PDA

View Full Version : facebook, no thanks.

stuart.reinke
September 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I've been getting pressure from my brother, sister, and a few friends to get myself on Facebook.

I have no desire to so. If I want someone to know something about me or my life, I'll send them the info directly.

Have I missed the point about social networking?

Am I missing out on something really neat?

Tristam Green
September 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
You don't need to quantify any answer about facebook or any other social networking site.

If you don't want to use it, don't use it.

sydbat
September 17th, 2009, 03:14 PM
You don't need to quantify any answer about facebook or any other social networking site.

If you don't want to use it, don't use it.^^This^^

Also, in my opinion, sites like facebook are more social engineering than networking...

Skripka
September 17th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I've been getting pressure from my brother, sister, and a few friends to get myself on Facebook.

I have no desire to so. If I want someone to know something about me or my life, I'll send them the info directly.

You're missing out on: being a data-mining victom, and not having a life.

TuckLive
September 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM

And getting hit by Malware.

Simian Man
September 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Wow you guys must all be so cool for bucking the facebook trend! What rebels! :)

sim-value
September 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I was also anti-Facebook ... until Boredom did what 2 month constant Threatment couldnt : I signed Up !

Same for my Friend ... so you just need to get REALLY bored and the rest will go from itself ...

BrokenKingpin
September 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I also have no interest in Facebook. I have no problems keeping in touch with friends with other communication technologies... such as IM. I guess I just have no interest keeping in touch with people I knew “back in the day”. If I did, they would be on my IM list and would still talk to them on a regular basis.

ticopelp
September 17th, 2009, 03:51 PM
You're not missing much, unless you like small talk and pointless clicky apps that tell you what Muppet you are or whatever.

I use FB, but I log in about once a week and block every app that gets sent to me. If you're getting hassled about joining, you can always just sign up and then completely ignore it.

Tristam Green
September 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Wow you guys must all be so cool for bucking the facebook trend! What rebels! :)

Seriously.

stuart.reinke
September 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks. I was starting to think that I was missing the boat. Guess I'm not the only person that is content to let it sail without me.

khelben1979
September 17th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Agreed.

I've registered there myself mainly to show what movies I like to watch. There's so much things with Facebook which don't makes it attractive for myself to use.

I mostly don't want to put my life up on Facebook because of security reasons, I don't trust the security of Facebook.

Although I must confess that it's pretty easy to use and you never need to use features you don't like. I find a lot of Facebook to be a total waste of time.

MasterNetra
September 17th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I'm on it for the sake of communications with friends and I'm addicted to Farmville :p

AlexanderDGreat
September 17th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Hey we have the same dilemma. But I honestly say, I hate Facebook, Friendster, and the like!

I guess learning about computers too much makes one an introvert.

A friend of mine told me I'm missing information goldmine in Facebook. Why would somebody else's life be my business? I just don't get it.

Am I wrong?

steeleyuk
George Clooney agrees: :D

"I'd rather have a rectal examination on live TV by a fellow with cold hands than have a Facebook page.” (http://www.inquisitr.com/37351/george-clooney-would-rather-have-a-rectal-examination-on-live-tv-than-join-a-social-networking-site/)

ElSlunko
It can be a very useful tool for some people. And it can turn some people into tools as well. I suppose you have to gauge your BS tolerance level. It's nice to randomly hear that my nephew's hockey team won 3-2 this past Saturday. I can send him a little message saying "Awesome! Great job!". He gets the message, he's family, and that's important to me. It's not likely that he or my sister will be IMing every single person they know and telling them so it just kinda puts it out there for those that "might care".

Now you raise the BS levels a few notches and all of a sudden you're hearing about people's random thoughts or what they ate this morning or how wonderful their feet feel. I mean if things like this get on your nerves then yeah, FB might be a detriment to your happiness more than it helps.

Finally! As a photographer who is just starting out, open networking is very important to me. I'm a pretty friendly guy so I like to keep an open pipeline of communication and updates so people can better gauge the type of person I am before doing business with me.

It's just a tool that can be useful, depending on your needs/desires. Or, its a tool to make you look like a tool, ;P.

khelben1979
September 17th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Why would somebody else's life be my business? I just don't get it.

Am I wrong?

You might be wrong, it depends if you have a girlfriend up there on Facebook or not. :D

chucky chuckaluck
September 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
it's great for staying in touch with people you wouldn't want to spend more effort to stay in touch with.

chriskin
September 17th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Perfectly said

on the other hand, facebook and the rest of those social networking sites can get you to actually meet some new people, something that will only happen only if you want to spend MANY hours on them, much more than it will take to meet someone in a bar for certain :P

stuart.reinke
September 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks. I was starting to think that I missed the boat with this Facebook thing.

Guess not.

It seems I won't be left standing on the dock alone.

We should all get together on MySpace and talk about it. :lolflag:

MasterNetra
September 17th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Hey we have the same dilemma. But I honestly say, I hate Facebook, Friendster, and the like!

I guess learning about computers too much makes one an introvert.

A friend of mine told me I'm missing information goldmine in Facebook. Why would somebody else's life be my business? I just don't get it.

Am I wrong?

