PDA

View Full Version : First use of LInux? why?

sandyd
September 18th, 2009, 08:53 PM
How many people here first started using linux when

Had an old computer lying around and it wasn't powerful enough to run a windows OS.
Heard it from your friends
Got tired of having viruses, spyware and/or malware
Wanted to try something new.
Accidentally screwed up windows and couldn't reinstall
Family members using it
Found it on a magazine
Didn't really like Microsoft
Wanted to use some different to stand out in the crowd

SuperSonic4
September 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I was bored and someone suggested Mandriva

the rest, as they say, is history

Bachstelze
September 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM
A mix of 2. and 4.. Technology teacher back in Junior High gave me two CDs of Debian Slink, "Just thought it might interest you".

BŲlvaūur
September 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM
4 & 8
perhaps you should turn this into a poll.

*added*
oh... you just made one....

Irihapeti
September 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Found it in a magazine. Had been curious about it for a while prior to that.

Bios Element
September 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM
A mix of 2. and 4.. Technology teacher back in Junior High gave me two CDs of Debian Slink, "Just thought it might interest you".

It's a shame my teachers were never that cool >.> I'd love to have gotten a chance to get started earlier.

sandyd
September 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM
it is one... i was in the middle of writing the poll... not sure why the post showed up before i created it...

blur xc
September 18th, 2009, 09:01 PM
None of the above- I was building my first pc, scoured Newegg reviews for countless hours, read all the online help and tutorials I could find on how to build a pc- and kept seeing the word "Ubuntu" mentioned over and over again. All the while, I had this sinking feeling in my gut that I would eventually need an OS and all we had lying around was an unused Vista disk. It didn't sit well w/ me to build this computer only to bog it down w/ Vista...

Then, I started doing a lot of research on Ubuntu and linux in general and decided I was going to give it a go...

BM

apmcd47
September 18th, 2009, 09:01 PM
You missed off "Old-time Unix User".

I was using SunOS/Solaris long before I was using Windows.

... and when I did it was NT, not that DOS thing :-)

Tibuda
September 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM
It was on a magazine with a Conectiva KDE CD (yeah, before Mandriva). It didn't work very well. I tried it again when someone told me about "Linux for human beings" two years ago.

coldReactive
September 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM
# Got tired of having viruses, spyware and/or malware
# Wanted to try something new.
# Accidentally screwed up windows and couldn't reinstall
# Didn't really like Microsoft
# Wanted to use some different to stand out in the crowd

My reasons.

LowSky
September 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I was building a new computer, and didn't have a copy of Windows at the time. So I tried Ubuntu at the time to hold me over until I had a fresh OEM copy of Windows. I think it was Warthog, and didn't like it, so I went to Windows, then I heard thing where getting better around Dapper/Edgy and been dual booting since. Joined the forum in 2007.

Right now is an odd time because I'm down my desktop Pc and trying to get by on me HTPC and netbook and its killing me. But with new AMD/ATI graphics cards coming in October, and USB 3 and SATA 3 comming next year I'm trying to hold out on parts... maybe buy a low-end board and CPU to "hold me over" and get the case and other stuff I want now..

gnomeuser
September 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Originally back a decade ago now I wanted a new challenge. I knew Windows 95/98 pretty well but it just wasn't exciting, at the same time SSLUG was running an awareness campaign getting CDs shipped with computer magazines and writing little books to help people get started.

A friend of mine bought a little book along with the Red Hat 5.3 CD to play with. While he eventually switched back to Windows to play games Linux stuck with me.

Another big reason was definitely the desire to stay legal. A lot of my peers were using unlicensed copies of Windows along with applications and games. There was a big hunt on at the time for such infringers and I didn't want to be stuck with a huge fine like a friend of mine ended up with, especially not when I had a legal and free alternative.

After about a year of dual booting I decided to switch over entirely, mainly because I wanted to challenge myself to live full time in Linux. See which of my tasks I could do easily and which I could not, turns out the only one missing was games and I really didn't have time for those anyways.

ChrT
September 18th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I was an adept GNU/Linux user and wanted to compare the new user experience to my first encounter with GNU/Linux in 2003.

Voted all options because none of them apply to me, since the poll question says ubuntu and not GNU/Linux.

lovinglinux
September 18th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I answered 3, but in fact I was tired of Windows BSOD and very unhappy with Vista performance.

xpod
September 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
How many people here first started using linux when

Had an old computer lying around and it wasn't powerful enough to run a windows OS.
Heard it from your friends
Got tired of having viruses, spyware and/or malware
Accidentally screwed up windows and couldn't reinstall
Family members using it
Found it on a magazine
Didn't really like Microsoft
Wanted to use some different to stand out in the crowd

I`d have to say none of the above.
The opposite of number 5 mabey, if thats even possible.
I stumbled across the Ubuntu site after 4 months of using computers and indeed Windows.Most of that 4 month was spent learning how to undo all the "screwing up" by the machines previous owner.I then discovered Ubuntu about a day or so after i`d eventually figured out how to re-install XP.

Theres no single reason why i first began using Linux but instead it was a culmination of many.I could give plenty of good reasons as to why i`m still using it 3+ years later though.:)

bfc
September 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Back in 1994 I was working at a research centre for the summer and one of my co-workers (a fellow student) was talking about his brother installing a "new" OS called Linux and how awesome it was. I grabbed a copy of the CDs from him and for the heck of it, "tried" to install it. It was a complete disaster, and I reinstalled OS/2 immediately.

It wasn't until 1997 when I tried Linux again, and this time it stayed on my computer.

earthpigg
September 18th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Vista's "one size f*s all" DRM

I spent several years of my life moving to a new country on a new continent every year to year-and-a-half or so. to be specific, I was blessed enough to have had the opportunity to live in 6 different nations across four different continents during my 8 years of Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USMC).

thus, my collection of legally purchased DVDs was from quite a wide array of Region Codes.

purchased a new laptop several months after Vista became the "standard".

Vista's media player told me i could only switch my region code 5 times, and then I was stuck with the final region code selection.

ironically, that meant that bootleg DVDs (bootleg in the US/EU, but de facto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto) legal where purchased... can we really call it a "black market" if it is the only market?) would continue working, but the majority of my DVD collection produced and purchased in accordance with US/EU Copyright law would need to be thrown away or disused.

Who is Microsoft to tell me to throw away 2/3 of my DVD collection??

the workaround, of course, was VLC... but if Windows Vista is going to claim to support DVD playback, there shouldn't need to be a workaround.

I was quite irate.

it is true that Ubuntu does not support commercial DVD playback OOB, but it does not claim to.

Honesty counts for a lot in my book. I feel that Microsoft lied to me by putting that intentionally crippled "Play DVD" button in Windows Media Player.

In my frustration, I recalled an "Ubuntu 7.04" CD that had been given to me some time prior...

(ill let you decide what letters go between the F and S in "one size f*s all DRM," just as i will let you decide what the R in "DRM" stands for...)

Yvan300
September 18th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Windows died on me and i've been using ubuntu ever since :)

Joe_Strummer
September 18th, 2009, 10:57 PM
My first encounter was any distro was back in 2004 (before I became anything comparable to a computer geek) and the Windows machine I was using crashed for whatever reason. So my dad put on a copy of openSUSE. After openSUSE I tried Fedora and then in 2006, I discovered Ubuntu. Rest is history.

arinlares
September 18th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Two years ago, after seeing a penguin with "linux" written under it on the package of a flash drive I bought, I googled the odd word, thinking it was a somewhat significant development in USB technology. It turned out to be an operating system, so I read the article at Wikipedia about it, and then kept looking. A year ago, I tried the Damn Small Linux embedded QEMU version, and rather liked it, even though I didn't know what I was doing. At the same time I discovered Linux, I started learning about open-source development, and the belief system that backs it. Skip six months ahead, my old computer crapped out, got a new computer with better hardware, and started using Ubuntu with Virtual Box. I started to think "Wow! I could learn to love this!" I enjoyed digging myself in a deep hole in Ubuntu in Virtualbox, and getting out of it, and just knowing I can do and just as easily undo everything in this operating system fascinated me. I fell in love. Two weeks ago, I got an Asus EEE 1000HA, and just happened to hear about Ubuntu Netbook Remix two weeks before ordering it. Everything seemed to fall into place for me.

Now, I'm still using Vista on this desktop,as there are some things I like about Windows, some I dislike, the same holding true for Linux, and any other OS I've experimented with.

I've used Damn Small Linux, Puppy Linux, Fedora, Debian, and a CentOS LiveCD in VirtualBox so far, and each experience has only made me like Linux better, whether or not the experience was successful or not (I kept getting kernel crashes with Debian's stable release).

sandyd
September 18th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Two years ago, after seeing a penguin with "linux" written under it on the package of a flash drive I bought, I googled the odd word, thinking it was a somewhat significant development in USB technology. It turned out to be an operating system, so I read the article at Wikipedia about it, and then kept looking. A year ago, I tried the Damn Small Linux embedded QEMU version, and rather liked it, even though I didn't know what I was doing. At the same time I discovered Linux, I started learning about open-source development, and the belief system that backs it. Skip six months ahead, my old computer crapped out, got a new computer with better hardware, and started using Ubuntu with Virtual Box. I started to think "Wow! I could learn to love this!" I enjoyed digging myself in a deep hole in Ubuntu in Virtualbox, and getting out of it, and just knowing I can do and just as easily undo everything in this operating system fascinated me. I fell in love. Two weeks ago, I got an Asus EEE 1000HA, and just happened to hear about Ubuntu Netbook Remix two weeks before ordering it. Everything seemed to fall into place for me.

Now, I'm still using Vista on this desktop,as there are some things I like about Windows, some I dislike, the same holding true for Linux, and any other OS I've experimented with.

I've used Damn Small Linux, Puppy Linux, Fedora, Debian, and a CentOS LiveCD in VirtualBox so far, and each experience has only made me like Linux better, whether or not the experience was successful or not (I kept getting kernel crashes with Debian's stable release).
now thats one thing ive never seen. kernel crashes on stable releases in a virtualized environment.

arinlares
September 18th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I think I had a bad image, or a net install, which I don't know how to do. I'm sure it was the latter.

PhilGil
September 18th, 2009, 11:26 PM

Mostly boredom actually, Win XP was working as well as it always had. Got caught up a bit in the hype surrounding Windows 7, but realized that I didnít want to spend my limited funds on a new OS. Iíve been a computer geek for a long time and was aware of Linux, FOSS software and Ubuntuís reputation as a full-featured and easy distro for beginners. Tried the live CD, which led to a Wubi install. Shortly after that I had a dual-boot system, and a few days ago I deleted my Windows partition.

Viva
September 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Hmm, no option about freedom](*,)

earthpigg
September 18th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Hmm, no option about freedom](*,)

yeah. given my response (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7971105&postcount=18) to this thread, i would have liked to check that box too.

NormanFLinux
September 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Lindows then Xandros after that PCLOS and now Ubuntu.

XubuRoxMySox
September 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I just got sick and tired of my computer bossing me around! I kept getting messages telling what Windows required of me before it would do what I wanted done.

Heck of a way for a tool to behave. "Okay, Owner, but first you gotta do this, and this, then this...." It had me yelling back at my computer:

"Dangit, I'm the OWNER. The ruler; the sovereign master, and you'll do as I say, computer! That is why you exist! So if you don't do what I tell you, you have no reason to exist!"

Not the computer's fault really. It was Windblows that was making increasing demands while running slower and slower. To my mind, wiping away Windblows and replacing it with something else was like re-taking possession of my computer.

But what to replace it with? I spent some time on Google and then lurked in some forums (especially this one) for a few weeks before finally taking the plunge. I didn't even care if I broke the computer doing it. I would at least have the satisfaction of silencing Microsoft's demands on my time and my computer's resources.

So I threw in a Ubuntu Intrepid disk (a month before jaunty was released, but I could wait no longer) and everything but wireless "just worked." Better, faster, and far more responsively than Windblows had even when it was fresh and new. Looked back over the old Ubuntu Forums and found ndswrapper etc and got wireless working within an hour; restricted-extras and win32 codecs after that. MUCH easier than installing software in Windblows!

I've never looked back. I "hopped" here and there (PCLinuxOS, Crunchbang, Linux Mint, and Sidux) just because, and ended up back just about where I started, with a homemade minimal Ubuntu+LXDE mixture. I can't say I'm all through distro-hopping, but I have an awesome "base" to keep "running home" to if/when I mess up.

Lovin' Linux,
Robin

speedwell68
September 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM
The first thing that brought me to Linux was my old Toshiba laptop. It got a virus and I lost the lot. My mate was an advocate of OpenSuse, so I tried that instead, but couldn't get on with it. So I tried various different distros until I found Ubuntu, I liked it and used it on that laptop. I replaced that laptop and the new one came with Vista. By now I had been using Ubuntu for about a year and I was finding Vista to be a pain in the ****, this is when I took the plunge and went 100% Ubuntu.

lisati
September 19th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I'd heard of Linux, and about three or four years ago, checked out a library book with a copy of Red Hat on CD. I didn't try installing it at the time, I didn't click with it. A year or two later, curiosity was aroused from its dormant state, and after a little bit of searching, discovered Ubuntu. Not long afterwares, Feisty (7.04) downloads, and after a bit of mucking around, installed via an alternate CD on a laptop that I no longer have. Loved it, still here two years later.

I offer no apologies to the Windows-haters out there for still having Windows around: at the moment, it suits me fine to do some things with Linux and other things with Windows. (This opinion subject to change without prior warning.)

majiciannz
September 19th, 2009, 09:21 AM
A mix of 3 4 & 7

I was given a disk that came with a magazine and had Red Hat Linux on it.
I couldn't make it work but it planted a seed.

3 or so years later I bought a copy of Mandrake but that didn't work either, no graphics on my machine.

Another 3 or 4 years and along came Ubuntu 4.10 live cd.
It worked as a live cd and when I installed it.
Within 3 months I droped windoze and haven't looked back.

It does set you apart from others though. My friends who use MS think I'm nuts. Lol
Guess I don't like being a sheep.

Elfy
September 19th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I almost added

'Got router so didn't have to muck about with modem'

to the list

LostInHelix
September 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I just wanted to try something new. Ubuntu looked like the nicest/most polished/user friendly option to get started with :) Now that I have tried it, I really like the idea behind it. It recieves regular updates, both large and small, you know when they are coming exactly, they are free. I loved Outlook, Evolution murders it, at least in my opinion. The email program alone keeps me from going back to Windows at all, though sometimes I do miss a few other features of Windows. The biggest thing being Windows Live Messenger. It's simply amazing to me and the best all around program ever. It has so many features I love. But Pidgin works well enough, and I can do without the other features in exchange for all the other stuff Linux/Ubuntu offers :)

piyushverma82
September 19th, 2009, 11:29 AM
3,4,8,& 9 for me:guitar:

Chame_Wizard
September 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM
1.I don't like Microsoft at all.
2.wanted to try something new/
3.wanted to be different from others.

4.FREEDOM for use.

:lolflag: