PDA

View Full Version : Are Youtube servers slow?

Marlonsm
September 19th, 2009, 01:26 AM
A few weeks ago I've changed my internet connection from 0.3Mb/s to 3.0Mb/s.

It's much faster now, until a few days ago I could watch Youtube videos without waiting for them to load, even HD ones, much different from what I had.
But now, for the last 3 or 4 days Youtube is being really (and strangely) slow, not only on my computer but also on the other one in this router (running Windows XP), so it's not related to my computer.

When I click to watch a video (doesn't matter the resolution) it takes some seconds to start, play the first 3 or 4 secs smoothly and then it starts getting VERY slow to load, so slow that it becomes unusable.
But it doesn't happens always, sometimes it just loads and run as it should.

It isn't happening in other video sites, just Youtube.

I'd like to know if it's just here, if there is something I can do...

My ISP also sells cable TV, and they have done some anti-competitive things lately, so one thing that I thought is that they may be slowing down Youtube so people would watch more TV. I really don't want it to be true, but if it is, is there anything I can do?

dragos240
September 19th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Well, I haven't noticed a difference.

lovinglinux
September 19th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Sometimes it can be very slow for me, like you described. It keeps showing the "loading" circle and the buffer clearly can't keep ahead of the frames being watched.

I guess the servers might be overloaded or perhaps your are being directed to a slower server today. I'm not sure how the cloud computing thingy works, but I'm sure they don't put everything in the same data center.

EDIT: Ou é a maldita telefonica que não consegue manter o ritmo :)

Marlonsm
September 19th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Sometimes it can be very slow for me, like you described. It keeps showing the "loading" circle and the buffer clearly can't keep ahead of the frames being watched.

I guess the servers might be overloaded or perhaps your are being directed to a slower server today. I'm not sure how the cloud computing thingy works, but I'm sure they don't put everything in the same data center.
Maybe. I tried again and it was normal. Maybe it was just bad luck. Maybe when I had the 0.3Mb/s I just didn't notice those slowdowns.

EDIT: Ou é a maldita telefonica que não consegue manter o ritmo :)

Aqui onde eu moro nem chega a internet da telefonica, mesmo eles falando que tem cobertura, quando eu pedi (várias vezes) eles nunca vieram, só mandaram o modem, q tá guardado aqui há alguns meses. Eu uso o Virtua, da Net.

Bungo Pony
September 19th, 2009, 02:22 AM
They've been slow for me as well. Things occasionally go goofy with Youtube, but they usually clear up after a while. They've been doing some mods to the site which seems to be producing some side effects. For a while, I couldn't upload any videos with Opera, but it's working now. I also temporarily had problems with the drop down menus for a while, but that too has been fixed.

lovinglinux
September 19th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Aqui onde eu moro nem chega a internet da telefonica, mesmo eles falando que tem cobertura, quando eu pedi (várias vezes) eles nunca vieram, só mandaram o modem, q tá guardado aqui há alguns meses. Eu uso o Virtua, da Net.

As far as I know, Virtua is worse than Speedy. I haven't had much trouble with Speedy lately, just DNS issues, specially when their data center caught on fire :)

nowin4me
September 19th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Você mudou ISP?

Marlonsm
September 19th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Here I couldn't even try Speedy, I called them (many times), they said they would install it here, but there was no response after it, even after asking for months, they eventually sent me the modem, but it has never worked and it is now gathering dust here at home.
My ISP was bought by Net, so I got a ten times faster connection for the same price.

(BTW, let's keep the posts in English, so everybody can understand them).

nowin4me
September 19th, 2009, 02:51 AM
(BTW, let's keep the posts in English, so everybody can understand them).

I used google translator! I can't speak Portuguese (English is my only language)! :lolflag:

How about cleaning out your browser? Have you tried that yet?

Marlonsm
September 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I used google translator! I can't speak Portuguese (English is my only language)! :lolflag:

How about cleaning out your browser? Have you tried that yet?

It doesn't seem to be related to the computer, as it's happening in both computers connected to this modem, one running Ubuntu and the other running Windows XP.

BTW, it's working fine today.

But I'll give it a try.

AnnLinux
October 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I have very fast internet connection, but Youtube videos are loading slow again!

I tried this fix http://fixexe.com/youtube-loading-slow-its-time-to-speed-up and it was working for couple of weeks.

Now seems to slow down a bit (again). Any suggestion what to do to speed it up?

RichardLinx
October 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Youtube is working fine for me. Are you sure you didn't go over your bandwidth/download limit? (If you have those in Brazil). My plan gives me "unlimited" bandwidth bit it gets slowed down to unbearable speeds (8kb/s) when I pass 12GB of usage.

If other web pages, etc are loading up fine for you though, then it's probably youtubes servers. (How many views a day do they get now?). Could also just be that you need to clear your browser cache though.

pwnst*r
October 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
it's not intermittent though, but certainly a youtube issue as i have no issues with gametrailers.com, apple.com/trailers, and various other flash based streaming sites. the funny thing is - it'll be the same videos for me that will buffer.