PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Vodafone mobile connect.

pirate paul
September 17th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hi, after weeks I have got the Vodafone logo to come up on my screen. I am using VMC but when I need to top up my cred, I have to reinstall windows so that I can put a top up voucher number in, I do not know how much cred I have got left. Then reinstall Ubuntu, cheese and all the bits that go with it.

How do I get the voda box to come up, so I can top up with Ubuntu and not have to reinstall windows ever again. I am not too good with computers, take it easy.

Thanx.

solitaire
September 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM
The VMC is a generic 3G connection manager (although Vodafone created it they did not intend it for only their network).

I'm assuming you're in the UK??

As for top-up can't you log into the Vodafone website to register top-ups instead?

Not sure but you should get access to those pages even if you're out of credit on your 3G device?
(I'm with "three" UK and i can always access their pages even when i'm out of credit or data allowance, for top-ups).

Have you tried using "VMware"? you can install a virtual windows (you can use it without rebooting) and that should give Vodafone's Windows software access to the 3G dongle so you can top-up.

But see if you can access their "my Account" section and log in there to register a top-up.

pirate paul
September 17th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I am not sure what VMware is, I am not too good with computers but learning fast.... Please explain.

When I run out of cred the Voda site comes up, but I cannot top up because when I put in a voucher number they reply with a code to my voda sms. The voda sms is in the box that does not come up.... if it came up I would not need their website because I can just put the voucher number in and it's done ....catch 22.

Thanx.

solitaire
September 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
VMC should show you the SMS message! I use it to send and receive SMS's all the time with my "three" 3G dongle.

I've not got any experience with the way Vodafone handles Pay-As-You-Go top-ups
Hopefully someone else has used it and can help you more....

Also:

VirtualBox is a program that lets you install a full install of Windows within Ubuntu you can then use this virtual image of Windows to run the Vodafone's software..

http://www.virtualbox.org/

mi_were
September 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Dare I suggest that wine would be a better option to installing windows in vware or virtualbox.

I would be very surprised of the vodafone software would not work just fine under wine.

Just an idea.

pirate paul
September 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM
What is wine? I can find a wine forum on Ubuntu forums, but I cannot find it on my computer.
I messed about with virtual box which is on my computer... it does not seem to do any thing, its just another couple of mind boggling words on the screen,

The VMC logo is on the screen but when I click on it , the wheel thing rotates for a min, then goes off.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pirate paul
September 18th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I am not sure how or why but I think there might be a child lock thinggy on my computer.

How do I remove it? Thats twice it has said child something hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I wonder.

Any bright ideas ?

Thanx.

t0p
September 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
While you have credit, go to online.vodafone.co.uk (http://online.vodafone.co.uk) and register a new account. Then in future, before your credit runs out, go to your local post office or newsagents and buy a vodafone topup voucher for 15. Then go back to online.vodafone.co.uk and login. You'll now see various options, including one to activate a topup voucher. Activate the voucher you bought. That will add the 15 to your account.

Just make sure you do all this before your credit runs out, unless you have another way to get online. I've got a vodafone hsdpa dongle and I do all this regularly, so I know it works.

pirate paul
September 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hi, when I went into vodafone they said I could set up an account, fill in the voucher number, they then send an activation code to my sms email account, I then fill in the activation code and the cred is in my account.

I do not have the sms box on my screen, if I did there would not be a prob.

I have found an adobe launcher thinggy ........... it says.....................

There was an error launching the application.
Details: Failed to execute child process ''/home/paul/.update-manager-core/meta-release''
(permission denied)

Any bright ideas?

Thanx.

solitaire
September 20th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hi, when I went into vodafone they said I could set up an account, fill in the voucher number, they then send an activation code to my sms email account, I then fill in the activation code and the cred is in my account.

I do not have the sms box on my screen, if I did there would not be a prob.

I have found an adobe launcher thinggy ........... it says.....................

There was an error launching the application.
Details: Failed to execute child process ''/home/paul/.update-manager-core/meta-release''
(permission denied)

Any bright ideas?

Thanx.

what version of the vodafone software are you using in Ubnutu?