PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Restarting X Server After Changing x config file

theanti9
September 19th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I just installed ubuntu and updated the nvidia drivers for my graphics cards (I have 3 monitors and I want them all to run) so after I did that, I went to the nVidia control panel to activate my second 2 monitors. I activated them and changed the positions to where I needed them to be, and it said I need to restart X Server for my changes to take effect and that I needed to save the changes to the x server config file. So I saved the changes to the config file, went to my terminal and did:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

it takes me to a blank screen with no terminal, just a blinking cursor in the corner, and stays there for about 10 minutes. until it comes up with

* Reloading SYSTEM LOG DAEMON...

and then that just stays there forever. How do I get x server to start again. I have no terminal, just a blank black screen pretty much. What do I do?

theanti9
September 19th, 2009, 06:17 AM
also, for some reason, after savin the x configuration file, when i restart the computer, it goes back to the same, original configuration, and my changes aren't actually saved. so theres no way for me to actually get my monitors working

Conzo
September 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
also, for some reason, after savin the x configuration file, when i restart the computer, it goes back to the same, original configuration, and my changes aren't actually saved. so theres no way for me to actually get my monitors working

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1216691

old post with the problem follow the dir.. works great

Conzo!