PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error reading boot CD

rainyday_smile
September 19th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I'm completely new to all of this, so please bear with me if something doesn't make much sense!

I successfully downloaded ubuntu and burned it to a CD and changed my bios boot sequence to boot from CD.

I put the CD into my DVD ROM and rebooted my computer, only to have it load up with Windows over and over. So I tried putting the CD into my DVD R/RW and lo and behold, it loaded up ubuntu. I put in my language and tried to 'try ubuntu without any change to your computer' but got hit with an error message. The error message said: "error reading boot CD" and gave me the option to reboot. I rebooted and tried to install instead but got hit with the same error message again.

Can anybody help me out with what this means and what I need to do to fix it please?

stlsaint
September 19th, 2009, 05:40 AM
use a cd-r instead of cd-rw for booting into internal cd/rom...that was a fix for a previous issue encountered. also when you burn the iso make sure you burn it as slowest speed possible (try 4x)

Partyboi2
September 19th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Also check that the md5sum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) matches for the Ubuntu iso that you downloaded before burning it to a disk.
Once you know that the download ubuntu iso md5sum's is good burn it to a disk, as stated by stlsaint. Then once you have booted the live cd choose the option at the Main Menu to check the cd for defects.