PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] External dvdrw

Jim624
September 18th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I have an ASUS EEE 900 16GB.....I have an external DVDrw that I salvaged out of an old dell laptop and put in an extrnal case. When I plug it into the USB port for the power it does not get power, does that mean that the USB does not have enuff power to power it up ?? What must I do to get this external dvdrw to run with easypeasey ??

TenPlus1
September 18th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Only certain slimline external DVD-RW's will work without a PSU, but a salvaged standard DVD Writer will need an external case with it's own power adaptor to power the internals... The 5volts that the USB cable supplies is in no way enough to power the whole unit...

Jim624
September 18th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Only certain slimline external DVD-RW's will work without a PSU, but a salvaged standard DVD Writer will need an external case with it's own power adaptor to power the internals... The 5volts that the USB cable supplies is in no way enough to power the whole unit...

Well I did get an external case that came with 2 USB cables....one to power from the USB and the other a data USB....and yes it works just fine when I plug them both into my Inspiron 15....I have tried it, it'll read movie disks and burn ,just simply from the USB power.....however It will not power up at all on the EEE 900.