PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help, my ubuntu is bumpy

emuobo
September 18th, 2009, 03:09 PM
My first post in the ubuntu forums,please take it lightly with me.

I am a 1yr+ ubuntu user and recently i changed my pc to a laptop running core 2 duo 2.16 ghz and 3gb ram and intel x4500 GPU.I noticed a decline in performance in the new PC (my old one was a pentium d and 512mb ram and intel GMA 950 @ 128MB VGA which was a dumb Pc).I understand that my new intel chip gm45/gm47 is not too nice on my kernel 2.6.27-7.

recently, i installed debian lenny and noticed my performance skyrocket.Now , what went wrong?My debian kernel was 2.6.26-1.
IMHO that version of kernel was better than the ubuntu's own.Please i need help if whether a kernel update will help,

I couldnt just use ubuntu after seeing such speed and responsiveness with debian.

or maybe a kernel downgrade? i already can compile a kernel.
:confused::confused:

rossmoore
September 18th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Hi emuobo,

Welcome to the forums - sounds like you've already got a fair bit of experience though. Intel graphics are, apparently, an issue in Jaunty (due to be fixed in Karmic). Have you tried this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

It has lots of helpful hints to improve things. Hope it helps - if not, someone with more experience of your hardware on the forums should be able to help.

Ross

emuobo
September 18th, 2009, 06:11 PM
thanks rossmore i noted those issues with jaunty

I refused to change to jackalope cos of these issues with intel chips.I use intrepid 8.10 as of now and i get an awful 53FPS when using compiz with all my effects turned on.Even avant windows manager is too slow that its even embarassing.can anybody with an x4500 GPU help?especially with his xorg config?Thanks all.