PDA

View Full Version : Programs that take the longest to compile.

dragos240
September 18th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Just a random topic. I think VLC and OpenOffice take the longest.

juancarlospaco
September 18th, 2009, 01:29 AM
KDE4.x from sources...
:)

tcoffeep
September 18th, 2009, 01:30 AM
KDE4.x from sources...
:)

The worst experience I ever had was installing KDE3 on Gentoo. And after a week, upgrading to KDE4.

Bachstelze
September 18th, 2009, 01:35 AM
The worst experience I ever had was installing KDE3 on Gentoo. And after a week, upgrading to KDE4.

So you weren't there for the Big Xorg Migration (6 to 7)?

tcoffeep
September 18th, 2009, 02:12 AM

I was with Arch for the Xorg upgrade that caused a lot of problems. (can't be sure how long ago that was.)

scragar
September 18th, 2009, 02:24 AM

Why? I've never really understood why anyone would choose KDE with gentoo anyway, I mean the computing time taken to compile it is so huge it's painful to think about, let alone try, to do that yourself, for every single upgrade?

The only thing I've ever seen take longer to compile is android, but then android's an entire OS, KDE is just a WM.

PurposeOfReason
September 18th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I wasn't there for that, but GCC upgrades are far worse.

tcoffeep
September 18th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Why? I've never really understood why anyone would choose KDE with gentoo anyway, I mean the computing time taken to compile it is so huge it's painful to think about, let alone try, to do that yourself, for every single upgrade?

The only thing I've ever seen take longer to compile is android, but then android's an entire OS, KDE is just a WM.

It was my first time using gentoo. I underestimated :>

I now use dwm.

rifak
September 18th, 2009, 02:52 AM
i haven't done any compiling of window managers, but what i have done that takes the longest is a physics research programming environment called ROOT. the 64 bit version was a mess to try and get working and took a long time. its a wonderful tool though after it's finished.

kevdog
September 18th, 2009, 02:54 AM
and I thought pidgin took a while to compile??? Guess I was wrong!

Firestem4
September 18th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Now how long are we talking here..minutes? hours? I compiled Nagios from source...small program but took nearly 30 minutes to compile on the machine I was using. (Dell XPS M1210)

~sHyLoCk~
September 18th, 2009, 03:12 AM
and I thought pidgin took a while to compile??? Guess I was wrong!

Not that long, Xulrunner takes a long time. Openoffice takes day. :D

scragar
September 18th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Now how long are we talking here..minutes? hours?

An
emerge kdetook round about 2 days on a G4/400 with 960MB RAM. But there was no qt or any other stuff installed so far, just the base system and xfree (which took round about 2 and a half hours)
Days.

C!oud
September 18th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I've compiled KDE4 loads of times and it isn't too bad although it takes a number of hours. The worst for me has to be open office although I hate gcc and firefox updates.

~sHyLoCk~
September 18th, 2009, 04:21 AM
I've compiled KDE4 loads of times and it isn't too bad although it takes a number of hours. The worst for me has to be open office although I hate gcc and firefox updates.

Firefox update is still ok, but gcc update = 1st gcc compile takes a few hours and then to ensure links are intact you might have to do
emerge -ev system && emerge -ev world && revdep-rebuild which is gonna take a few days depending on your number of packages. :popcorn:

scragar
September 18th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Firefox update is still ok, but gcc update = 1st gcc compile takes a few hours and then to ensure links are intact you might have to do
emerge -ev system && emerge -ev world && revdep-rebuild which is gonna take a few days depending on your number of packages. :popcorn:

Yet another reason to invest in your own cluster of super computers... :p

MaxIBoy
September 18th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Yeesh, and I thought the kernel was bad...

C!oud
September 18th, 2009, 04:34 AM

In all honesty when I used gentoo, unless it was a major update rather than rebuilding my entire system I generally only rebuilt libtool.