PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Install, Genesis

BothEyesShut
September 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hello all,

I've decided that I want to run Linux on my new 1T hard drive for all my usual web surfing and other operations (viewing movies, listening to music, Open Office, et cetera) but I'm also an avid gamer. I've studied enough to understand that I will want to keep XP for my gaming software, but that's all I want to use it for if I can help it.

I have many music and movie files on the old NTFS 500 gig HD, which I plan to use through Ubuntu.

I need recommendations on how to work this out, if anyone has a spare moment :).

Should I have two partitions on the new 1T HD and dual-boot? If I do, can I still use the files on my old drive; will I have to transfer them to the Ubuntu partition? Can I even do that? What if I made the new drive an XP drive and formatted the old one for strictly Ubuntu use? Does that sound plausible, and if so would I have to delete all the movies, music, and pictures from the XP drive?

Sorry I'm no good at brevity, but I thought one post were better than ten.

Thanks in advance, Linux community. I can't wait to be acquainted well enough to help out myself.

-Sean