http://www.mmiworks.net/pics/blog8/lgmhistoryparade.jpg

for all details and more pics:

http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/publications/2009/09/gimp-single-mode.html

---edit----

for the multiwindowjunkies ^^ de-fusion trotrurtrotrutru

http://www.mmiworks.net/pics/blog8/lgmsingletearoff.jpg

speedwell68
September 19th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Finally we will rid of that awful paned interface. Any idea when it is out?

ElSlunko
September 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I like the image browser there. If they implement good raw editing tools gimp would be a decent choice for photography work flow.

madhi19
September 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
"Thank god for small mercies!" I hate the damn docks they don't even have a minimize button!

blueshiftoverwatch
September 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I wonder why GIMPShop never caught on?

dragos240
September 19th, 2009, 05:05 PM

I didn't even see a difference between the two:
gimp and gimpshop.

RiceMonster
September 19th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Cool. Doesn't look to bad. I don't really love or hate the current interface, so we'll see how this goes.

stwschool
September 19th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Looks good. Can't wait to see where this goes.

toupeiro
September 19th, 2009, 05:51 PM
any test repos out there? running Karmic alpha, but dont see it.

NormanFLinux
September 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM
The latest available version is GIMP is 2.7.1. 8 won't out for awhile.

toupeiro
September 19th, 2009, 05:57 PM
The latest available version is GIMP is 2.7.1. 8 won't out for awhile.

ah, there's got to be an unstable release out somewhere. Just havent found it yet.

madjr
September 19th, 2009, 06:07 PM

i tried it, but it was BUGGY, unstable, uglier icons than normal Gimp and outdated

gimpshop v2.2 (way too old)

gimp v2.6 and now we're at 2.7

i use "shade" window group in kde4 so it's not too bad, but could be better with the new single window interface

jrusso2
September 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
That actually looks nice. Good going GIMP.

kevin11951
September 19th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Are these screenshots real, or just mockups?

SomeGuyDude
September 19th, 2009, 08:18 PM
The multi-window interface NEVER made sense to me. It was just disorganized and took up space on the taskbar.

Greg
September 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM
The multi-window interface NEVER made sense to me. It was just disorganized and took up space on the taskbar.

Assuming you use a taskbar... I actually really like it on Xmonad.

Pasdar
September 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Awesome finally....

pt123
September 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM
yes we are on they way to limiting Linux to be like Windows.

Barrucadu
September 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Looks nice. I wonder when GEGL will finally be implemented properly and we get CMYK…

mazz0
September 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
@kevin11951 - they're mockups

I love that thumbnail thing, and I'm /really/ glad they're implementing single window at long last, but I'm shocked they're not doing image subwindows, so you can open multiple images side by side inside the main gimp window (with only one set of toolbars). Why get rid of the one advantage of the multiwindow interface, and introduce a weird new ui element (polaroids)?

Still looks nice though dunnit.

Skripka
September 19th, 2009, 10:22 PM
That is the point MWI sucks on a crappy limited Desktop Environment like Windows. While on Linux there are so many tools to take advantage of the MWI.

a) Even on Linux with Compiz/Kwin, dealing with MWI is a PITA. Run Gimp and then do a present windows effect=CLUTTER. Hit the command, and BOOM you have mess city, having to pick out windows from tool palettes.

b)Then there is the large amounts of space on the monitor wasted due to the extra unnecessary titlebars on the tool palettes, as well as the fact that the Gimp main tool palette is NOT optimized for anything other than a space wasting multicolumn layout.

FuturePilot
September 19th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I liked the multiple window interface. I'm greatly disappointed.[-(

Viva
September 19th, 2009, 10:24 PM
a) Even on Linux with Compiz/Kwin, dealing with MWI is a PITA. Run Gimp and then do a present windows effect=CLUTTER. Hit the command, and BOOM you have mess city, having to pick out windows from tool palettes.

b)Then there is the large amounts of space on the monitor wasted due to the extra unnecessary titlebars on the tool palettes, as well as the fact that the Gimp main tool palette is NOT optimized for anything other than a space wasting multicolumn layout.

Wasting screen space is not an excuse when you can use multiple desktops. I'm very comfortable with the multi-window layout, but then I've never used photoshop before I got used to the GIMP interface.

JDShu
September 19th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Looks nice. I wonder when GEGL will finally be implemented properly and we get CMYK…

My understanding is that full GEGL integration is planned for 2.10, so we'll need to wait another year at least.

Skripka
September 19th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Wasting screen space is not an excuse when you can use multiple desktops. I'm very comfortable with the multi-window layout, but then I've never used photoshop before I got used to the GIMP interface.

