PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Can't update. dpkg --configure -a crashes

jsegel
September 18th, 2009, 04:28 AM
On a laptop, 9.04
Can't run apt-get anything, without getting an error saying dpkg interrupted,
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Doing so freezes the computer.

can't uninstall what's wrong, can't install anything, can't update anything. :confused:

wojox
September 18th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Try:

sudo apt-get -f install

Followed by:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

jsegel
September 18th, 2009, 05:37 AM
well, like i said:

Try:

sudo apt-get -f install

Followed by:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get -f install
fails,
"E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem."

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Setting up mono-gac (2.0.1-4ubuntu0.1) ...
* Installing 1 assembly from libgnome-keyring1.0-cil into Mono

results in a dead computer. mouse works, trying to run anything else gives endless spinning.

bumanie
September 18th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Could try
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

jsegel
September 18th, 2009, 07:10 AM
apt-get update or upgrade produce the same result.
apt-get anything at all won't finish, Errors about dpkg. same.

bumanie
September 18th, 2009, 08:36 AM
You may have to purge the broken package and then try to download it again.
sudo aptitude purge <name of package>This should get rid of the errant package and its config file.

jsegel
September 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
You may have to purge the broken package and then try to download it again. This should get rid of the errant package and its config file.

thanks for the suggestion, but this produces the same error. (dpkg was interrupted, etc)

btw i was trying to purge mono, but any aptitude command produces the same result.

jsegel
September 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM
:KS
I believe this problem is over,
I installed dselect and used that in favor of dpkg
sudo dselect
choosing config and all
somehow this took care of the config of packages that running dpkg --configure -a would cause the computer to crash.
fingers crossed but it appears that apt-get update works, apt-get upgrade is also working.

jsegel
September 19th, 2009, 09:55 PM
agh, spoke too soon, it's hung on:

* Installing 1 assembly from libgnome-keyring1.0-cil into MONO

should i assume that somehow it's MONO that's screwed up?:(

jsegel
September 19th, 2009, 10:43 PM
many tries to make it through:

sudo apt-get remove --purge mono-runtime mono-common libmono0

results in

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

running smoothly and completing.

Mono "provides the necessary software to develop and run .NET client and server applications on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows, and Unix."

why is it in Ubuntu to begin with?

look here for alternatives to Mono-based apps:
http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/08/04/how-to-remove-mono-m-from-ubuntu-hardy-heron/
:popcorn:

directhex
September 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM
why is it in Ubuntu to begin with?

Because the desktop team want F-Spot and Tomboy, which happen to be written in C#

polarberg
October 19th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Hi. Just installed ubuntu-studio and am having the same problem. Package manager hung and I had to force shutdown, thus leaving a bunch of broken packages, and dpkg --configure -a hangs on openoffice.org-emailmerge. Escaping causes it to hang on atomix-data, which i then can't escape out of.

I've tried every suggestion in this thread to no avail. Running "Repair broken packages" in recovery mode as suggested here (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1288763.html) runs dpkg with the last line "Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!" There are a couple "can't remove ... : no such file or directory" errors at the beginning of dpkg's output (in recovery mode) but I can't catch what they refer to.

My level of experience is pretty low - I tried Linux once when I was a kid but it was years ago; this install is a few days old.

(The moral seems to be: Don't install too many packages at once.)

polarberg
October 19th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Well, solved, kinda. In case this happens to anyone else:

dpkg -r <package>

which in my case was openoffice.org-emailmerge. Same thing apparently happened to this (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1234869.html) person, and openoffice appears to cause problems with ubuntu-studio. This worked fine for me, but it's hanging again on ca-certificates-java, which I couldn't remove due to dependency issues. So I ran:

apt-get purge ca-certificates-java

which gave me a daunting list of packages which would be removed but nothing's broken yet. Hopefully I didn't just give ubuntu a heart attack.