PDA

View Full Version : "Have You Taken The Plunge?"

HokeyFry
February 7th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I was just wondering who has taken the plunge and uses ONLY linux (no windows or macOS, not even for games).

For the record, I did, and I love it.\\:D/

I have set up my machine for mainly internet, music, and video (although I can't figure out how to watch movies that require a Windows Media Player plugin; i have to manually download it and watch in VLC). Since Windows crashed my family has kind of had linux "forced" on them. My dad likes it :shock:, but frowns at the lack of iPod support (namely iTunes), although I have shown him some alternatives to manage his iPod. Even though we could easily put Windows back on our comp, I think it's here to stay.

Lord Illidan
February 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM
By mistake I removed my windows partition while installing another distro on another partition. So I said, what the hell, I don't need Windows, and I haven't even bothered to reinstall it.. What's the use..

I hadn't used Windows since December, when I finished the last level of Battle for Middle Earth. Then it developed a problem with the internet connection. So I just switched fulltime to Ubuntu. Then I also installed Linux on 2 school computers which I work on at school, for programming etc. Oh, and I carry around a live cd eveywhere. I don't use Windows if I can help it.

jamesford
February 7th, 2006, 11:32 PM
i kept a dual boot with xp for a while, then i accidently fvcked xp up and meant to reinstall..then some months later i realised i had never got around to reinstalling it, so i figured why bother.
i still kept a partition containing my xp settings, many apps (apps that dont require reinstallation after a format/reinstall) and so on. a couple of months later and i decided that wasnt needed either, so i burned it on a couple of dvds and used the partition for linux stuff instead..now i only use these dvds if i need to send a windows program or something to my friends.

still got xp on vmware tho, purely cos of pplive and other p2p tv streaming apps. once we get linux apps like that vmware wont be needed either

matthew
February 7th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I have. Lots of others have as well, according to this thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6894

matva
February 8th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I have. Lots of others have as well, according to this thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6894

Not me. Lack of gaming support has made me stay with windows. Actually, i'm moving more and more towards windows... dual booting just isn't practical. Sad, cause i love ubuntu:*(

stoffe
February 8th, 2006, 12:42 AM
I have, since a few years back - first Gentoo, then Ubuntu since Warty. I still used Windows at school for quite some time, but now I have Ubuntu on my work computer also and am better off because of it.

Actually, since a few days back I've broken this, since I bought a new laptop which came with XP Home preinstalled. I've been playing a little with it just for kicks. Not actually doing anything though, so I don't feel like I'm cheating. But don't tell that to my real partition schhh!

rfruth
February 8th, 2006, 12:46 AM
No more XP for me, I do have an older (but fully functional) G3 iMac somewhere ... ;)

rudeboyskunk
February 8th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I did have XP and was running WoW, then got rid of it in favor of Win98 cuz it's way better. Then I just decided to get rid of it all, and started paying for Cedega to run WoW in Ubuntu. I got rid of Win98 on my other hard drive and put Fedora C4 on it. Seriously, once you've gotten used to Linux, no matter what distro, you realize how much Windows just doesn't cut it (especially when you get Cedega and Mplayer).

soulestream
February 8th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Not me. Lack of gaming support has made me stay with windows. Actually, i'm moving more and more towards windows... dual booting just isn't practical. Sad, cause i love ubuntu:*(

Buy an xbox/playstation

problem solved

soule

HokeyFry
February 8th, 2006, 01:07 AM
By Rudeboyskunk: I did have XP and was running WoW, then got rid of it in favor of Win98 cuz it's way better. Then I just decided to get rid of it all, and started paying for Cedega to run WoW in Ubuntu. I got rid of Win98 on my other hard drive and put Fedora C4 on it. Seriously, once you've gotten used to Linux, no matter what distro, you realize how much Windows just doesn't cut it (especially when you get Cedega and Mplayer).

no kidding. What r ur specs, cause my friend runs cedega and its really slow for him with any 3d games (aka. MOHAA and Halo)

qalimas
February 8th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I have, for well over a year now.

rharris
February 8th, 2006, 04:00 AM
New Years resolution was to ditch Microshaft and *******, so spent new Years Eve setting up Ubuntu on two towers and a laptop O_o with the occasional snort of Booker's Bourbon for good measure.

Moral of the story is that I don't regret it a bit and I hav'nt looked back since as Ubuntu does everything I need and more. Besides what I don't know or remember from my Unix days, I can always learn again.

Take care everyone..................

Rob

Protex
February 8th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I'm all Linux now, and loving it.

Makes me feel special. =)

iceburgh
February 8th, 2006, 05:14 AM
I've been dual boot for a while, but have been focusing more on staying out of MS. A couple apps yet I still rarely have to get into because I haven't been able to get them working with wine.

Trying tho! :)

annsachd
February 8th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Work requires a Mac.

At home though I've been using only Ubuntu. No biggie. Not missing out on much that I can think of.

bluevoodoo1
February 8th, 2006, 06:08 AM
I started using Ubuntu about 5-6 months now, but I've been all Linux for about 3 months now.

But, someday, probably soon... I will have to go back to XP to work on some guitar transcriptions with Finale. If I could only get Finale stop messing with terminal fonts... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=118876 , get MIDI to work with it AND have printing work with it... THEN I could ditch XP forever!

PaulMellors
February 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM
to get windows WMV working you need to do a search on the net for the file,

w32codecs_20050412-0unofficialubuntu2_i386.deb

then run the command
sudo dpkg -i w32codecs_20050412-0unofficialubuntu2_i386.deb

ssstrx
February 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM
microsoft windows? whats that
have run fedora for 2 years no trying ubuntu

angeleyes
February 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM
\\:D/
I really like Ubuntu ..and wouldnt care at all to lose Windows but hubby and kids wont make the switch ..so Im stuck dual booting ..Although recently I had to delete my windows because of boot problem(but lookin to buy a copy of Me or XP to reinstall)so all we have is Ubuntu ..hmmmm maybe once their on here using it theyll change thier minds.
But until then ..anyone got a XP or ME full version for cheap??

Ubuntuud
February 8th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Once I got my new computer and my first linux cd (a month or two ago), I didn't even look at the preinstalled windows, inmediatly installed ubuntu and took a direct plunge.

GeneralZod
February 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I accidentally trashed my Windows partition installing Gentoo; never re-installed.

UT04 and lbreakout2 are the only games I need :D

Stormy Eyes
February 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I was just wondering who has taken the plunge and uses ONLY linux (no windows or macOS, not even for games).

I took the plunge back in 1999.

xequence
February 8th, 2006, 10:17 PM
No, I havnt.

I took the plunge back in 1999.

"I liked it before it was cool!"