, which is not user friendly). Sometimes, X puts WAY too much trust on its clients.

misfitpierce
September 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Alt-F2 > xkill and click on the app. Job done.

Thats what I was going to say :p ... Well said lol

chris4585
September 20th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Alt+F1 to make the menu appear, then from there you have plenty of control, or Alt+F2 as earlier stated.

praveesh
September 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM
This suggests you have a serious problem*, youll want to enable shortcut keys at all levels
window manager shortcuts (probably don't work when fullscreen)
windowing system shortcut (ctrl+alt+bkspace (http://lifehacker.com/5259425/re+enable-ctrl%252Balt%252Bbackspace-for-ubuntu-904))

sudo dontzap --disable
kernel shortcuts (alt+PrintScreen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key)+...)

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
or edit /etc/sysctl.conf to contain kernel.sysrq = 1 then run sysctl -p

In order to restart you will want to:

alt+f4/close
ctrl+alt+bkspace (if this fails when enabled you have a serious problem)
alt+print+R (get keyboard control)
ctrl+alt+f1, login to get info kill process
Try and get the kernel to fix it,

alt+print+E (tell programs to exit)
alt+print+I (kill programs)
If required reboot "safely" by
alt+print+S (sync discs to prevent coruption/data-loss)
alt+print+U (unmount)
alt+print+B (reboot)

You may wish to skip 2 if you know 3+4 will allow you to kill just the bad process
If 4 fails and you want to get info about the cause of the problem, you can try sshing in

apt-get install openssh-server
then after boot (but before the crash) you need run

and login from a 2nd pc (putty from windows or just ssh name@IP from another linux box)

*I had a similar problem that went away on turning off modesetting (nomodeset added to kernel line in grub), other than that my only other crashes that got past 4 were caused by hardware problems and usually caused a kernel panic.

thanks