I was Introverted before I was introduced to Computers. People can be into computers and be outgoing.

qamelian
September 17th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I used to be extremely anti-facebook, but now I'm glad I use it. I've reconnected with friends I lost contact with over the years due to people (myself include) moving around. I avoid most of the nonsense available through facebook and just use it for what it is: an easy method of communicating and sharing with friends who aren't necessarily all close enough to just drop by for a coffee! :)

ticopelp
September 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM
A friend of mine told me I'm missing information goldmine in Facebook.

I guess anything's possible...

MasterNetra
September 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I used to be extremely anti-facebook, but now I'm glad I use it. I've reconnected with friends I lost contact with over the years due to people (myself include) moving around. I avoid most of the nonsense available through facebook and just use it for what it is: an easy method of communicating and sharing with friends who aren't necessarily all close enough to just drop by for a coffee! :)

Or friends not close enough to do drive by's shooting coffee :p

chriskin
September 17th, 2009, 04:39 PM

as is messenger, isn't it?

qamelian
September 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM
it's great for staying in touch with people you wouldn't want to spend more effort to stay in touch with.
Or wouldn't be able to find time to stay in touch with otherwise. For some of us, our schedules mean the only methods of keeping in touch are facebook or bulk email. It isn't a matter of not wanting to spend more effort. It's a matter of there only being 24 hours in a day.

qamelian
September 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
as is messenger, isn't it?
Except that messenging is much more limited in the ways it allows you to interact with your friends. You can get the same level of interaction by combining several methods (IM, Flickr, sharing events via Google Calendar, etc.) or you can have it all under one roof. I just choose to have it all in one place. Also, the only IM some of my friends use is, in fact, Facebook Chat. Go figure! :)

qamelian
September 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Or friends not close enough to do drive by's shooting coffee :p
We must share some of the same friends. :)

hoppipolla
September 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM

I dunno man, it's one of those things - some people like it others don't.

I quite like it, I use it like an address book or something, to keep lots of contacts in one place :) It's also quite cool when you're bored :)

Overall though I much prefer Twitter personally :)

hoppipolla
September 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM

I agree with that, it's a great way of getting in touch with old friends :)

I have found that most people who really don't like it have just never used it! :)

ElSlunko
September 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I don't like being anti-anything until I actually try it out. Yeah it can be a gold mine. For my business I've gotten quite a few jobs not BECAUSE of facebook, but facilitated through facebook. It's IM feature is nice though buggy as of late and you can't knock the FB team. They've done a really great job at creating something useful without allowing the end-user to *bleep* it all up. Just look at myspace, visiting anyone's page is a freaking trainwreck. Communication is very sparse on there too.

That said, yeah IM is a more PURE way of communication, but you're limited in some sense as FB offers more organizational features that IM doesn't. Does society depend on it? No of course not. I'd hate to see the day our lives are run by electronic devices (and apple seems to be making strides in that field, I mean really? an app that decides what I eat?) but you can't knock a useful tool, even if people use it for un-useful things.

ElSlunko
September 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
oops! double post

coldReactive
September 17th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Yeah, and I don't use it either. The only sites that come close to social networking that I really use are tumblr (barely anymore), youtube, deviantArt, Wakoopa and twitter (barely.)

tcoffeep
September 17th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I'm happy I'm using it. I moved away from my hometown 6 years ago without warning in the middle of the night (my father basically said 'you're packed lets go'), and I lost touch with some of my closest friends. Just this week, a whole bunch of people from my school there added me, and it's nice to reconnect with people i thought i lost :)

Jesus_Valdez
September 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
hey, I too was anti-social networking until I tried it. For boredom I open a myspace, hi5 and facebook account one afternoon, months later the only thing I really use is Facebook.

I can play games and show bunch of people how better person I am because I beat them on trivias.

I don't use it to "get in contact with people" because I pretty much hate people.

And I update the status via Tweetdeck, syncing Facebook status, Twitter and Emesene, wich I think its pretty nice and I can tell people how much dumb are on different sites at the same time.

gtr32
September 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
It's just a tool that can be useful, depending on your needs/desires. Or, its a tool to make you look like a tool, ;P.

You pretty much summed up Facebook and how you can use it. I am living in North America and my relatives are all in Europe. It's a nice way to keep in touch casually.

Tristam Green
September 17th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Time for me to snob it up.

I have been a part of Facebook before the social networking revolution, when it was effectively a clone of Classmates.com, but for college students only. As a matter of fact, it was so new, my (at the time) college didn't have an entry yet, and I had to petition to get one made, while using an email address from another college I previously attended.

While I dislike a lot of the direction it's taken in the past 3 years, I do like a lot of the functionality in it. The built-in chat program saves me on my wireless bill, the message system saves me lots of time on unnecessary email cleanup, and it's a good way for me to find music I otherwise wouldn't find (arguably, the same with last.fm or Pandora).

I enjoy the picture sharing aspects of it, and really use it as my blog rather than a proper blog like wordpress or blogger.com.

However, I have no problem with anyone who dislikes it, or doesn't want to be a part of it. I won't ask them "but whyyyyy!?" when they say they don't want to have a Facebook account lol.

infestor
September 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
for a sneaky ******* (like me) facebook is a great tool to check on the chicks background :p they tend to overstuff their profile

Mateo
September 18th, 2009, 01:08 AM
facebook is starting to fall on hard times because too many people have accounts, so there's no sense of privacy for it's users. when everyone you know can see what you do in an application, where is the fun. Facebook, I believe, will have to adapt with the times or it will go the way of MySpace and become a niche service (although MySpace has, smartly, put more focus on its music business recently).

Mateo
September 18th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I agree with that, it's a great way of getting in touch with old friends :)

Old friends being the key term here. If you really cared about them (and they about you), you wouldn't have lost touch with them in the first place. I have found that after the initial fun of "catching up", it becomes stale and another chore, another inbox that you have to check.

-=hazard=-
September 18th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I think facebook is a lose of time. I know people that use it like 4 hours a day, but this people identify internet or PC with facebook. If you ask them, do you use internet? And the answer is, Yes I have a facebook account... I mean if you have 4 free hours a day you can use them at least to learn something not just spend time in a website that is abusing with people privacy. I think that facebook will get the end of hi5 or myspace :)

Ms_Angel_D
September 18th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Facebook itself has become a great way for me and my VERY large family to keep in touch. We don't all live near one another, so we all pretty much have accounts to keep up with one another. As far as using it to actually meet new people...I've never done that.

sideaway
September 18th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Facebook is here to stay. block all apps, limit the info you put on your page and it becomes a very handy organisation/communication tool.

HappyFeet
September 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM

Exactly.

HappyFeet
September 18th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Facebook itself has become a great way for me and my VERY large family to keep in touch. We don't all live near one another, so we all pretty much have accounts to keep up with one another.

What did you do before facebook? Actually call someone? Or write them? Or go see them? Heaven forbid. ;)

HappyFeet
September 18th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I'm happy I'm using it. I moved away from my hometown 6 years ago without warning in the middle of the night (my father basically said 'you're packed lets go'), and I lost touch with some of my closest friends. Just this week, a whole bunch of people from my school there added me, and it's nice to reconnect with people i thought i lost :)
I just think this whole mentality of keeping "in touch" 24/7 has gotten out of hand. I don't need to know what everyone is doing at all times. If I need to get in touch, I will call or email them. Done. Facebook seems over the top.

Ms_Angel_D
September 18th, 2009, 02:10 AM
What did you do before facebook? Actually call someone? Or write them? Or go see them? Heaven forbid. ;)

lol actually with my family being as large it is, lot's times we didn't communicate, not half as much as we do now. As a said we don't all live nearby and just to give you an idea of the size of my family:

When my Grandmother on my mothers sided Passed away 3 yrs ago she was survived by 7 children 32 grandchildren 42 great grandchildren & 22 great great grand children

My Grandfather on my dad's side passed last year and was survived by 12 children 52 grand children, 37 great grandchildren & 28 great great grandchildren.

So yeah it can be hard to keep up.

But since the internet and sites like facebook it's helped us keep in touch and communicate better.

Nobody said we keep in touch 24/7 but you try keeping a regular address book updated with that many relatives info....lmao. This way everyone is responsible for updating their own stuff.

qamelian
September 18th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Old friends being the key term here. If you really cared about them (and they about you), you wouldn't have lost touch with them in the first place.

That isn't true at all. Sometimes life makes it difficult or almost impossible to keep up with the people you care about. I have a job that sometimes keeps me occupied for up to 17 hours per day for weeks on end. I have friends who have been sent out of the country due to their work sometimes for as much as 4 or 5 years. Under some conditions, it is very easy to lose touch with the people you care about. It isn't up to you decide what level or frequency of contact indicates genuine caring between friends.

etnlIcarus
September 18th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I can understand some people having a use for Facebook but I'm not one of them.

Same goes for most of these fads. One of the few times I've succumbed to the trend was during the days of Live Journal; I deleted my blog less than an hour after starting it, however.

IRC and MSN are about as contemporary as I get.

etnlIcarus
September 18th, 2009, 03:17 AM

This is a pretty healthy attitude. Too few people share your self-imposed boundaries, opting instead to peer voyeuristically into the lives of everyone they know. That would be bad enough, if they didn't then use whatever information they could gather to gossip and interfere with those peoples' lives.

Tipped OuT
September 18th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Facebook itself has become a great way for me and my VERY large family to keep in touch. We don't all live near one another, so we all pretty much have accounts to keep up with one another. As far as using it to actually meet new people...I've never done that.

What happened to cell phones and e-mails?

Ms_Angel_D
September 18th, 2009, 03:22 AM
What happened to cell phones and e-mails?

This answers your question...

lol actually with my family being as large it is, lot's times we didn't communicate, not half as much as we do now. As a said we don't all live nearby and just to give you an idea of the size of my family:

When my Grandmother on my mothers sided Passed away 3 yrs ago she was survived by 7 children 32 grandchildren 42 great grandchildren & 22 great great grand children

My Grandfather on my dad's side passed last year and was survived by 12 children 52 grand children, 37 great grandchildren & 28 great great grandchildren.

So yeah it can be hard to keep up.

But since the internet and sites like facebook it's helped us keep in touch and communicate better.

Nobody said we keep in touch 24/7 but you try keeping a regular address book updated with that many relatives info....lmao. This way everyone is responsible for updating their own stuff.

We do switch emails, but this does help. The other day I was able to get in contact with a cousin I hadn't talked to in well over 10 years, because we live so far apart...so in some instances facebook helps.

larky
September 18th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I would rather be chopped in half live on TV than join facebook.:)

Tharkun
September 18th, 2009, 03:32 AM
No, I have better things to do with my time.

Tipped OuT
September 18th, 2009, 03:33 AM
This answers your question...

We do switch emails, but this does help. The other day I was able to get in contact with a cousin I hadn't talked to in well over 10 years, because we live so far apart...so in some instances facebook helps.

Oh, okay.

Chronon
September 18th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I have an account. I rarely get on, but find it a useful way to stay in touch with folks and to organize parties, trips to music festivals, etc.

Dharmachakra
September 18th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I don't understand why some of you insist to quibble about Facebook. What's the problem with using it to keep in touch with people?

Anyways, I've had a Facebook for four years now. It's basically required in high school. I plan on keeping my account through college too.

etnlIcarus
September 18th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I don't understand why some of you insist to quibble about Facebook.

Who's quibbling?

Tipped OuT
September 18th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Who's quibbling?

95% of the people on this thread? lol

etnlIcarus
September 18th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Last I checked, almost all of the negative comments were regarding why the poster, themselves, wouldn't touch facebook with a 10-foot-pole. Dharmachakra's post looks suspiciously like another 'stop picking on (by which we mean disagreeing with) us', post.

purgatori
September 18th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Facebook is, I presume, most useful for those who have a lot of friends -- I do not. Even if I did, I doubt very much that I'd get much out of Facebook. I use Google Talk and Mail, but that's about it; all these social networking apps are simply not for misandrist introverts like me.

Swagman
September 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I'm on Facebook for crap games like Mafia Wars and Farm Town.

YES.. I'm a saddo

But

You No messa wivva da GoddaFather

I keel you... Vereee slowly !!

t0p
September 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
When you're opening a webmail (Gmail, Yahoo etc) account, you usually need to select a security question and supply the answer. For instance, "What school did you go to?" This question is part of the password recovery system, whereby you prove to the webmail provider that you really are you.

When an evil "hacker" wants to access your webmail, he'll take a look at your security question and try to guess the answer. And very often it's possible to find the answer in the target's Facebook/Myspace/whatever Profile. For example, the "hacker" sees that your security question is "What college did you go to?". The "hacker" searches the social networking sites and finds your profile. And whaddaya know, the profile contains the name of your college! Armed with this information, Mr "Hacker" returns to the webmail site, answers the security question, and hey presto: he's in!

Of course you can neutralize this threat by choosing a security question that has nothing to do with your biography. But most people don't think of this when they're setting up their webmail account. So beware: Facebook/Myspace/whatever social networking sites are a major resource for evil "hackers". Be careful what info you disclose.

stinger30au
September 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM

nope, your not missing anything

i have email, a mobile phone and a home phone number and a postal address and live in a nice house

if you cant reach me by any of these, then you dont need to reach me

nothingspecial
September 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I hate facebook.

But I have an account.

Apparentley I can`t be married on the internet unless I have a facebook account.

and I said but we are married..

..but I need you to have an account so I can be married to you...

...but we are married...

..not on Facebook....

...but I don`t want a facebook account

...well you need one, otherwise I can`t be married to you...

..wtf..

...get an account

(I know my place) ..ok

And now I get loads of bloody emails off people who want to be my friend.
Some of them are my friends already - huh

Some of them are aquaintances or sisters of people I know or business contacts, some of them are people I`ve not seen for years (and some of them for a reason).

Most of them I`ve never heard of!!!

I want to delete my account but then I won`t be married anymore
:confused:

And on top of all that she left All American Rejects on repeat while we went away for 2 weeks and lastfm thinks I`m an emo

Stupid internet

forrestcupp
September 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I signed up because it helped me find a bunch of old friends that I haven't seen for many years. It was great for that, and I was able to get back in contact with quite a few of them.

But even though I only talk to those friends once in a great while, I have to be subjected to the constant annoying harassments that take place on a daily basis. Every day I get 10 notifications of people who want to kidnap me, or beg me to join their mafia. I'm constantly getting people wanting me to take some stupid quiz or accept a gift of a little picture of a chicken leg or something. And if for some reason of etiquette I choose to reciprocate with some stupid picture, everyone in the world can see what I do. If I joined every "cause" that people wanted me to join, I'd probably be a part of at least 1000 causes.

I didn't intend to participate in anything like that. I just wanted to find some old friends.

Tristam Green
September 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I would rather be chopped in half live on TV than join facebook.:)

That can be arranged in some countries in remote parts of the world.

Dharmachakra
September 18th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Last I checked, almost all of the negative comments were regarding why the poster, themselves, wouldn't touch facebook with a 10-foot-pole.

Which is why I said 'some'...

Chronon
September 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I signed up because it helped me find a bunch of old friends that I haven't seen for many years. It was great for that, and I was able to get back in contact with quite a few of them.

But even though I only talk to those friends once in a great while, I have to be subjected to the constant annoying harassments that take place on a daily basis. Every day I get 10 notifications of people who want to kidnap me, or beg me to join their mafia. I'm constantly getting people wanting me to take some stupid quiz or accept a gift of a little picture of a chicken leg or something. And if for some reason of etiquette I choose to reciprocate with some stupid picture, everyone in the world can see what I do. If I joined every "cause" that people wanted me to join, I'd probably be a part of at least 1000 causes.

I didn't intend to participate in anything like that. I just wanted to find some old friends.

Don't partake in any of that crap then. I don't. I have a firm policy against allowing any apps or joining causes or any of that other stuff. For me it's purely about a way to get in touch when I feel like it. I probably log on about once a month or so.

Chronon
September 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I hate facebook.

But I have an account.

Apparentley I can`t be married on the internet unless I have a facebook account.
<snip>

Stupid internet

It's easy. Turn off email notifications and simply don't log in. The page will preserve the "married to" comment on your wife's page and you won't have to deal with any of the stuff that annoys you. You can always log in at your leisure to check if anyone interesting has tried to contact you in the last few months. It's only an annoyance if you let it be.

Johnsie
September 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Ubuntuforums is a social networking site too... I guess the what makes this better is that it is actually useful. Use facebook properly and it can be useful. You can manipulate people, research them, scrounge things off people use it to get invited to events and even use it to sell stuff or promote something you've done.

Yes, it can be waste of time... But if you use your head it can also be a very useful tool, just like these forums ;-)

For example, my friends car broke down.. He posted a status "My car is broken down" and within hours he had people offering him a loan of their spare car.

tjwoosta
September 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM

I agree with this logic 100%

Not to mention that facebook is an obvious data mining operation.

I highly recommend checking out this youtube video for more information about facebook and its founders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FA-2tLehQc

pricetech
September 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I joined back a couple of years ago. Kept it for a few months then dropped it. Recently reactivated because my son and his friends were on. Got reminded really quick why I deactivated the first time.

I guess if you don't have a life and / or you think the world really gives a rat's *** what you're doing right now, then go for it. Otherwise skip it.

Johnsie
September 18th, 2009, 11:14 PM
lol, I love paranoid conspiracy videos... The video is wrong though. Facebook was really created by aliens to select people to abduct. Ask Fox Mulder!

Hosmion
September 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM

I would say don't use it if your not going to be on it a lot.. My Mom has one, and she is on it like a lot.. Hard to explain, addictive though...

etnlIcarus
September 19th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Which is why I said 'some'...

...with the remainder being inquisitorial in nature. Your still haven't backed up your assertion.

Tmi
September 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Facebook can be modified to suit you needs.

I've disabled pretty much all those pesky notifications so that I only get an email from facebook whenever something I care about happens there (like a friend sends me a personal message or wants to add me). Other than those occasions I rarely ever log in.

Thus I've not posted my whole life on there and I don't spend time there like addicts. Doing it that way you can skip all the irritating sides and still occasionally get a message from a friend long lost :)

I guess I'm a passive facebook user :)

lisati
September 19th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Some sites aren't for everyone.

I doubt that most of the people who send me messages via the email account I set up for use with the forums and Launchpad would last long here at the forums before being recognized as the rascals they are - most seem to be more insterested in being (insert epithet of choice) than providing some kind of support for Ubuntu.

tcoffeep
September 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I agree with this logic 100%

Not to mention that facebook is an obvious data mining operation.

I highly recommend checking out this youtube video for more information about facebook and its founders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FA-2tLehQc

I don't mind beind mined for data.

Tipped OuT
September 19th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Ubuntuforums is a social networking site too...

Not really. It's just a tech support site.

collinp
September 19th, 2009, 04:32 PM
And getting hit by Malware.

On Linux.

MikeTheC
September 19th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Oh yeah, way to go, you "rebel" you...

Rebel without a cause, more like...

Dharmachakra
September 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
...with the remainder being inquisitorial in nature. Your still haven't backed up your assertion.

The evidence is pretty easy to find. Hell, you can find a clue in my first response. I don't feel my assertion needs to be "backed up".

hoppipolla
September 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Facebook is, I presume, most useful for those who have a lot of friends -- I do not. Even if I did, I doubt very much that I'd get much out of Facebook. I use Google Talk and Mail, but that's about it; all these social networking apps are simply not for misandrist introverts like me.

Aww hehe you seem cool I'm sure you have a lot of friends ^_^

You should do anyway :)

ukblacknight
September 19th, 2009, 05:29 PM
As a uni student, it's quite fun. You meet a lot of people at uni, so it's great for keeping in touch with people when you may not have their numbers. Being able to upload photo's and tag people is where it is at its strongest. It's good being able to see other peoples pictures from an event you were at, share a laugh with people and so on. My parents are on it too (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing), so it's nice to see photo's from events they've done, as I rarely see them due to being at university.

Another plus point is it's groups. I couldn't help but notice a thread in these forums, from the OP, about diary farming. Something like that would be a classic example of a group - sharing information, pictures, tips plus more - creating a community about it.

