PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] different widgets on each desktop

Richardarkless
September 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hey a couple of days ago I decided to switch from gnome to kde thing is with gnome I could have different screenlets on different desktops

I got 4 desktops

1= internet
2= media
3= work
4= has windows xp open from the time I switch it on to the time I switch it off

can I put a certain widget on one desktop and have it only appear on that desktop e.g. I use twitter so I want the twitter widget to only be on the 1st desktop

Thanks
Richard

krazyd
September 19th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Yep, you can do this:

click the "cashew" thing in the top right corner of your desktop
select "zoom out"
in the top left menu, click "add activity" (might need to unlock widgets first)

Note that activities in KDE are different to desktops - if you have four desktops, then you get four for each activity.

Switch between activities using "Alt-D then right/left" when the desktop has focus, or add the "Activity Bar" widget to your desktop, or just "zoom out" and select, the same way you added an activity.

mihamil
September 29th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Yep, you can do this:

click the "cashew" thing in the top right corner of your desktop
select "zoom out"
in the top left menu, click "add activity" (might need to unlock widgets first)

Note that activities in KDE are different to desktops - if you have four desktops, then you get four for each activity.

Switch between activities using "Alt-D then right/left" when the desktop has focus, or add the "Activity Bar" widget to your desktop, or just "zoom out" and select, the same way you added an activity.
I installed KDE today over my ubuntu installation and I can create different activities but cannot switch between them without clicking on the "cashew" and going to zoom out. I have tried <CTRL>+<SHIFT>+P and N and I have tried <ALT>+D+Right Arrow and Left Arrow. Nothing happens. Any ideas?

krazyd
September 30th, 2009, 06:56 AM
can you change the shortcuts by clicking the cashew and going to "Shortcut Settings" ?

mihamil
September 30th, 2009, 05:37 PM
When I click on the cashew I see
1. Add Widgets...
2. Zoom Out
3. Lock Widgets
4. Appearance Settings

I don't see anywhere to change the shortcuts.
:confused:

GameManK
October 4th, 2009, 02:53 AM
In KDE 4.3 (Karmic) there is a shortcut settings. It might not have been in 4.2 (Jaunty).

ad_267
October 4th, 2009, 03:01 AM
You can also bind the activities to desktops, so that changing desktop changes activities also. I'm not in KDE at the moment but the option is available from the menu when you zoom out.