PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound problem & fresh install

n97ua
September 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
New to Ubuntu - Question is I have a sound problem after loading a package. I want to start up a clean install but I want to keep my desktop files. Is there a way to do a Ubuntu install without loosing this information.

Replacing Linux but not my documents. Aside from writing them to DVD. I am getting errors on that too.

Or if possible. How do I fix the sound to be like it was. Software that caused it was from synaptic install of a virtual box image file.

stlsaint
September 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM
a few options...1) do a backup of your /hom(u can use simple config tool suite out of synap) then fresh install and restore /home.
2) un-install vbox and see if that fixes sound...or try to boot into restore mode and repair broken packages.
3) explain your sound problem more in depth for troubleshooting here.

FYI...during installation you can choose to manually select your partition setup and at the partitioner screen you can make /home its own partition...that way later on should you choose to do a fresh install again...you will only have to format root(/) and install system files there but you wont have to touch your /home partition leaving all files, music, pics intact.

n97ua
September 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Yes... that is what I thought. My next partition will have /home alone. :P