PDA

View Full Version : PC-BSD anyone?

Slug71
September 19th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Curious to know what its like from anyone thats used/uses it?
And how it compares to Free-BSD?

Thinking of installing it on a spare partition.

Firestem4
September 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I haven't used it but i've been really wanting to give it a try. curious to see what people say though.

NormanFLinux
September 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Its a completely GUI version of Free-BSD with its own unique package manager. Think of it as BSD for Noobs.

~sHyLoCk~
September 19th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Nah, FreeBSD for me thnx.

kevCast
September 19th, 2009, 05:30 AM
NetBSD. I'm running it on my old laptop, my dreamcast, and my toaster.

;)

schauerlich
September 19th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I tried to install PC-BSD. After issues with X on the installer CD crashing and causing a hard reset, and then partitioning issues once I got X to start, requiring around 8 reboots in all, I got it installed. But, now it won't boot. The partition exists, it's in the MBR/GPT, but it doesn't show up in my boot selector (rEFIt for those who are curious). So, looks like I'm reinstalling Mint. I'm tired of trying to get it to work, and I have a spare box with FreeBSD on it.

xuCGC002
September 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I tried to install PC-BSD. After issues with X on the installer CD crashing and causing a hard reset, and then partitioning issues once I got X to start, requiring around 8 reboots in all, I got it installed. But, now it won't boot. The partition exists, it's in the MBR/GPT, but it doesn't show up in my boot selector (rEFIt for those who are curious).

I pretty much had the same problem, so I reinstalled Fluxbuntu.

BubbaBlues
September 19th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I tried it on my test machine. It won't even boot for me.

Firestem4
September 19th, 2009, 06:02 AM
NetBSD. I'm running it on my old laptop, my dreamcast, and my toaster.

;)

I bet it makes the worlds best toast!

cammin
September 19th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I tried it out a long time ago to see if FreeBSD could work as a desktop machine. Everything worked, so I installed FreeBSD instead.

HappinessNow
September 19th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Curious to know what its like from anyone thats used/uses it?
And how it compares to Free-BSD?

Thinking of installing it on a spare partition.I have used PC-BSD and highly recommend it. If it was Linux I would say it is the very best of distros but it is not Linux so I will say it is the very best of BSD.

I also like that you can use Gnome on it!

PC-BSD is to FreeBSD like Ubuntu is to Debian.

You could say that PC-BSD is the Ubuntu of the BSD world.

Slug71
September 19th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Sweet, i'll give it a try and hopefully wont have any of those boot issues.

Whats hardware compatibility like?

init1
September 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Last time I tried it, it didn't detect my hard drive.

kk0sse54
September 19th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Sweet, i'll give it a try and hopefully wont have any of those boot issues.

Whats hardware compatibility like?

*BSD hardware compatibility has been always worse than linux. That being said though, I've never had any problems with it.

the.dark.lord
September 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I'm about to give PC-BSD a whirl too. From what I understand, it's a customized GUI implemented version of FreeBSD. Also, I like the concept of PBIs.

Anyone tried to install it on an iMac?

cmay
September 19th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I tried the last release. I downloaded the new release just now. it wont no matter what boot on my laptop.

but I remember the first time i installed it. I had two hours and then reinstalled linux. after some month i tried it again and kept it for 3 days. I just have trouble with relating to that distribution.

I like Desktop BSD that has just released a new version number. and I have a free bsd cli install on my old computer which i prefer over desktop bsd. it takes more work to get working but then you decide what the install should have of programs and if it should have a desktop or not. the other two pc-bsd ands desktop bsd you get a fully working system that needs to be hacked into pieces to get a customized system if you want something else than what the defaults has to offer it seems to me.

i am not the great bsd user. i just installed it a few times to see what it was. i like openbsd also.- but then again i did not use it long enough to talk about its advantages or disadvantages.

NormanFLinux
September 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Strange, indeed. It might boot on an Intel Mac. As far I'm aware PC-BSD as no Power PPC port.

Slug71
September 26th, 2009, 05:36 AM
My install of PC-BSD installed and booted fine. I then installed Karmic(Grub2) after that. Now i cant boot into it. Grub2 or os-prober doesnt find it. Anyone else multibooting using grub2 that can guide me with the grub.cfg??

handy
September 26th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I used it as my main system for a while a few years ago. It was an easy system to use, the forum was very helpful; it was running KDE in those days (I'm not a fan of KDE) & it was the best laid out KDE I had seen, only bettered by Sabayon at a later date.

I moved on because there was a game I wanted to play that I needed Linux to be able to use it.

Slug71
September 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I used it as my main system for a while a few years ago. It was an easy system to use, the forum was very helpful; it was running KDE in those days (I'm not a fan of KDE) & it was the best laid out KDE I had seen, only bettered by Sabayon at a later date.

I moved on because there was a game I wanted to play that I needed Linux to be able to use it.

Yeh still uses KDE and still a nice looking KDE desktop.

HappinessNow
September 26th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Yeh still uses KDE and still a nice looking KDE desktop.

or you could use Enlightenment, Gnome or XFCE:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=129839&d=1253977350 (http://www.pbidir.com/bt/category/WM)http://www.pbidir.com/bt/category/WM

coolbrook
September 26th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I tried it about a year ago. It wasn't bad, but there was just so much clutter in the menus with the default installation.

Slug71
September 26th, 2009, 05:46 PM
or you could use Enlightenment, Gnome or XFCE:

http://www.pbidir.com/bt/category/WM

Cool, Thanks.

I wonder when they will have Kamel ready?