It IS if you are working with LARGE images, and you need EVERY pixel on your monitor. Photoshop is elegant and out of the way. Gimp is about as elegant and tidy in interface as a teenager's bedroom.

The two are roughly comparable in feature set now, apart from 16bit ability, and a few other biggish items. I own PS, and would rather use it-if it ran well on Linux.

FuturePilot
September 19th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I'm very comfortable with the multi-window layout, but then I've never used photoshop before I got used to the GIMP interface.

Me either.

pt123
September 19th, 2009, 10:40 PM
You are forgetting to do the first step. i.e. keep all you GIMP windows in ONE WORKSPACE!!

Then you should place the tool box window to "Always on Top"

Then use compiz scale to show all windows on a workspace when you move your mouse to the bottom left edge (which ever corner).

This will let you switch between windows faster than any SWI. A shame many new users think compiz is just for eye candy but it has a powerful set of windows management tools. (Sadly Gnome 3 will end this :( )

phrostbyte
September 19th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Something like this is seriously the biggest thing The GIMP needs. :P

Looks REALLY nice.

I think the GUI elements can be dragged off to their own windows, so single window mode is only optional.

coldReactive
September 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM
It's too bad we'll never get adjustment layers...

Damn GEGL.

JDShu
September 19th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I thought they were doing the adjustment layers after they integrated GEGL?

coldReactive
September 19th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I thought they were doing the adjustment layers after they integrated GEGL?

No, a blog or something said that "GEGL can probably and will probably do it better." In quotes.

CharmyBee
September 20th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I like the layout of the new GIMP. Makes it easier to work in and is less of a messy joke of an art program now. I hope they have the toolboxes separable optionally as well. A challenge: Try using GIMP on a single 4:3 monitor making a pretty picture.

By the way, GIMPShop never took off since it was still the same multi-window GIMP, but with an additional useless 'background window' that did not do anything, not even contain the rest of the windows. It's a very pointless fork, hyped up by newbies believing it's exactly like Photoshop now.

bruce89
September 20th, 2009, 12:13 AM
GEGL will be in GIMP 3.0, which I think will the next cycle after 2.8.0.

keiichidono
September 20th, 2009, 01:04 AM
=\ I wanted a window like this:
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8092/capturedy.png

sertse
September 20th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I wanted Paint.net on linux period :P

I like single window. We also went through in the last thread, a considerable amount of people do like single windows (as other like multi-window). Stop thinking your opinion is superior (whatever side you're on) and the only "correct" one.

sudoer541
September 20th, 2009, 01:30 AM
http://www.mmiworks.net/pics/blog8/lgmhistoryparade.jpg

for all details and more pics:

http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/publications/2009/09/gimp-single-mode.html

it looks amazing!!! I like it!!!

Are we gonna have multiple windows as a choice?

zekopeko
September 20th, 2009, 01:31 AM

Is it really so hard to read the blog entry? It's all there.

Megrimn
September 20th, 2009, 02:55 AM
"Thank god for small mercies!" I hate the damn docks they don't even have a minimize button!

just make sure the workspace window is the active window and hit the 'tab' button. the toolbox windows will magically hide until you hit tab again.

purgatori
September 20th, 2009, 03:37 AM
You do realize, don't you, that just like Photoshop it is *still* a multi-window interface... it's just that now the windows are constrained to one "meta-window", if you will. If you were clever enough to start Gimp in a separate workspace, then the new interface delivers advantages, and instead introduces some disadvantages -- such as it being more cumbersome to work with other applications in the background for reference/file-import purposes.

madjr
September 20th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I liked the multiple window interface. I'm greatly disappointed.[-(

no worries, b happy

yeps dude :)

1 touch de-fusion, kinda like a transformer

http://www.mmiworks.net/pics/blog8/lgmsingletearoff.jpg (http://www.mmiworks.net/pics/blog8/lgmsingletearoffL.jpg)

i like those floating windows better they look nicer and smaller

hmm also some mac users like their photoshop/gimp particularly "messy"...

http://photoediting.dphotojournal.com/images/screenshot/photoshop-cs4-for-mac.jpg

bapoumba
September 20th, 2009, 06:14 PM
3 posts removed fro this thread.

Firestem4
September 20th, 2009, 06:35 PM
That interface looks MUUCH better IMO. Can't wait.

Skripka
September 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM
hmm also some mac users like their photoshop/gimp particularly "messy"...

http://photoediting.dphotojournal.com/images/screenshot/photoshop-cs4-for-mac.jpg

Gawd, what an awful space wasting layout....they have just enough room for a 640X480 image to work on, if that. Even then, that is PROBABLY a demo-to show available tools, NOT as ANY kind of practical workspace.