For example, here is a dairy farmers group: http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=dairy+farmers&init=quick#/group.php?gid=2210313018&ref=search&sid=339600006.4111677317..1 (not sure if non-facebookers will be able to see that)

It does have it's downsides though. It's gradually got more bloated, in terms of applications. They are so damn annoying! I've no idea why people bother with them. Plus, the user base tend to have a massive fit each time facebook re-design the site.

Social-networking sites aren't for everyone, but in a sense, this forum itself is just a social networking site - especially this thread!

mkarl
September 19th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hmm, I use Facebook, since I've travelled to a few places, and therefore its good to see what people are up to all those miles away, and it helps to keep in touch with them as even if you don't chat to them for a while, you/them see something in a newsfeed which you then start asking & chatting about :) However, my newsfeed seems filled constantly with mindless status updates (xxxx is drying their hair, xxxx is making a sandwich, xxxx can't wait to see xxxx!), not to mention the quiz's, which make my wonder if I'm the only one that does anything useful at work!! So all in all, i vote it is up to the individual, and the situation :)

Just my opinion :)

Karl

Chronon
September 19th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Not really. It's just a tech support site.

The existence of Community forums contradicts this. If it was a tech support site there would be no off topic discussion about non-Ubuntu related things. There's no way that a topic about Facebook would survive on a tech support site.

Tipped OuT
September 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM
The existence of Community forums contradicts this. If it was a tech support site there would be no off topic discussion about non-Ubuntu related things. There's no way that a topic about Facebook would survive on a tech support site.

This is not a social networking website. We don't share photo's, gossip, and talk about who's dating who.

This a tech support site. We are allowed to talk about off topic issues because we're also a community, but in case you haven't noticed, almost all subjects that are made here are one way or another, related to tech.

The admins of these forums are also kind enough to include a game section (where we can make up are own little games).

Once again, this is not a social networking site.

ukblacknight
September 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
This is not a social networking website. We don't share photo's, gossip, and talk about who's dating who.

This a tech support site. We are allowed to talk about off topic issues because we're also a community, but in case you haven't noticed, almost all subjects that are made here are one way or another, related to tech.

The admins of these forums are also kind enough to include a game section (where we can make up are own little games).

Once again, this is not a social networking site.

It is a tech-related site, but the "Community Cafe" thread talks about all sorts of topics. Digg/Reddit are social networking sites, and they're not any of the things you described.

This thread isn't really related to Ubuntu, and there are many other threads in the Community Cafe that aren't Ubuntu related.

Tipped OuT
September 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
It is a tech-related site, but the "Community Cafe" thread talks about all sorts of topics. Digg/Reddit are social networking sites, and they're not any of the things you described.

This thread isn't really related to Ubuntu, and there are many other threads in the Community Cafe that aren't Ubuntu related.

Yes, because we're a community ( Community Cafe). Not social networking. Big difference.

Chronon
September 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Maybe you have a different notion of social networking than me. I consider any network utilized for social purposes to be a social network. What forms of media users do or do not exchange on this network are entirely irrelevant under this definition.

My first social networking experience was IRC in the early 90s. I argue that if you post in the Cafe (and certain other non-support related forums here), then you are indeed using this forum under my definition of social networking. It's certainly possible to be active at ubuntuforums and only engage in tech support but the fact that we're having this discussion in the Cafe kind of means we have both self selected for our experience here to not entirely be about tech support.

etnlIcarus
September 20th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I don't feel my assertion needs to be "backed up".
And I don't feel your assertion bears merit, as per my response to Tipped Out. If all you're prepared to do is prey on ambiguities in my diction, you might as well have never responded.

Tipped OuT
September 20th, 2009, 06:41 AM
And I don't feel your assertion bears merit, as per my response to Tipped Out. If all you're prepared to do is prey on ambiguities in my diction, you might as well have never responded.

Wait, wha?

Icehuck
September 20th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Yes, because we're a community ( Community Cafe). Not social networking. Big difference.

There are friends lists, user groups, and private messages. You can even chat about random things, post pictures, and post various links in the community cafe. Social Network? Yep.

Tipped OuT
September 20th, 2009, 06:53 AM
There are friends lists, user groups, and private messages. You can even chat about random things, post pictures, and post various links in the community cafe. Social Network? Yep.

I guess this is Myspace for geeks. :P

I'm just messing with you.

If that is the case, then ALL forums are social networking.

darco
September 20th, 2009, 06:54 AM
My wife has an account...all they do is basically brag about their wealth or where they went, crap like that....
This forum is far from that....

darco

etnlIcarus
September 20th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Come on, UF isn't as bad as Myspace.

loell
September 20th, 2009, 07:03 AM
my first social networking experience was irc in the early 90s. I argue that if you post in the cafe (and certain other non-support related forums here), then you are indeed using this forum under my definition of social networking. It's certainly possible to be active at ubuntuforums and only engage in tech support but the fact that we're having this discussion in the cafe kind of means we have both self selected for our experience here to not entirely be about tech support.

+1

LinuxFox
September 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM

If you don't want to use it, don't use it.Well put, besides I don't think it's anything special in my opinion. I just use it to connect with old school friends. Other than that it's nothing special. Plus you can't have full privacy with apps, so I simply don't use them.

koshatnik
September 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM

It's about personal choice. No one should feel pressured or ridiculed because they don't have a facebook presence. I personally hate the whole idea of it. Why the hell do I want a bunch of idiots showing me their crappy photographs of events I don't give a toss about, followed by endless moronic comments like "OMG ROFL that was so much fun!!! XXXXXX"

**** off, nubs.

etnlIcarus
September 20th, 2009, 03:10 PM
People should be thankful I haven't left a trail of destruction across every Internet fad.

archanadevi
September 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Its depends on your thoughts. But dont use more social bookmarking sites.

Thanks.

red_Marvin
September 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I don't have an account on any of these type of sites, for good or bad.
I guess that I'm not that interested in people, or enough dependent on them to to pretend that I am.
I more or less get the feeling that a lot are members because it is the thing to be, and I'm not that into it and more or less resist out of spite. I guess going this route too long is bad too.

However I am member of a number of forums, and chat away some on IRC, I guess I like discussion on a certain topic or instant messaging more.

AlexanderDGreat
September 21st, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hey, lighten up guys, YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter are going to make one HUGE time-wasting site called: YouTwitFace.

-Conan O' Brien

=)

DeadSuperHero
September 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM
I love using Facebook. Honestly, it's one of the few social networking services I use anymore.

Someone needs to make a FOSS social network to replace this, perhaps? Something full of geeks, like identi.ca? Hmmm?

Tipped OuT
September 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Someone needs to make a FOSS social network to replace this, perhaps? Something full of geeks, like identi.ca? Hmmm?

:shock:

Simian Man
September 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
It's about personal choice. No one should feel pressured or ridiculed because they don't have a facebook presence. I personally hate the whole idea of it. Why the hell do I want a bunch of idiots showing me their crappy photographs of events I don't give a toss about, followed by endless moronic comments like "OMG ROFL that was so much fun!!! XXXXXX"

Maybe if your friends on Facebook were your actual friends, you wouldn't have such a negative experience with it. If you don't like the idea of it, that's fine. I just laugh at the people who like to brag about how they find it a waste of time or are concerned about security (oh no, people can steal pictures of my cat!!!!!) or how they don't go along with trends.

To me it just sounds like people who are bitter they don't have many friends and are looking to justify themselves.

Arup
September 21st, 2009, 03:22 PM
One can curse all these so called social networking but let me tell you, I lived in US for seventeen years. I went there when I was around fifteen and left after seventeen years. In those years, I built up a huge friend's circle and thanks to Facebook, I stay in touch with them. My brother lives in Germany and when we need to leave messages, we do it via Facebook. So yes, maybe they are some sort of a necessary evil in today's wired world.

ade234uk
September 21st, 2009, 03:37 PM
I did have an account but never ever added a proper profile or pics or make friends with old school people. Too much hassle if you ask me, and I don't want people knowing where I am 24/7

I have seen some stupid things looking over at my GF facebook account like xxx has a bad back, xxx is feeling ill.

Megrimn
September 21st, 2009, 04:23 PM
You're not missing much, unless you like small talk and pointless clicky apps that tell you what Muppet you are or whatever.

I use FB, but I log in about once a week and block every app that gets sent to me. If you're getting hassled about joining, you can always just sign up and then completely ignore it.

True that. It's probably only worth checking once a week, if that. I find myself here on the forums about 100 times more often than on facebook.

wait, so maybe all your friends and family are the ones missing out... You actaully have the advantage here. You can tell them what they're missing :P

etnlIcarus
September 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Maybe if your friends on Facebook were your actual friends, you wouldn't have such a negative experience with it. If you don't like the idea of it, that's fine. I just laugh at the people who like to brag about how they find it a waste of time or are concerned about security (oh no, people can steal pictures of my cat!!!!!) or how they don't go along with trends.

To me it just sounds like people who are bitter they don't have many friends and are looking to justify themselves.

'With friends like you, who needs facebook'.

Seriously, worst post in thread. Do you actually denigrate anyone, based solely on the fact that they don't share your interests?

koshatnik
September 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM

I'd apply that definition to people that have Facebook accounts.

Dave wants to be your friend
Amy wants to be your friend
Robert wants to be your friend
Michael wants to be your friend
Rachel wants to be your friend

Who the hell are these people? I don't know any of them. Why do they want to be my friend? Oh yeah, thats why, they are a bunch of sad lonely dickwads that have no social life so spend all their time on Facepalm seeking out people that like the same film as them so they can be friends.

I have friends in something called reality, and I interact with them by crashing on their sofas at inappropriate times and interfacing with them verbally, whilst eating all their biscuits.

etnlIcarus
September 21st, 2009, 04:51 PM
Lock in 3, 2, 1...

Simian Man
September 21st, 2009, 04:57 PM

Who the hell are these people? I don't know any of them. Why do they want to be my friend? Oh yeah, thats why, they are a bunch of sad lonely dickwads that have no social life so spend all their time on Facepalm seeking out people that like the same film as them so they can be friends.
Then ignore them, if you don't know them, don't be friends with...

