PDA

View Full Version : A moral question...

Shibblet
September 19th, 2009, 03:33 AM
You and a friend go to the store to get a soda.
Your friend doesn't have any money, so you buy him one.

You open your soda, and under the cap, it says "Sorry, please try again."

Your friend opens his soda, and under the cap it says "You've just won $1,000,000.00"

The moral question is... Do you have any right to the money, and if so what right?

(and this is not about how much you actually get, taxes, etc. Just think of it as he just won an actual million dollars, no strings attached.)

CJ Master
September 19th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Once you give an object to them, it's their property. I would ask my friend for half the cash, however.

inobe
you ask an interesting question :)

my answer

choose your friends wisely ;-)

chris200x9
yes I won it! That said I'd prolly give him 10% or something as not be an a**

keiichidono
September 19th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I don't have any right but it'd be nice if i got half.

~sHyLoCk~
September 19th, 2009, 03:51 AM
All my friends are wa****s so I would definitely start fighting with them without a moments hesitation, and possibly lose the bottle cap somewhere and become friends again. Hey I'm not joking this kinda stuff happens all the time. :D

j.bell730
September 19th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Personally, I think the world has become too caught up in greed. I really don't think money is all that important. I wouldn't care if they took all the money. In fact, I wouldn't want anything to do with a large sum of money like that, so they can have it.

~sHyLoCk~
September 19th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Personally, I think the world has become too caught up in greed. I really don't think money is all that important. I wouldn't care if they took all the money. In fact, I wouldn't want anything to do with a large sum of money like that, so they can have it.

That depends a lot on your financial position though. taking recession and unemployment into account, a very few would pass up the opportunity of getting rich easily.:P

j7%<RmUg
September 19th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I would dare him to drink a whole carton of beer, wait till he got really drunk, then swap my soda for his and say "oh my, iv just one 1 million dollars!". =)

jrusso2
September 19th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I like to keep it simple. I punch the friend in the nose and take the soda.

Icehuck
September 19th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I hit him in the head with a brick and take the cap.

Woormy
September 19th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Tell your friend you aren't giving him the soda but rather giving him license to drink the soda while you retain ownership of the bottle, cap, and contents.

samjh
September 19th, 2009, 05:02 AM

Your friend opens his soda, and under the cap it says "You've just won $1,000,000.00"

The moral question is... Do you have any right to the money, and if so what right?

(and this is not about how much you actually get, taxes, etc. Just think of it as he just won an actual million dollars, no strings attached.)

Me: I'm gonna buy a soda.

Friend: I want to get one too. *checks pocket* Oh, no money. :(

Me: That's OK, I'll buy two bottles and we can share. :)

Friend: Cool, thanks! :)

Me: *buys two bottles, opens each one and checks the caps*

Me: Hey, I won a million bucks! :D *gives friend the non-winning bottle* ;)

I'd share the winnings though. I did say "we can share", but the monetary contribution was all mine. So I'd probably give him/her a quarter to half, depending on how good a friend he/she is.

chessnerd
September 19th, 2009, 05:09 AM
I personally feel this way:

If your friend is a good enough person to deserve the money, he should offer the money to you (or at least a fair amount of it) and, if he does, he deserves it all and you should only accept up to half of it (assuming he offers more than half).

If he is not a good person then he will try to keep it to himself. Therefore, he doesn't deserve the money and you should get it because you were at least generous enough to offer him a soda when you are not rich to begin with. He just won a million dollars and he can't offer you anything?

May seem a little weird, but this is how my moral compass works.

staf0048
September 19th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I'd guilt my friend into giving me half. If that didn't work, I'd kick him in the jewels.

Firestem4
September 19th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Tell your friend you aren't giving him the soda but rather giving him license to drink the soda while you retain ownership of the bottle, cap, and contents.

*shudders* I feel a disturbance in the force...:lolflag:

No DRM allowed here!

angryfirelord
September 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM

Well, I'll answer this by another example.

Suppose you buy an old house. For simplification, let's say it was built in the early 1900s. It was prime in its day and owned by the owner's grandparents, but they have now since passed away and the current owners don't want anything to do with the house. They're willing to sell it to you for a very low price with all of its contents inside.

About three months later, you've made the place nice. But while you were going through the items, you come across a jewelry box. It has various precious metals and in all, you estimate that it's worth $100,000.

So, do you have any legal obligation to give it back? No. The owners surrendered all property rights to you according to their terms. They can't sue you or threat legal action against you of possessed goods because it was part of the deal. So you're friend wouldn't have any legal obligation to give you anything because you gave the money to him without any deal on your end. And even if you did mention that he should share any possible winnings, it wouldn't be valid unless it was written down as an official legal document.

Now, is it moral to do so? If you were nice, maybe you would give back the jewelry if the owners wanted it. If your friend wasn't a jerk, then maybe he would give you some of his earnings. But that all depends on where your beliefs lie.

Mateo
September 19th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I would expect at least half, and would no longer be friends with them if they refused.

NovaAesa
September 19th, 2009, 05:58 AM
*shudders* I feel a disturbance in the force...:lolflag:

No DRM allowed here!
That's not anything near actual DRM, just a standard sort of license that goes with commercial things.

blueshiftoverwatch
September 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM

I haven't seen instant win bottle caps in a long time. All of the contests I've seen have an alphanumeric serial number that you have to enter in at the company's website after making an account to see if you've won anything. Which I never do.

Lol.

chriskin
September 19th, 2009, 03:48 PM

a friend would offer you the money either way, since he got it that way. if he doesn't offer it, he doesn't seem to be a real friend, so why buy him the soda? :)

chriskin
September 19th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I like to keep it simple. I punch the friend in the nose and take the soda.

I hit him in the head with a brick and take the cap.

I would dare him to drink a whole carton of beer, wait till he got really drunk, then swap my soda for his and say "oh my, iv just one 1 million dollars!". =)

All my friends are wa****s so I would definitely start fighting with them without a moments hesitation, and possibly lose the bottle cap somewhere and become friends again. Hey I'm not joking this kinda stuff happens all the time. :D

many friendly ideas :)

tcoffeep
September 19th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I'd tell him he has good luck, and be done with it. I gave it to him, it's wrong to expect anything back. The only thing I'd say is : "You owe me 1.50 for that pop, buddy."