PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help solve "grub error 15 file not found" to a computer I cannot access directly

mguidolin
September 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hi all, I have a 'Error 15: File not found' problem to a computer that I cannot access directly (different country). I need to know why it is happening so I can guide a non-technical friends by phone to solve the problem. I want to ask if any of you have a previous experience in this situation. A little of background: - Three weeks ago I moved the boot directory of the computer from a partition to another one. The boot directory was in a too small partition (sda1) and the root directory was in a large partition (sda2). I moved the boot directory by comping the file in the partition where the root directory lie (sd2). I then remove the entry of the sda1 partition from /etc/fstab. - I updated grub and the computer was working fine. - Today, after an automatic kernel update, grub was giving the 'Error 15 File not found' line. I think that the problem lie in the fact that I changed the boot directory partition and somoehow the automatic update messed up grub. But I'm not sure since the update should have worked fine. Do anyone have a little more experience on that? How can I guide a non-technical friend by phone to fix this problem? Thanks a million for your help. Michele

AmerNewbieInDE
September 19th, 2009, 04:50 PM
take a look here...

http://stringofthoughts.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/grub-error-15-debianubuntu/