Dharmachakra
September 20th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I've become quite familiar with Gimp's layout... I don't know if I'd use a single-window layout now.

toupeiro
September 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM
You do realize, don't you, that just like Photoshop it is *still* a multi-window interface... it's just that now the windows are constrained to one "meta-window", if you will. If you were clever enough to start Gimp in a separate workspace, then the new interface delivers advantages, and instead introduces some disadvantages -- such as it being more cumbersome to work with other applications in the background for reference/file-import purposes.

Sorry I disagree. I work in multiple workspaces on multiple screens and gimp toolbars ALWAYS get buried behind something. its quite annoying. I see this as a huge plus, workspaces or not.

mazz0
September 24th, 2009, 01:26 AM
You do realize, don't you, that just like Photoshop it is *still* a multi-window interface... it's just that now the windows are constrained to one "meta-window", if you will. If you were clever enough to start Gimp in a separate workspace, then the new interface delivers advantages [sic], and instead introduces some disadvantages -- such as it being more cumbersome to work with other applications in the background for reference/file-import purposes.

No it's not - if you read the blog entry the poster (the GIMP UI designer) actually states that it's not going to be "window in window" as he calls it. It's a purely tabbed interface. I objected to that and gave a practical reason why I'd like window in window, and that's now being discussed, but that's /not/ what's currently planned - that /is/ single-window.

What's pleasing is that the talk is of adding the /option/ of single-window (or window-in-window, hopefully), while retaining the option of mulit-window. I for one love the former, but it's always good when people have the option to have it how they like it isn't it?

linux-linux
September 24th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Can't wait to get Gimp 2.8 single window working on my computer, I downloaded gimp 2.7 source when I saw the news on slashdot, but could not get it compiled on my ubuntu 8.10,

etnlIcarus
September 24th, 2009, 05:44 AM
a) Even on Linux with Compiz/Kwin, dealing with MWI is a PITA. Run Gimp and then do a present windows effect=CLUTTER. Hit the command, and BOOM you have mess city, having to pick out windows from tool palettes.All I can say is, you must be doing something very, very wrong.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4582/doinitwrong.th.jpg (http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4582/doinitwrong.jpg)

b)Then there is the large amounts of space on the monitor wasted due to the extra unnecessary titlebars on the tool palettesThis was a bad enough argument when it was used against menubars (on wide windows, no less).

as well as the fact that the Gimp main tool palette is NOT optimized for anything other than a space wasting multicolumn layout.- small icon theme has been included in The GIMP for eons.
- unless you've got a particularly stubborn window manager, the toolbox can be made as skinny as you want it.

no worries, b happyObnoxious much?

Anyway, the mockups look nothing short of bizarre. "Polaroids", must be one of the most inept UI metaphors thus far. And I can already see the, "image parade", becoming the bane of anyone dealing with many similar images. Hopefully they'll incorporate filename labels on mouse-over, or something to that effect.

mazz0
September 24th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I kinda share your reservations about polaroids. I think we need to think very carefully before inventing a new gui metaphor. Also, my preferred solution, window in window, would make the polaroids less important. Having said that, I can see how they might actually be useful in situations where you want to always be able to see a part of one image while working maximized on another image.

As for the image parade being the bane of anyone - the old multi window mode will still be there, so if that's what you like then you can still use it - there's no loss! And indeed the issue of similar issues has been raised, something like names on mouseover, or all the time, will presumably be the solution.

dragos240
October 1st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Downloaded the latest gimp release. Dev of course and compiled it. No single window.

coldReactive
October 1st, 2009, 02:21 AM
Downloaded the latest gimp release. Dev of course and compiled it. No single window.

That's because the single window is just in mockup, not actual dev. Notice on gimp.org, it says the development release is 2.7.0

MasterNetra
October 1st, 2009, 02:52 AM
Think goodness The separate windows are a pain in the butt.

dragos240
October 2nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
That's because the single window is just in mockup, not actual dev. Notice on gimp.org, it says the development release is 2.7.0

I can't wait :)

23dornot23d
November 16th, 2009, 12:09 PM
The compile instructions for those that want to try single window are here ......

2.7 ..... that is though .........

keep it separate from 2.6.6 or 2.6.7

its harder to go back if you overwrite the original ..

http://www.gimpusers.com/news/2009-10-14/compiling-gimp-27-git-ubuntu-904-910.html

A lot of the older scripts do not run in it ...... at the moment ......

ensure if you do do this you can still run your main copy too .........

