PDA

View Full Version : Basic problem with Anjuta

wilsonisme
February 8th, 2006, 04:55 AM
Whenever I try to build anything, anjunta never creates an executable and gives me that "the command make does not exsist" or something to that effect.

Anyone know what I should install to fix this?

hod139
February 8th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Install the build-essential package

sudo apt-get install build-essential

wilsonisme
February 8th, 2006, 05:49 AM
thank you :KS

wilsonisme
February 8th, 2006, 06:44 AM
hmm.. im trying to compile ("Build All") this simple test program:

/* Created by Anjuta version 1.2.4 */
/* This file will not be overwritten */

#include <iostream>
int main()
{
std::cout << "Hello world" << std::endl;
return 0;
}

It is now giving me a different error:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
Completed... unsuccessful.

gord
February 8th, 2006, 07:36 AM
have you created a new project and added that file to the project? (or just edited the main.cpp file anjuta gives you). if you don't do that then anjuta won't automatically create the ./configure files, n if you don't have one of those your Makefile won't be created.

wilsonisme
February 8th, 2006, 07:51 AM
hmm now it is telling me that I need to install glib. I checked synaptic (I have multiverse etc enabled) and don't see anything that is directly named glib. What should I install to gain this?

kaamos
February 8th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Look for libglib instead of glib.

wilsonisme
February 8th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Weird, they appeared to be installed, so why would it be yelling at me to install glib? Synaptic screenie attatched

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9523/repos2qi.png

gord
February 8th, 2006, 08:28 AM
you need the -dev packages, those packages provide the header files so that programs can link to the libarys

wilsonisme
February 8th, 2006, 08:41 AM
installed those, now I am getting:
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7069/screenshot9mh.png
Who would of thought making a hello world, (even) on linux would be so difficult :D

Thanks for all the continous help by the way guys, very much appreciated

By the way, what is the difference between the compile and build functions? (Neither produce anything I can use "Build>Execute" on right now)

gord
February 8th, 2006, 09:26 AM
you don't have a makefile in your project, so make doesn't have any instructions on what to do. the makefile should be automatically generated by anjuta but if you had problems when you created the project its feasable that your project wasn't set up properly,

try going to Build -> Auto generate, if that doesn't work make sure you have a version of automake installed. then try Build-all

if that all doesn't work then try starting a new project

nixclusive
February 8th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Compile makes an object file from source for you and make turns it to machine executable code.

wilsonisme
February 9th, 2006, 12:49 AM
it's working now, I just had to re install automake for some reason. Thanks!

jan
March 24th, 2006, 12:48 PM
i got the "glib" error as well, installed the -dev libraries and now it works great, besides me learning how to program... ](*,)