PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub Problem

lightzout
September 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM
So i have following problem: I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 and wndows 7 installed on my laptop. when i try to start windows it just gives me a weird error message and windows won't start at all.

Any adivce?

regards Pascal

raymondh
September 19th, 2009, 12:01 AM
So i have following problem: I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 and wndows 7 installed on my laptop. when i try to start windows it just gives me a weird error message and windows won't start at all.

Any adivce?

regards Pascal

Pascal,

Did you install windows after ubuntu. If so, you'll need to recover/re-install GRUB. If not, what exactly are the error messages?

To recover grub, boot into the liveCD and in live session (try ubuntu...). Access a terminal (applications > accessories) and type one at a time :

sudo grub you will get a grub prompt that looks like grub >
find /boot/grub/stage1 note what it outputs which we'll say hdX,Y
root (hdX,Y) use what the previous command result
setup (hd0) assuming you only have 1 HD
quit

Good luck. Post back errors or success.

Raymond

gjtoth
September 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Pascal,

Did you install windows after ubuntu. If so, you'll need to recover/re-install GRUB. If not, what exactly are the error messages?

To recover grub, boot into the liveCD and in live session (try ubuntu...). Access a terminal (applications > accessories) and type one at a time :

sudo grub you will get a grub prompt that looks like grub >
find /boot/grub/stage1 note what it outputs which we'll say hdX,Y
root (hdX,Y) use what the previous command result
setup (hd0) assuming you only have 1 HD
quit

Good luck. Post back errors or success.

Raymond

This worked brilliantly for me after a bombed install of 9.10 broke my grub. THANKS!!

raymondh
September 20th, 2009, 12:08 AM
This worked brilliantly for me after a bombed install of 9.10 broke my grub. THANKS!!

Excellent ... happy ubuntu-ing :)

raymondh
September 20th, 2009, 12:12 AM

Any adivce?

regards Pascal

Am re-reading your initial post ... can you post back output (from terminal)

cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

You may have to re-map windows into thinking it is FIRST/PRIMARY in the drive.

Claus7
September 20th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Hello,

it seems that raymondhenson knows well the issue. I just wanted to add this site from Herman:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p15.html

who is "guru" in the grub and dual booting issues and this site comprises a lot of helpful information, so if else fails, you can check this out as well.

It would be also nice to write on a piece of paper the error you see while booting. That way it will be easier to find out a solution.

Regards!