I have mine in a separate system .........

This looks like an old thread ..... ahhh well ........

Thales Oliveira
December 23rd, 2009, 03:30 AM
Here you can see another good mockup for GIMP 2.8
http://thales-img.deviantart.com/art/GIMP-2-8-Mockup-147624738

etnlIcarus
December 23rd, 2009, 03:44 AM
There's... stuff all over the place. Looks as bad as Flash MX's GUI.

joey-elijah
December 23rd, 2009, 03:44 AM
Single Window is still in the SVN/GIT (whatever they use these days) builds - you just have to manually enable it from Windows > Single Window Mode.

It's nothing like the mock-ups and buggy as traipsing through a jungle - but it's nice to have!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2714/4207127819_d903ffae64.jpg

Layers don't seem to have landed yet tho =(

Thales Oliveira
December 23rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
There's... stuff all over the place. Looks as bad as Flash MX's GUI.

Sorry, but did you read the page? I guess you just look at the image...

etnlIcarus
December 23rd, 2009, 04:16 AM
I did read the page. It's still messy as all hell, though. Pondering as to which arbitrary corner of the screen I'm likely to find my desired feature, does not lend itself to a good workflow.

Queue29
December 23rd, 2009, 04:20 AM
Looks like your average open source app. :KS

Thales Oliveira
December 23rd, 2009, 04:29 AM
I did read the page. It's still messy as all hell, though. Pondering as to which arbitrary corner of the screen I'm likely to find my desired feature, does not lend itself to a good workflow.

What can I say... thanks to see it.. you didn't need to say "messy as all hell", but, whatever, it's your way to say "I didn't like".

etnlIcarus
December 23rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
It wasn't my intent to offend you, I'm just not one for a dainty delivery. That and between goofy interfaces that more or less require you to put toolbars in stupid places (*cough* - OO.org) and counter-intuitive UI conventions, like those of the expanded dialog window, I'm a little bit sensitive about the visual hierarchy.
Looks like your average open source app. :KS
Epic call.

halfvulcan
February 15th, 2010, 02:02 PM
yes we are on they way to limiting Linux to be like Windows.

We already have closed-minded users, so why not? :P I think they'll have an option for undocking toolbars.

Pasdar
February 15th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I tried the single window feature. It still has many problems... in fact, its undoable, windows suddenly dissapear, etc, many bugs.

etnlIcarus
February 15th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Can people not bump threads unless they've got something worthwhile to add.

legolas_w
February 15th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Hi,

Has anyone really installed GIMP 2.8? If so, how good it is and where are the deb packages?

Thanks

Delvien
February 15th, 2010, 07:15 PM
A much needed change! good job gimp team!

lancerocke
May 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM
i don't mind the way it is now. i kinda like it actually. hopefully single window will only be an option

themarker0
May 10th, 2010, 05:48 PM
i don't mind the way it is now. i kinda like it actually. hopefully single window will only be an option

This, i've gotten so used to three windows, i have each in a desktop, and use as scroll wheel mouse to move between the three desktops. Works amazing!

madjr
May 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM
This, i've gotten so used to three windows, i have each in a desktop, and use as scroll wheel mouse to move between the three desktops. Works amazing!

i think you;re a candidate for gnome-shell :)

madjr
May 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM

yes is optional, thats the cool thing

on a netbook, for example, you may want to use it monowindow and on a large screen floating

themarker0
May 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
i think you;re a candidate for gnome-shell :)

I've looked at it, and i don't fully understand its usage yet. I need 10.10 to hurry up for me to test it.

RiceMonster
May 10th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I've looked at it, and i don't fully understand its usage yet. I need 10.10 to hurry up for me to test it.

gnome-shell won't be in 10.10, and you can test gnome-shell now anyway.

Excedio
May 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
gnome-shell won't be in 10.10, and you can test gnome-shell now anyway.

I thought that it would be there, just not as default.

themarker0
May 10th, 2010, 07:11 PM

As did i, and i thought i posted that aswell, hmm odd.

Regardless, you can't virtualize it as of yet, so i have no interest of testing it.

RiceMonster
May 10th, 2010, 07:11 PM

Yes, that's what I meant. You're right.

themarker0
May 10th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Yes, that's what I meant. You're right.

Yea, so i'll just wait for that then. No need doing a HDD install to just understand a concept.

BrokenKingpin
May 10th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I am looking forward to it.

