PDA

View Full Version : Online data storage services - Drop Box

e24ohm
September 18th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Has anyone used Drop Box? Is it good? I am looking for an free online data stroage site, that offers features as drop box.

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
better than anything i've tried. use it all the time

Tibuda
September 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Dropbox is really nice, works very well with Nautilus. There's also Spider Oak and Ubuntu One.

SomeGuyDude
September 18th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Great if you need to have instant sharing of LOTS of files between a few machines. As far as storage goes, I have external drives and a bunch of thumb drives for that.

e24ohm
September 18th, 2009, 03:06 PM
better than anything i've tried. use it all the time
thanks.

hessiess
September 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Personally I wouldn't trust it without first heavily encrypting the data.

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2009, 03:10 PM

IF you have something worth encrypting.

Moop
September 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM

From the Dropbox website.

Security & Privacy

Dropbox takes the security and privacy of your files very seriously.

Shared folders are viewable only by people you invite.
All transmission of file data and metadata occurs over an encrypted channel (SSL).
All files stored on Dropbox servers are encrypted (AES-256) and are inaccessible without your account password.
Dropbox website and client software have been hardened against attacks from hackers.
Dropbox employees are not able to view any user's files.
Online access to your files requires your username and password.
Public files are only viewable by people who have a link to the file(s). Public folders are not browsable or searchable.

som24
September 18th, 2009, 03:32 PM
its real damn good service

t0p
September 18th, 2009, 03:46 PM
From the Dropbox website.

Security & Privacy

Dropbox takes the security and privacy of your files very seriously.

Shared folders are viewable only by people you invite.
All transmission of file data and metadata occurs over an encrypted channel (SSL).
All files stored on Dropbox servers are encrypted (AES-256) and are inaccessible without your account password.
Dropbox website and client software have been hardened against attacks from hackers.
Dropbox employees are not able to view any user's files.
Online access to your files requires your username and password.
Public files are only viewable by people who have a link to the file(s). Public folders are not browsable or searchable.

Do you honestly believe that your Dropbox files are inaccesible? That if the police came with a court order to produce the contents of a dropbox, the admins wouldn't be able to give them your files?

I think the admins of a Dropbox are able to access what they like. Just because they say they can't, doesn't convince me.

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Do you honestly believe that your Dropbox files are inaccesible? That if the police came with a court order to produce the contents of a dropbox, the admins wouldn't be able to give them your files?

I think the admins of a Dropbox are able to access what they like. Just because they say they can't, doesn't convince me.

if you're that paranoid, you wouldn't use any service. moot point.

Moop
September 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM

All I did was quote what was on the dropbox site and didn't say I "believed" anything.

If you have a problem with that take it up with the dropbox people.

t0p
September 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
if you're that paranoid, you wouldn't use any service. moot point.

Not paranoid. Realistic.

If you have a problem with that take it up with the dropbox people.

You have misunderstood me. I don't "have a problem" with anything to do with Dropbox. Because I don't use Dropbox. And I have no problem with the police looking at my files if they have a warrant to do so.

I was just commenting on cloud comupting's privacy issues, and on the blind trust users have for the administrators of the storage servers.

YeOK
September 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM

I think your wrong. They use Amazon's S3 to store files, so Dropbox employees don't have access.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_S3

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Not paranoid. Realistic.

no, you're paranoid. you don't use your debit/credit card at restaurants either, do you?

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I think your wrong. They use Amazon's S3 to store files, so Dropbox employees don't have access.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_S3

interesting, thanks

MrWizard
October 28th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Dropbox is great. I've used it to sync between Windows and Ubuntu, and didn't run into any problems whatsoever. One of the most seamless products I've ever used. However, I was a little concerned with the confidentiality issue, as I keep some docs for work synced between machines. I'm now trying SpiderOak, which is much better if you're concerned about data security. They explain is well here (https://spideroak.com/engineering_matters#true_privacy). Plus, they've open-sourced many of the component pieces that they've developed for their service, which is kinda cool.

teet
October 28th, 2009, 01:09 AM
It's awesome. I set it up on my mom's computer so it will automatically back up her files (after her last hdd crashed and she lost a few documents that she hadn't saved to her flash drive).

Tip: You can create a sym-link between a folder you want to back up and a folder inside the /home/user/Dropbox folder. Then you can just go about your normal business and forget the /home/user/Dropbox folder even exists.

-teet

Mateo
October 28th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I like the idea of online storage, but I don't like the idea of having to manually upload stuff. I want desktop clients that automatically sync pre-chosen folders.

teet
October 28th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I like the idea of online storage, but I don't like the idea of having to manually upload stuff. I want desktop clients that automatically sync pre-chosen folders.

read post 18

Mateo
October 28th, 2009, 01:32 AM
wonderful!