I have friends in something called reality, and I interact with them by crashing on their sofas at inappropriate times and interfacing with them verbally, whilst eating all their biscuits.

OK that's great. 95% of my interaction with my friends is in reality as well. But I'd find it harder to maintain many of my friendships without Facebook because people use it to plan group events and so on. It's a hell of a lot easier than calling dozens of people and trying to organize anything that way.

ElSlunko
September 21st, 2009, 05:04 PM
I've never had such experiences. So much seething hatred, I love it!

tcoffeep
September 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM

:( I wish I could do this with my friends who live 7 hours away. Why do you have to remind me I cannot eat their biscuits (I cannot eat wheat) nor crash on their sofas :( you are a mean person, koshatnik

(hey i know i can call them everyday and talk to them as much as i do on facebook. but what about long-distance bills? i can't afford that)

(and no : i don't use im's very often, because there are family members [ who ironically don't use facebook ] I don't want to talk to, but don't want to block)

tcoffeep
September 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Then ignore them, if you don't know them, don't be friends with...

OK that's great. 95% of my interaction with my friends is in reality as well. But I'd find it harder to maintain many of my friendships without Facebook because people use it to plan group events and so on. It's a hell of a lot easier than calling dozens of people and trying to organize anything that way.

This monkey speaks the truth!

tcoffeep
September 21st, 2009, 05:24 PM
Lock in 3, 2, 1...

Given that 30 minutes have passed, either the mods are away on business or this thread has passed by unnoticed, or this is tame compared to the apple thread or the minimalism thread or the [insert name here] thread, or even the mods think facebook is unimportant to step into this thread.

tcoffeep
September 21st, 2009, 05:25 PM
My wife has an account...all they do is basically brag about their wealth or where they went, crap like that....
This forum is far from that....

darco

irl i brag about my accomplishments on these forums.

ElSlunko
I hear one argument saying that Facebook is for those that have nothing to do and what not. Yes many people without jobs or the house-keepers of the family tend to spend a lot of time on FB. But I also find it very useful to keep in touch with friends and family with my incredibly busy schedule. I work full time during the week and don't live very close to work (Los Angeles traffic is incredibly slow most days through the week). I'm also trying to start my own Photography business so my weekends are usually taken up. So for those that have TOO much to do in "Reality", facebook is also useful.

tcoffeep
I hear one argument saying that Facebook is for those that have nothing to do and what not. Yes many people without jobs or the house-keepers of the family tend to spend a lot of time on FB. But I also find it very useful to keep in touch with friends and family with my incredibly busy schedule. I work full time during the week and don't live very close to work (Los Angeles traffic is incredibly slow most days through the week). I'm also trying to start my own Photography business so my weekends are usually taken up. So for those that have TOO much to do in "Reality", facebook is also useful.

Quite.

Perfect Storm
September 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM

I'm just messing with you.

If that is the case, then ALL forums are social networking.

MyUbuntu....hmmm, I'll take that up with the Council for renaming ubuntuforums.org

:popcorn:

Dragonbite
September 21st, 2009, 05:38 PM
I'd apply that definition to people that have Facebook accounts.

Who the hell are these people? I don't know any of them. Why do they want to be my friend?

Wow.. I'm unpopular even in Facebook! I don't get a lot of that.

But as said there is a lot of nonsense there with stupid apps ("You've been hit by a dead opossum! Throw some roadkill at Your Friends now!")...wtf?!

It is nice to see what people are up to, and we just used Facebook to plan our High School's 20th reunion but it is usually a waste of time.

jocheem67
September 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
My girlfriend is all but close to me ( not figuratively speaking here:) )
We use just skype though...

In Holland it's Hyves that people are on...

I'm really not interested. People who say that they use it because they haven't got the time to catch up live....hmmmm....maybe they should reconsider their working environment?
No pun intended here of c.

Dragonbite
September 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM
My girlfriend is all but close to me ( not figuratively speaking here:) )
We use just skype though...

In Holland it's Hyves that people are on...

I'm really not interested. People who say that they use it because they haven't got the time to catch up live....hmmmm....maybe they should reconsider their working environment?
No pun intended here of c.

I've found it useful to keep tabs with those people I know (like High School and College) whom I am not necessarily interested in going drinking with every Friday night, or can't because of distance.

I'm still interested in what's going on, but not THAT interested!

pricetech
September 25th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Wait, what ?!?!? They can steal pictures of my cat ?!?!? Oh my God !!! Fluffy !! Fluffy !!

running_rabbit07
September 25th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Facebook has its pros and cons, obviously. We can share photos easier and leave a little status message letting would be pests know that we are in a bad mood and don't wnat any phone calls today.

On the other hand, I have had an ex-girlfriend trying to medle in my affairs a few times and blocked her, just to see her make a new account and start messing with friends after I set my account to private. All of my current friends and acquantances were getting mad that this person they knew nothing about was telling off the wall stories about me. I finally got her banned from Facebook, but now I have friends that don't know how much to believe. By the time that winch started messing with my Facebook and Myspace, I had already been married for over 5 years. Best advice to weary people is keep your account settings set to private if you don't want the past making new marks in your life.

markharding557
September 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM
if you want privacy do not put it on a social web site