PDA

View Full Version : [kde] The state of KDE 4

onlythetim
September 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
What is the current state of KDE 4, in terms of stability relative to gnome?

Ever since KDE 4 first came out, I have been very attracted to it. I like the applications, the new desktop idea, the customizeability, and many of the principles in the backend.

However, I'm used to the stability and responsiveness of gnome. Each time I've tried KDE 4 in the past, I've ultimately decided it was still too unstable for me to be comfortable with it.

I'll be upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04 this weekend, and so I'm wondering where KDE 4 stands, and whether I should just install Ubuntu or give Kubuntu another shot. (And yes, I know I can install both, but I'd prefer to start with the base system I'm going to be using).

Thank you for any help.

kellemes
September 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Just install Ubuntu and install KDE 4.3.1 besides it. This way you can always fall-back to Ubuntu/gnome.

The guide I followed. (http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-KDE-4-3-on-Ubuntu-9-04-118645.shtml)

krazyd
September 18th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Solid as a rock here. I'm on Kubuntu Jaunty upgraded to KDE 4.3.1 and haven't had a KDE crash yet.

This is noticeable especially with Plasma, which had some crashiness before KDE 4.2. Also Kmail was unstable prior to 4.3, but I'm using it regularly now with no issues. :)

cat2005
September 18th, 2009, 05:57 PM
For those using KDE and Gnome, do you have problems by running 2 desktops? For example, does KDE mess up Gnome, or vice versa? I have heard people say the answer is "no" but I wanted to ask those who used both.

SuperSonic4
September 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM
KDEmod 4.3.1 is very stable, I cannot comment relative to gnome because of not using the latter

krazyd
September 19th, 2009, 04:14 AM
For those using KDE and Gnome, do you have problems by running 2 desktops? For example, does KDE mess up Gnome, or vice versa? I have heard people say the answer is "no" but I wanted to ask those who used both.
Mine is a straight kubuntu install, so I can't comment on this.

theZoid
September 19th, 2009, 05:41 AM

You can clean up the menu's on both sides, but I don't like to mix desktops because to me it's "unclean"...just a 'feeling' I get so I stick to one desktop or the other. The softpedia link above is a great one to install KDE 4.3 on Ubuntu Jaunty if you do want to do it.

Fifoxtasy
December 2nd, 2009, 12:13 AM
What is the current state of KDE 4, in terms of stability relative to gnome?

Ever since KDE 4 first came out, I have been very attracted to it. I like the applications, the new desktop idea, the customizeability, and many of the principles in the backend.

However, I'm used to the stability and responsiveness of gnome. Each time I've tried KDE 4 in the past, I've ultimately decided it was still too unstable for me to be comfortable with it.
(...)

I felt exactly the same way, tried KDE again and again, version after version. Now with Kubuntu 9.10 and KDE 4.3 I feel like it's finally ready for me. It's still not perfect, but this time I'll make the switch !

roggenschrotbrot
December 2nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
running kde 4.3.2 ontop of ubuntu 9.10 and having used other desktop environments before, i would say kde is safe for work. nevertheless it is far from beeing as stable as gnome. there are no big problems, but plasma might crash sometime (though not very often anymore), some plasmoids might be displayed wrong and konqueror tends to crash quite often. also some badly needed functionality is still missing: you still cand bind your mousebuttons without using xbindkeys and some plasmoids/applets (especial kmixer comes to mind) aren't asw useable as their gnome-counterparts.

none of these problems are real show-stoppers, if you can life with these you might be quite happy with kde. i joust won't recommend it to absolute beginners.