PDA

View Full Version : Should Ubuntu have a "Welcome Screen"?

Ric_NYC
September 18th, 2009, 01:09 PM
It would play after the login.

Something like a slideshow or a short movie explaining things like codecs, restricted software, hardware drivers, installation of programs (Applications>Add/Remove Applications...), how to use the terminal etc.

That would help the new users.

If the user doesn't need that kind of information just click "skip"...

What do you think?

nothingspecial
September 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM
See installation slide show for karmic.

ChrT
September 18th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Yes, and it should say "Confused? man <packagename>".

pmlxuser
September 18th, 2009, 01:51 PM
only problem i think it will look like copying from windows or trying to clone windows :)

TheStroj
September 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
That would be like a game trailer xD.

Tristam Green
September 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah man, that was the one aspect of Windows XP that I ... turned off as soon as I possibly could after a new install.

RiceMonster
September 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
only problem i think it will look like copying from windows or trying to clone windows :)

You can't be serious

pookiebear
September 18th, 2009, 02:04 PM
no welcome screen. bootup should be fast. even the first one. IF I want a video/slideshow to tell me HI I will go to youtube.

CharmyBee
September 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM
A clone of Windows 95's tip of the day thing (default on for first time users) could be useful. I specifically mean 95's, not 98's annoying big ben+ song or TKAE A TOUR WITH XP popup balloon.
Even Windows 3.1 offered a tutorial on how to use the interface and even do mouse clicking practice right after setup completed.

Странник
September 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
This one? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e53juaMGCho&feature=related)I really liked it

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM
You can't be serious

^^this

wojox
September 18th, 2009, 02:49 PM
System > Help and Support worked good for me when I first installed.

SunnyRabbiera
September 18th, 2009, 02:49 PM
A clone of Windows 95's tip of the day thing (default on for first time users) could be useful. I specifically mean 95's, not 98's annoying big ben+ song or TKAE A TOUR WITH XP popup balloon.
Even Windows 3.1 offered a tutorial on how to use the interface and even do mouse clicking practice right after setup completed.

KDE had this

forrestcupp
September 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah man, that was the one aspect of Windows XP that I ... turned off as soon as I possibly could after a new install.

That's what I was thinking. XP's "welcome screen" was very annoying. I hated it because it forced you to look at it once and restart your system before it gave you the option to uncheck the box so you didn't have to see it anymore.

I guess it could be useful to some people, but I always hated the one on Windows. Maybe a desktop shortcut to run one would be less intrusive.

Omnios
September 18th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hehe

K a windows like welcome screen could be ok but rather would have a button in the panel near the menu with a welcome screen notification pop up and a catchy icon that is easy to disable. This is kind of a different approach as it is there, the pop up tells you its there and it would be easy to use and friendly for users who do not need it. Sort of a notification pop up splash screen on boot and a launcher to launch it. Nice part is even if a new user disables it it is right there in the launcher for easy access and could be a good addition for new uers.

HappyFeet
September 18th, 2009, 05:47 PM
http://assets.knowyourmeme.com/i/5663/original/doublefacepalm.jpg

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2009, 05:51 PM
lol

CJ Master
September 18th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Really... just, really? Please. Even if it is "cloning Windows" that's not a bad thing if it adds to the operating system.

And yes, there needs to a be a popup on the first boot that'd ask the user if they wanted a tour, and if they say no it'd never be shown again. That could make things much easier for many people, considering how different Gnome is from Windows DE.

gn2
September 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Bring back the little lifebelt icon that used to sit in the top panel.....

toupeiro
September 18th, 2009, 06:18 PM
no welcome screen. bootup should be fast. even the first one. IF I want a video/slideshow to tell me HI I will go to youtube.

^^^ This. I think its pretty stupid in fact, that you would spend so much time working on making ubuntu boot faster, then throw a bunch of shiny nothing in a welcome screen. I've seen the one in the Karmic alpha. I'm not a fan! Its even worse if you're running two screens!

toupeiro
September 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM
http://assets.knowyourmeme.com/i/5663/original/doublefacepalm.jpg

LOL!!

I don't even want to tall you how many decades before windows 95/98 that UNIX has had a message of the day... much better way to get your point across.

hoppipolla
September 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Yup! And I think it will happen Karmic suggests the beginnings of it :)

EDIT -- Although yeah I guess we do have the quite obvious Help icon and option on the System menu... can't hurt to have more though IMO :)

Jesus_Valdez
September 18th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Karmic's installation slide show is not enough?

CharmyBee
September 19th, 2009, 01:15 AM
funnie picture of facepalm since i can't explain why i disagree in detail so i use a macro to be cool on the internet because it does the witty for me so I don't have to.
Yeah, because suggesting something in common with the OS that no one uses is a bad idea. Let's leave everyone helpless at their computers, at most tell everyone to 'man' it all or stop using computers forever. Is that your logic? :rolleyes:

What's so dreadful about this?
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1189/win95desktop.png

CJ Master
September 19th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Yeah, because suggesting something in common with the OS that no one uses is a bad idea. Let's leave everyone helpless at their computers, at most tell everyone to 'man' it all or stop using computers forever. Is that your logic? :rolleyes:

What's so dreadful about this?
<snip>

Exactly! Is it so hard to move your mouse over and click close? The potential gain for this is very large and the potential loss (e.g. having to click the button) is extremely tiny.

toupeiro
September 19th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Exactly! Is it so hard to move your mouse over and click close? The potential gain for this is very large and the potential loss (e.g. having to click the button) is extremely tiny.

There's already a docked icon in the gnome menu bar by default for the Ubuntu Help Center. MUCH less obtrusive approach.

CJ Master
September 19th, 2009, 02:03 AM
There's already a docked icon in the gnome menu bar by default for the Ubuntu Help Center. MUCH less obtrusive approach.

How is a simple dialog on the first start-up obtrusive?

toupeiro
September 19th, 2009, 02:05 AM
How is a simple dialog on the first start-up obtrusive?

because it takes window focus. because it takes screen real-estate. because I didn't ask for help, but got it anyway. because by nature, its a pop-up. Because help is one click away without it. Shall I continue?

hoppipolla
September 19th, 2009, 02:24 AM
To be honest I'm not sure if it makes the WORLD of difference as long as the help icon you need to click is obvious enough so a new user doesn't miss it.

I do think the help feature needs just a bit of work though as at the moment it does look a little plain and could maybe be arranged better... these would be positive changes I think to make things easier for a new user :)

CharmyBee
September 19th, 2009, 02:30 AM
because it takes window focus. because it takes screen real-estate. because I didn't ask for help, but got it anyway. because by nature, its a pop-up. Because help is one click away without it. Shall I continue?

What, for the first time you boot an OS ever, you already are wanting to focus on another window? Sounds like thin air excuses to me. Confining the beginner stuff to the system tray I MEAN panel isn't welcoming enough.

CJ Master
September 19th, 2009, 02:32 AM

To be blunt, so what? You would see it one time each time you install Ubuntu (which should hopefully be once.) It takes one second to close. And a simple tour could be extremity beneficial to a newbie.

hoppipolla
September 19th, 2009, 02:34 AM
To be blunt, so what? You would see it one time each time you install Ubuntu (which should hopefully be once.) It takes one second to close. And a simple tour could be extremity beneficial to a newbie.

Amen to that :)

And CharmyBee you have an incredibly cool name and avatar! hehe :)

Frak
September 19th, 2009, 02:36 AM
+9001 and 3 internetz