PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Luvin'

WelterPelter
February 8th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Switched to ubuntu about a week ago, after years with Mandrake. I can't believe how much I love this distro! First of all, half the stuff I could never get to work in a stable way on Mandrake (like k3b) is just rock-solid in Breezy.

Secondly, I much prefer apt-get to urpmi -- with urpmi, I spent half my time hunting down sources, or working around broken source links, etc. A total hassle. So far, loading up the machine with new software has been a breeze.

Thirdly, my usual all-thumbs installation process hasn't gotten any better, but the ubuntu forums have managed to solve virtually every problem within a few hours. That's really the coolest part -- the fact that I actually feel like I'm getting support in the support forums. You can rot forever waiting for somebody to help you on the Mandriva site.

So, thanks, ubuntu and community. There is something very right going on here. I look forward to many years together. *toasts*:KS

goatflyer
February 8th, 2006, 05:37 AM
That's what got me hooked too... Ubuntu support actually WORKS. After awhile, you get the hang of it too...

Sirin
February 8th, 2006, 05:42 AM
That's what got me hooked too... Ubuntu support actually WORKS. After awhile, you get the hang of it too...
Actually, Gentoo has the largest support community, but they post inunderstandable solutions to very complex errors.

earobinson
February 8th, 2006, 05:47 AM
I think we probaly have more active members no?

(I have a gentoo forum account lol)

WelterPelter
February 8th, 2006, 05:53 AM
I secretly suspect that the Mandriva support is great if you speak French and hang out in that forum. Of course, I have no proof for my paranoid fantasy. Alas, my other tongue is German...

kingsidy
February 8th, 2006, 06:00 AM
i have use suse and slacware. and i think that ubuntu is the greatest community so far.

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 06:24 AM
This community is what makes Ubuntu a great noob distro. There are distros that are easier to install and configure but they lack a support community as resounding as this one.

Iandefor
February 8th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Yay! Another convert :)!

I really like the activity on these forums as opposed to other forums. I've heard repeatedly that it's also more helpful. Eh, let's hope it lasts!

cafeshopkeeper
February 8th, 2006, 06:52 AM
This forum is very helpfull,there is a lot of information about ubuntu and is great! Im a new member here and i want to share my experience with linux , and hope make good friends.
By now , please visit my linux related website at http://www.cafepress.com/tshirtmaster

byen
February 8th, 2006, 07:05 AM
I agree with you guys 100%.. Ubuntu is easy to set up and use to begin with .. but its these forums that add the icing to the cake! Will this last ... well...its been over a year and it is still strong as ever, so my bet is.. it will!

This forum is very helpfull,there is a lot of information about ubuntu and is great! Im a new member here and i want to share my experience with linux , and hope make good friends.
By now , please visit my linux related website at http://www.cafepress.com/tshirtmaster
cafeshopkeeper...glad tht you liked the forum. But is there anyway you can repay the help by not posting ads in a forum meant for linux-support like you did here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=714706#post714706) ?

Leo_01
February 8th, 2006, 09:41 AM
This community is what makes Ubuntu a great noob distro. There are distros that are easier to install and configure but they lack a support community as resounding as this one.
Ubuntu is not a noob distro...
It is a well made and user-friendly distro...
The tech support in the forums is great.
Including the IRC channel too.
It is even better than all of MS's tech support guys together...
\\:D/

granite230
February 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM
It might not be a noob-distro but this distro is pretty good for noobs wanting to learn a little more about Linux. The community is really helpful. I installed Ubuntu as my very first Linux distro and I think I didn't get that far without this community.

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Ubuntu is not a noob distro...
It is a well made and user-friendly distro...
The tech support in the forums is great.
Including the IRC channel too.
It is even better than all of MS's tech support guys together...
\\:D/

This was precisely my point. Yet many people point noob's in our direction just because of the support on this forum makes it easier for them to set it up and get it running.

mips
February 14th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Switched to ubuntu about a week ago....

Only a week ? It feels like a month since you had the samba/printer query!
I think I'm spending way to much time here, loosing my mind :roll: