PDA

View Full Version : Forget the Browser Wars, Prepare for the Toolbar Wars

cutOff
February 8th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Fighting for icon space on the desktop is so 2001. The new frontier on a virgin PC is the browser, and Internet companies like Google are jostling for space on the browsers of new PCs. Dell and Google are evaluating a partnership (http://news.com.com/Forget+the+browser+wars%2C+prepare+for+the+toolbar +wars/2100-1012_3-6036263.html?tag=nefd.top) in which the Google Toolbar, Google Desktop Search and a Google-designed Dell home page are included on new Dell (http://www.google.com/ig/dell) PCs, a Dell representative confirmed.

Via OSNews (http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=13596)

fuscia
February 8th, 2006, 04:47 AM
install some goofy distro of linux - problem solved.

towsonu2003
February 8th, 2006, 05:22 AM
portable applications

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Let me see here, how many toolbars I ever installed. Oh wait I never installed one! If (and I mean a big If) I ever bought a Dell, I would uninstall all the extra crap including the toolbar and change the home page. Since I build my own PC's, I never have to worry about that crap. Toolbars are nothing but adware/malware IMHO. Anyone who installs one is just gullible anyhow.

briancurtin
February 8th, 2006, 05:28 AM
google toolbar is the one and only toolbar i will ever use. i use most of its features, and like google as a search engine, so it fits me and i like it a lot

Vlammetje
February 8th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I can't stand toolbars [-(

Or applications that install toolbars all by themselves for no apparent reason

wrtpeeps
February 8th, 2006, 09:36 AM
google is the only legit one i can find. except roboform (which is totally coooooooool!!!)

Leo_01
February 8th, 2006, 09:44 AM
I seriouly can't stand toolbars...
why install a google toolbar in IE when there is this smaller search box thats looks better in Firefox?
:mrgreen:
another + point to firefox.

Leo_01
February 8th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Let me see here, how many toolbars I ever installed. Oh wait I never installed one! If (and I mean a big If) I ever bought a Dell, I would uninstall all the extra crap including the toolbar and change the home page. Since I build my own PC's, I never have to worry about that crap. Toolbars are nothing but adware/malware IMHO. Anyone who installs one is just gullible anyhow.
Dell install to much crap on your systems...
I really like their desktops coz they are using really standard parts for easy upgrading in the future...
I built my own PC too btw...

public_void
February 8th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I hate toolbars. They, IMO, are the biggest waste of space, and just clutter up your browser. The worst thing is when program try to install them for you. Example: Acrobat Reader for Windows. I was updating it and got the .exe from Adobes website. I install it and explicitly unchecked the option to have the Yahoo toolbar. What do I find it does, it tries to install it. And I found the Yahoo toolbar installer in the same directory as the Acrobat Reader installer. TBH I'm glad I don't get this crap for Ubuntu.

briancurtin
February 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I seriouly can't stand toolbars...
why install a google toolbar in IE when there is this smaller search box thats looks better in Firefox?
probably because that little one lacks several functions that i use daily. of course the little one builtin to firefox works for some, it definitely doesnt work for all.