PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Alternate installation vs normal installation?

wizardchef
September 19th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Laptop: Dell Latitude 400L 700 MHz Pentium III, 256MB RAM, 20 GB disk with Windows current installed. Tried to install Xubuntu 9.x

OK. I have tried and tried to install xubuntu from the CD using the graphical install route. The install always fails and has locked up my laptop several times for periods where I cannot even get to the BIOS. I am finally back to my Windows 2000 installation, which, miraculously, is still intact.

OK. Here's the question. Is there any reason to think the alternate installation would work if the normal installation refuses to install?

---------------

New data. I do not believe that xubuntu runs on this machine. I partitioned the drive and did the alternate install. Grub did install, but when I select xubuntu the system just dies, just like it did with the normal installation. I have to remove the battery from the laptop to get control of the machine again.

If anyone has installed ubuntu or xubuntu on the Latitude 400L, I'd like to hear from you. Otherwise, I do not believe this OS can be made to install on this machine.