PDA

View Full Version : How long have you been a Ubuntu User

Omnios
September 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Interesting survey type thread about how long have you been using Ubuntu, this is even if you strayed to another distro for a short period of time.

I started using Ubuntu and Linux in general back in 2004. I strayed away for about 6 months but am back to Using Ubuntu. Tried Fedora for a bit and used Arch for a bit. I am trying to manage a small business with Ubuntu and could not afford breakages with Arch so am Using Ubuntu again for this purpose. Ubuntu is a great distro for stability.

How long have you been using Ubuntu

lovinglinux
September 18th, 2009, 05:52 PM
One year. Before that, 15 years of Windows.

Dragonbite
September 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I fooled around some with Ubuntu I believe around 2005 when I got a computer somebody was throwing away.

At the time I was using Gentoo, and I had recently heard about Ubuntu. Since I had lost my job (thus bandwidth) around that time, receiving a CD via ShipIt! made a huge differenct.

I finally have stabilized on Ubuntu since about 2006 or 2007 when I put Edubuntu (workstation) on our old machine for the kids. Now it's full-blown Ubuntu on the desktop, laptop and server (though the server is off because the power supply is making funny noises).

Of course I've shifted around and tried different things but I've kept with Ubuntu mostly because it "just works" (most of the time), is easy to set up, install and maintain as well as easy to get (from ShipIt)

xpod
September 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Just over 3 years.Most of the time i`ve used a computer.

hoppipolla
September 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM
2 years of Ubuntu but more like 6 of Linux! :)

Ubuntu is my personal fave distro ^_^

PurposeOfReason
September 18th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Two and a half years for linux, so that is what I voted. Ubuntu was not even one year.

gn2
September 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Just over 3 years.Most of the time i`ve used a computer.

What did you use the rest of the time.....? ;)

EV500B
September 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Merely about 6 hours; this distro isn't really suit for old pcs.
My old PIII could only run poorly under it.

Dragonbite
September 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Merely about 6 hours; this distro isn't really suit for old pcs.
My old PIII could only run poorly under it.

The first machine I ran Ubuntu on steadily was running Edubuntu on a P3 @ 500 Mhz maxed out with 256MB or Ram.

Definately wasn't a speed deamon, but did the basics (web, browse, gCompris) well enough.

My son, though, was very happy when I pulled up the box I was using as a thin client server and he was able to do 3D games like SuperTuxKart and TuxRacer on it.

xpod
September 18th, 2009, 06:48 PM
What did you use the rest of the time.....? ;)

The lads PS3 of course :---)

Ok ok, you got me.

Little Bit
September 18th, 2009, 06:51 PM
There was no "Under 6 months" option so I checked "six months." Only Ubuntu so far, and I really don't have any reason to "distro hop" because I haven't even half-explored all that Ubuntu offers yet! Started with an LXDE Ubuntu remix, played with Gnome a little, ran back home to LXDE again, lol. Next time I feel brave I'll play with other de's and their applications too.

Amy

MellonCollie
September 18th, 2009, 07:24 PM
4 years, on and off.

-grubby
September 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I first used Ubuntu about 2 years ago. It's been on and off since.

t0p
September 18th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I first got into Ubuntu in 2005, with Breezy. Then my computer died. A got a new machine with XP installed, so I used that for a while. Then I installed Feisty next to XP and soon decided that Windows wasn't for me. When Gutsy came out I installed it as sole OS, and I haven't looked back.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 18th, 2009, 08:42 PM
About 3 years ago I decided to use Ubuntu. I still have the Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake) CD I had at the time. I used SuSE, RedHat, and Mandrake before that.

I used computers all day at work. I didn't what to spend a lot of time at home maintaining my OS. Ubuntu was easier to keep updated, and software was easily obtained from the repositories.

I have CentOS 5.3 on one of my computers because we use RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.3 at work. When I'm at home, and I think of something that may solve a problem I'm dealing with at work, it is nice to have an environment at home that is very similar to what we have at work.

Dragonbite
September 18th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I used computers all day at work. I didn't what to spend a lot of time at home maintaining my OS. Ubuntu was easier to keep updated, and software was easily obtained from the repositories.
Ya, similar story.

I have CentOS 5.3 on one of my computers because we use RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.3 at work. When I'm at home, and I think of something that may solve a problem I'm dealing with at work, it is nice to have an environment at home that is very similar to what we have at work.

That would work for me, except I use Windows at work.

Bachstelze
September 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM
"Four and a half years" or "Longer than four years"....

*ponders*

xpod
September 18th, 2009, 09:03 PM
"Four and a half years" or "Longer than four years"....

*ponders*

I had a similar dilemma with three years & three and a half.
I just rounded up, although i should have probably rounded down. :)

The Tapsa
September 18th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I've used Ubuntu for about 8 months now.
Ubuntu was Linux I used, but I've tested Gentoo, Arch, Fedora, and DSL too. Gentoo was a real trial by fire, but I knew it before I installed it. Arch I installed because of problems with my Ubuntu server. Fedora was just test, but I didn't like it too much, and DSL is because I can use pendrive version of it to boot computers in my school if I want use Linux instead of crappy Vista which they have installed. I also installed Ubuntu back to my server, since I learned how to repair that problem, and I also didn't like Archs' pacman.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 18th, 2009, 09:12 PM
That would work for me, except I use Windows at work.

You may want to look at using Windows in a Virtualized environment. Check out VirtualBox, VMWare, Xen, etc. The problem with that is, you still need to have a Microsoft License.

One of the problems I was trying to solve was the fact the we have RHEL 4.7 deployed in the field; however, we are developing our new software on RHEL 5.3. The software developers need both versions of the OS available to them in order to provide maintenance for the old system and develop the new system. Sure, you can dual boot but that is inconvenient.

I knew that RHEL 5.3 had Virtualization (hypervisor) built into the OS. The IT department was giving me some B.S. about how long it would take them to set up our software developers workstations to run RHEL 4.7 and 5.3 on a Hypervisor. So, I tried it myself on my home computer using CentOS 5.3 (RHEL 5.3 equivalent) built-in Xen Hypervisor. It took me an hour to set it up :).

Garrovick
September 18th, 2009, 09:26 PM
11 months

RiceMonster
September 18th, 2009, 09:28 PM
1 year, 14 days, 5 hours, 6 minutes and 28 seconds... no 29!

y6FgBn)~v
September 18th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Coming up on 5 years now.

wojox
September 18th, 2009, 09:59 PM
March 2009

Had been a Microsoft Soldier for 15 years prior. Ubuntu was my first distro. I have dual booted Fedora and Debian Lenny but ended up removing them. Also run Arch on the laptop.

ticopelp
September 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Since my join date.

ChrT
September 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Since my join date.

Same

NightHawk877
September 18th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I have been using Ubumtu for at least one and a half years. I started with [K]Ubuntu Hardy and then decided that KDE wasn't for me. I Installed GNOME and purged KDE completely from my system and never looked back. I now use Jaunty and have never had any problems with it other than some probems getting the video and wireless right on my laptop.

Yvan300
September 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Since February :P

fela
September 18th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I used it for 3 years then switched to Debian. Ubuntu got too unstable for me, such as a sound bug in jaunty where I couldn't play sound due to latency issues.

hellion0
September 18th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Since May 2007.

Ancient Dragon
September 18th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Since last night! But I've been using PCs since 1980 -- started with MS-DOS Version 1.0.

arinlares
September 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Two weeks, actually, installed UNR on my netbook.