PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pulling my hair out

StoopidPyro
September 18th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I have an Asus eee 1005hab. I've been trying to get the wireless and wired to work. I simply have to compile a new kernel, (2.6.30). - But, in order to do that, I have to have the application "patch" installed. When I use 'apt-get install patch' the process starts up fine, except, it asks for the cd.. I don't have the cd, since i used an ISO, on a seperate windows partition to install it. I obviously cant install it off the internet, because i'm trying to get the internet in the first place. No matter what i do, i can't mount a flash drive as a cdrom. When i attempt to mount the iso as a cdrom, it appears as a cdrom, but the "patch" installation just doesn't detect it. Does anyone have any tips to help me out? I just want my wireless to work!

StoopidPyro
September 18th, 2009, 05:08 AM
nevermind, i figured it out.

i did:

mount -o loop 'image.iso' /cdrom

boom. done. what a great way to start my membership with such a noob question. lol

running_rabbit07
September 18th, 2009, 05:13 AM
You may need to go to System>Administration>Software Sources and check the boxes for archive.canonical.com like in my screenshot. If by any chance there are any selections for ISOs or CDs then you need to uncheck them.