PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Toshiba L350 fan stays on

bobevt
September 19th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Running on Toshiba L350 when fan come on it stays on. I have to reboot to get it to turn off.

rsucoop
September 19th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Odd, I just setup a Toshiba with Ubuntu, had no issues, even the wireless and openGL worked flawlessly. I doubt it's because you're using KDE instead of Gnome. Its probably an issue with overuse. If you turn it on, how many hours does it take before the fan turns on? Other than that, the fan should not be an issue, its a fan, its cooling the system, not hurting it. And if its a power issue, I dont suppose you're using anything about 9volt .5ma fan, but I could be wrong, might want to contact your computer's support. But be warned, the last 20 times I've contacted a support about anything, I recieved the following message: "Please contact your vendor for (doesnt matter what you say once you mention Linux or Ubuntu), as we do not know how to assist you." and tahts from 3 sources. Good luck

jonobr
October 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM
Hello

Having to reboot to stop it implies that it does stop for a while when you reboot and seems to indicate that it may be on for some time?

Is the laptop on for extended periods?

There were other issues on fans from other vendors but they all appeared to be hardware related.

Also, I would watch posting in other sections of the forums on the same topic. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1272781)

2xd
October 2nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
i'll advise you to check with the system monitor if your proccesors are running on hige speed becouse of some application...

its happened to me after installing some swf plugin to Mozilla

ulibumpa
October 3rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
Dust?
I had issues with the fan on my dell laptop. Always on full blast and it just wouldn't stop. Occasional sudden shut-downs too. Of course it was just overheated due to several years of collected dust in the cooling assembly. Opened it up yesterday and pulled out some ugly stuff and now it's quietly humming along very happy and a lot cooler :cool: