PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need search term - Network Drive - Desktop w/LAMP, Etc...

jph989
September 18th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I am a novice but I have been playing with Ubuntu for about 4 years so I normally find what I need via this forum and Google... However today my GoogleFu is weak!

I have a new project box that I am playing around with and I want to create a web accessible network drive... Let me re-state that in case I have used the wrong terms, I want to go to my Windows laptop, my Mac Book, and my Ubuntu desktop and set up a desktop icon that when I click on it will prompt me for a password and then conect me to a remote storage point that is located on my server box. A remote drive! That way I can store files and then access then from any computer in the world that I am on.

Can someone tell me where I can find a tutorial or other "how to" docs on this subject.... OR if it is easy could someone outline the steps here.

PS. eventhough this box has the Juanty Jackalope desktop installed, I will be working, for the next few weeks, via the comand line over ssh. so please omit any GUI options. thank-you

JPH

Liolikas
September 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Many ways but some of them hard some of them fail to work on windows etc. problems.

My favorite is to set up pure-ftpd on Linux system and then use ftp soft like simple browser to enter it. Super clasic way works on everything. On Linux and I think Mac you can even mount ftp like drive still not sure about windows.

In case we forget windows things tend to get simple with nfs network file system.

Also you can try it in "windows way" with samba.

etc.

jph989
September 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I guess I should let everyone know that I already have vsftpd installed and running. However I have no problem uninstalling and trying something new..

let me know what you think

JPH