PDA

View Full Version : Netbooks for web developers

benjrooney
September 18th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I have a rather aged PowerBookG4 in need of replacement and am toying with the idea of getting an Ubuntu netbook in its place (a lot fewer $$$ or rather ).
I can find replacements for pretty well everything I use for web development (but giving up TextMate may be hard ...) and being in an all *nix environment should make life a bit simpler.
I do some, but not a lot, of graphic work (is Gimp really a viable alternative to PS?) although a lot of it tends to be image processing (resizing etc) so ImageMagick could do the heavy lifting. I reckon that InkScape will cover me for Illustrator (which I hardly use) and Scribus for the three times a year I still use Quark.
Am looking at the Dell 10-thingy but my main worry is the screen. I have the 15" PowerBook and I find that pretty good.
Before taking the plunge I was wondering what netbooks (or their ilk) are like to use for web development and if anyone has any experience /recommendations?
Many thanks.
Ben
PS. I have 9.04 running on an aged HP box at home love it - does everything I want and even my kids use it without any issues - well they do complain about the lack of a good MSN client. Teenagers ...

tturrisi
September 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM
You will hate the small screen...

benjrooney
September 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Oooo - I wish you hadn't said that. That was exactly what I am worried about ... Is it a real nightmare?
I suppose I could hook up a monitor at work and work off two screens ...