PDA

View Full Version : Imagine a world without paper...!!!

gjoellee
September 19th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Imagine a world without paper. To help you give an idea look here: http://www.imagineaworldwithoutpaper.com/

Something to think about:
Our world is stuffed with computers, where we are able to store documents. We can send documents to others by e-mail or by using the cloud. Yet we use more paper now then ever before...:?:

Barrucadu
September 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Paper is very good for one thing. Books.

Ebooks are just… wrong.

Lod
September 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
My life would be miserable without books, so I prefer not to imagine such a world.

SuperSonic4
September 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I've never got the Blue Screen of Death with paper...

dragos240
September 19th, 2009, 01:17 PM
That would be awful!

konqueror7
September 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM
will be in an advanced age of communication on 'tablets' and 'styluses'!!!:P

gjoellee
September 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM
The only things I REALLY need paper for are:
-Books
-Newspapers
-Maps (I have heard about GPS, but you should never fully trust them)
-If I get the new Japanese toilet I wont need any toilet paper

That is actually it. The rest I CAN use papers for, do I prefer to do on my computer.

SuperSonic4
September 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM
The only things I REALLY need paper for are:
-Books
-Newspapers
-Maps (I have heard about GPS, but you should never fully trust them)
-If I get the new Japanese toilet I wont need any toilet paper

That is actually it. The rest I CAN use papers for, do I prefer to do on my computer.

Passport/Driving licence?

Give me official documents and letters on paper any day!

blueshiftoverwatch
September 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM

It seems really weird that you guys in England have paper drivers licenses. Here in the US the drivers licenses are printed on a piece of plastic about the same size as a credit card. Although every state issues it's own drivers license so there might be some that use paper instead of plastic.

Namtabmai
September 19th, 2009, 03:48 PM
It seems really weird that you guys in England have paper drivers licenses. Here in the US the drivers licenses are printed on a piece of plastic about the same size as a credit card. Although every state issues it's own drivers license so there might be some that use paper instead of plastic.

We've had plastic driving license for about 10 years now, but it's true we still have a paper counter part to go with it.

As for paper, I'd happily give most of it all up, I'd even use the three shells but you'd have to pry my paperbacks from my cold dead hands.

gjoellee
September 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Oh sh**! I need my passport, but I can't get a driving license in 4 years (not because the police took it, but because I am too young), so I don't need that yet. I also need tickets, to amusements parks and other stuff.

ChrT
September 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Until they make an e-ink display than does every colour of the rainbow, has the contrast and the dpi of paper, only draws power for changing the image and can be folded and stored like paper (and isn't a thousand times more expensive than paper), it'll never happen.

Tristam Green
September 19th, 2009, 04:05 PM
It would be a world that leaves me without a job.

I work in the paper industry.

As a matter of fact, the paper industry in the United States had taken such a hit in the past two years, that some people at my office have actually taken to adding this into their email messages:

It's okay to print this e-mail. Paper is a biodegradable, renewable, sustainable product made from trees. Growing and harvesting trees provides jobs for millions of individuals, and managed forests are good for the environment, providing clean air, clean water, wildlife habitat and carbon storage.

MikeTheC
September 19th, 2009, 04:07 PM
My life would be miserable without books, so I prefer not to imagine such a world.

I've never got the Blue Screen of Death with paper...

+1 To all of you folks.

Reading something on a screen is fine for certain tasks, but not for extended periods with static materials (books, for instance).

Clearly, paper would be a very sub-optimal way to deliver message board content. :p

Странник
September 19th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Everyone can buy paper, not everyone can afford a computer

tcoffeep
September 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Imagine a world without paper. To help you give an idea look here: http://www.imagineaworldwithoutpaper.com/

Something to think about:
Our world is stuffed with computers, where we are able to store documents. We can send documents to others by e-mail or by using the cloud. Yet we use more paper now then ever before...:?:

what everyone else had said :

paper books > ebooks. There is no way they will ever be equal. Plus, nothing beats the smell of a new book.

Skripka
September 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
what everyone else had said :

paper books > ebooks. There is no way they will ever be equal. Plus, nothing beats the smell of a new book.

Give me paper books or Give Me Death.

tcoffeep
September 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
:d

pwnst*r
September 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM
horrible thought.

infestor
September 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM
i still prefer books over ebooks...easier to concentrate while reading book. from the screen...it is another story

JugglinPhil
September 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM
You can't scribble something on the fly without paper, neither can you fold a computer and have it in you back pocket.. And books of course, can't beat that!

madjr
September 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I cant imagine a world without TOILET PAPERS !!!!11 :mad:

heyyy
September 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
maybe epaper would substitute normal paper in some occations...

ChrT
September 19th, 2009, 06:27 PM
maybe epaper would substitute normal paper in some occations...

I'll gladly use it in place of toilet paper, but I'm afraid it's not useful for much else right now.

coldReactive
September 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't be able to install my nvidia drivers from nvidia.com without paper to have directions on them.

hessiess
September 19th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Flash website, not interested.

Personally, I am almost 100% paper free, except for drawing.

I cant imagine a world without TOILET PAPERS !!!!11
Just use the toilet before having a shower in the morning;)

coldReactive
September 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Just use the toilet before having a shower in the morning;)

And I shower every other day, so yeah...

SomeGuyDude
September 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM
If your documents are on a hard drive, it can be hacked or there can be a drive failure. If they're in the cloud, any multitude of things could cause your documents to be lost.

If they're in a cabinet in folders, unless your house burns down those things aren't going anywhere.

-grubby
September 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Flash website, not interested.

It's a game/video thing. The flash is very appropriate.

coldReactive
September 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
If your documents are on a hard drive, it can be hacked or there can be a drive failure. If they're in the cloud, any multitude of things could cause your documents to be lost.

If they're in a cabinet in folders, unless your house burns down those things aren't going anywhere.

+1

Plus, I don't want to get another cell phone or 3G or 4G plan, because if you ask me, it's worthless and a complete waste of money for me when people can just call me at home if they need me. I don't plan to drive, ever, so I won't need to have a cell phone in case my non-existent car gets stranded.

etc., etc.