Hman242
May 10th, 2010, 09:05 PM
As someone who uses GIMP a great deal, I'm very excited about having it all in one window. GIMP having a MWI is the reason why I have Compiz settings on none. With it set like that, GIMP only takes up one space on the panel.

Merk42
May 10th, 2010, 09:10 PM

Regardless, you can't virtualize it as of yet, so i have no interest of testing it.

So... do you want to test it or not?
It's easy in 9.04, 9.10 or 10.04 if that's what you're currently using (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476241)

Also if you build from source it all goes in your home folder which can be easily deleted when you want to remove it. It also won't default to running GNOME Shell so you don't have to worry about breaking your current installation.

Ylon
May 10th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Anyone have ever try just use fullscreen[f11] and then use [tab] only when these windows really need?

Once you get used to it... you simply don't need any UI: I am pretty sure it's the way it should work

Radicc
May 10th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I like the redesign on the tools, that pane was way too busy.
I'm planning on going with separate windows. In a multimonitor setup it allows you more flexibility. Maybe I've just gotten too attached to throwing the layer palette to screen two though.

madjr
May 10th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Anyone have ever try just use fullscreen[f11] and then use [tab] only when these windows really need?

Once you get used to it... you simply don't need any UI: I am pretty sure it's the way it should work

i dont like using the keyboard too much

specially my room is dark, am laid back in the chair and i can barely see it

:P

ElSlunko
May 10th, 2010, 11:13 PM
How's the stability? I used it months and months ago but I had random crashes that began getting annoying.

legolas_w
May 11th, 2010, 05:31 AM
How's the stability? I used it months and months ago but I had random crashes that began getting annoying.

Guys, can you please provide the deb link for this new single window model?

thanks.

MasterNetra
May 11th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I'm waiting still for 2.8 stable. Wake me up when its ready. :p

As I understand it Ubuntu won't be adopting Gnome 3 at all. But instead will being using a New enviroment they are making called Unity (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/383) it uses some of the new key technologies behind gnome 3 though.

Relationship to Gnome Shell

Unity and Gnome Shell are complementary for the Gnome Project. While Gnome Shell presents an expansive view of how people work in complex environments with multiple simultaneous activities, Unity is designed to address the other end of the spectrum, where people are focused on doing one thing at any given time.

Unity does embrace the key technologies of Gnome 3: Mutter, for window management, and Zeitgeist will be an anchor component of our file management approach. The interface itself is built in Clutter.

The design seed of Unity was in place before Gnome Shell, and we decided to build on that for the instant-on work rather than adopt Gnome Shell because most of the devices we expect to ship Ubuntu Light on are netbooks. In any event, Unity represents the next step for the Ubuntu Netbook UI, optimised for small screens.

The Ubuntu Netbook interface is popular with Gnome users and we’re fortunate to be working inside an open ecosystem that encourages that level of diversity. As a result, Gnome has offerings for mobile, netbook and desktop form factors. Gnome is in the lucky position of having multiple vendors participating and solving different challenges independently. That makes Gnome stronger.

Crunchy the Headcrab
May 11th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I'd like to know what theme that is :)

Rasa1111
May 11th, 2010, 07:45 AM
wow niice! i like it. :D

i dont see why anyone would be 'disappointed' by this,
as it says you will be able to change it from single window mode back to multi. lol

looks good, cant wait!

Ylon
May 11th, 2010, 10:49 AM
i dont like using the keyboard too much

specially my room is dark, am laid back in the chair and i can barely see it

:P

It's not healthy for you eyes.

Anyway; you just need about 60~70minutes of using regularly (not in a whole time) to learn the "position" of the keys on your keyboard.
Anyway, aren't the key shotcut customizable?

You can try use something like this (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&hs=8yR&rls=it&q=usb+keypad&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15613052852631195044&ei=UifpS8qwCZWX_Qaj1bj7Cg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCwQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers)

asddf
May 11th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Finally!

m4tic
May 11th, 2010, 01:48 PM
i was just creating a logo a few days ago, previously i hated the seperate windows layout but now i feel one windows is going to be limiting. anyone feel that way?

Merk42
May 11th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I'm waiting still for 2.8 stable. Wake me up when its ready. :p

As I understand it Ubuntu won't be adopting Gnome 3 at all. But instead will being using a New enviroment they are making called Unity (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/383) it uses some of the new key technologies behind gnome 3 though.

GNOME Shell != GNOME 3

legolas_w
May 11th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Hi

Can you please provide the deb link for this new single window model?

thanks.

TMKCodes
May 11th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hi

Can you please provide the deb link for this new single window model?

thanks.

You need to build it from source, there is no deb for it yet.