PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Skype Microphone and Sound OK

rykel
September 19th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hi all,

I frequently have problems getting Skype to work on Ubuntu Jaunty. (no sound and microphone not working)

I finally found a solution which I hope can help someone else here:

$ killall pulseaudio
$ sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
$ sudo apt-get install esound
$ sudo rm /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70pulseaudio

Remember to Unmute the microphone under the Recording tab in Volume Control. (see screenshot)

Wokm4n
September 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks a lot! :)

wieman01
September 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM
The latest beta version (v2.1) works well with Alsa though.

rykel
September 21st, 2009, 09:45 AM
Yes, the latest version is great. (Skype 2.1)

HOWEVER, on Karmic, my microphone is cracking and I am still troubleshooting the problem. Pulseaudio problem... again. :)

rtalcott
September 21st, 2009, 04:45 PM
Skype is working perfectly for me on Karmic 64 bit using the latest Skype....this is the first time it's worked perfectly....and it is definitely using PulseAudio.
rt

sherwinraavi
September 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Ok, this didn't work for me. I'm getting frustrated.

I'm on Jaunty using skype beta 2.1.0.47. I loaded Jaunty on a HP 6707us laptop that has mic and webcam built in.

When I click on Volume Control, my devices are:
HDA Nvidia (Alsa Mixer)
Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa) (OSS Mixer)

Also, In the Sound Preferences, all the choices under sound capture results in the same error message which I have attached a screenshot of here.

Can anyone help me PLEASE?

mao_dze_dun
September 26th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Well I tried the given advice and now I don't have sound. Sure when I test it from the sound settings I hear a sound but other than that my PC is mute. I'll be really thankful if you can tell me how to reverse this. I liked my pc more without a working microphone, rather than with neither a microphone, nor sound.

hblaw
September 26th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Removing pulseaudio (and installing esound) solved all problems of audio. This bloatware should be purged. hiahia. I am wondering what benefits pulseaudio gives us, other than the super function (for aliens) to play your audio to another computer. I have a feeling that the pulseaudio developers are using innocent users as testing rabbits (and very irresponsibly).