PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 installed - should I switch to Server or Xunbunt

reversed
September 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I am making a home server and as I had the 9.04 iso so I just installed that. Before I get too far, would it be better to instead install either ubuntu server or xubuntu? Or will this do?

It will mostly be a file server. I'll need ssh, vnc, ftp, and some open office.

The computer is 3ghz single core with 512mb ram and is currently running 9.04 just fine.

Maybe just install some additional security or something?

MAKAPOH
September 18th, 2009, 09:16 PM
same question)
I'm have dedicated machine with ubuntu-desktop 9.04 installed
how to switch to the ubuntu-server with minimum actions and problems?

installed soft: nginx, apache2, icecast2, mysql5, php5, bind9, dhcp-server, iptables rules...

dankdave
September 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I think you're fine with running Ubuntu-Desktop for your file server. Think of Ubuntu-Server as a lightweight "Desktop" install. If you're ever going to want to surf the internet from that computer then it's nice to have firefox available.

The Tapsa
September 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I've got Ubuntu 9.04 on my server and it works fine. I have SSH, FTP, and file sharing running on it. I also run Soldat game server on it, and sometimes other gameservers too. I sometimes use my server as a workstation because it has more CPU power than my lappy.

SuperSonic4
September 18th, 2009, 09:38 PM
server

Isn't it obvious?

reversed
September 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I think you're fine with running Ubuntu-Desktop for your file server. Think of Ubuntu-Server as a lightweight "Desktop" install. If you're ever going to want to surf the internet from that computer then it's nice to have firefox available.

Yeah, I will use FF extensively. Sounds like I should just stick with what I have. Should I run the firewall or anything that server edition has?