PDA

View Full Version : Google and Python

hoboy
September 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM
What google used python for ? is it the main developement language/Tools ? what type of applications they develope in python ?

pepperphd
September 18th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Youtube is written in Python.

phrostbyte
September 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Apparently a lot of things, as it is one of the three languages you are expected to be familiar with as a software engineer at Google (C++, Java, Python).

Can+~
September 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Google also develops back to python, search for their project "Unladen Swallow (http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/03/google-launches-project-to-boost-python-performance-by-5x.ars)".

karlmp
September 18th, 2009, 10:57 PM
if that project goes through, python will stomp java.

Can+~
September 19th, 2009, 03:53 AM
if that project goes through, python will stomp java

Very unlikely.

falconindy
September 19th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Very unlikely.
No, no. Hear me out. All I want my app to do is display a window that says 'hello world'. I'll just write an inordinately long if/else statement to identify the OS and then pull in the appropriate API calls to create the window and write to it! I CAN'T FAIL!!!!!

JAVA BE GONE!!

...yeah right. Just because you see the words "virtual machine" doesn't mean it has anything to do with Java.

angryfirelord
September 19th, 2009, 04:50 AM
if that project goes through, python will stomp java
Mmm, I don't think so. For all intents and purposes, Python is a RAD tool and a scripting language that allows you to build applications quickly. Java is a more traditional programming language that is heavily used on the server side of things (like J2EE and JSP). It does a lot more than display applets to web pages. :)

wmcbrine
September 19th, 2009, 07:04 PM
All I want my app to do is display a window that says 'hello world'. I'll just write an inordinately long if/else statement to identify the OS and then pull in the appropriate API calls to create the window and write to it!If that's meant to be the Python experience... just use Tkinter. Not necessarily the prettiest, but then neither are Java's GUIs.

Although I have actually written a dual PyGtk/Tkinter program, switching at runtime, which I thought was pretty sweet.

Can+~
September 19th, 2009, 07:58 PM
No, no. Hear me out. All I want my app to do is display a window that says 'hello world'. I'll just write an inordinately long if/else statement to identify the OS and then pull in the appropriate API calls to create the window and write to it! I CAN'T FAIL!!!!!

JAVA BE GONE!!

...yeah right. Just because you see the words "virtual machine" doesn't mean it has anything to do with Java.

Care to explain? I'm not quite sure what you said there.

falconindy
September 19th, 2009, 09:36 PM
My implication is that, unlike Java, Python scripts aren't going to work universally across every platform. I don't know a lot of Python, but I'd imagine that GUI elements in particular would cause some issues.

Can+~
September 19th, 2009, 10:16 PM
My implication is that, unlike Java, Python scripts aren't going to work universally across every platform. I don't know a lot of Python, but I'd imagine that GUI elements in particular would cause some issues.

It would cause some issues, as GUI elements require the proper binding, except for TK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tk_%28framework%29) which comes packed with python.

Both Python and Java are cross platform, both are interpreted (compiled locally), but that never implies that it will work completely right or being "universal", because some of the most subtle differences can have a huge impact. There's a recurring joke "Write Once, Debug Everywhere".

In fact, I think I've rarely had any issues while porting python to other platforms, except for the wrongly hard coded paths, or that Windows requires having the open("filename", "rb") when opening binary files, and Linux is fine with both.

You sound like a blub programmer, some functional paradigm flakes in your breakfast could help you with that.

falconindy
September 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM
You sound like a blub programmer, some functional paradigm flakes in your breakfast could help you with that.
It's not for lack of interest in learning other languages, it's just that there's only so many hours in a day.

wmcbrine
September 20th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I don't know a lot of Python, but I'd imagine that GUI elements in particular would cause some issues.You'd imagine wrongly. A Python program using Tkinter will work without modification on all major platforms.

Next time maybe learn about it rather than just imagining, eh?

nvteighen
September 20th, 2009, 02:27 PM
What that project seems to be about is about replacing implementation rather than interface. The language will be unaffected... The VM will be. So, whatever Python code you have will still work there... maybe faster and more efficiently, but nothing else.