View Full Version : [ubuntu] Any apps to preview AVI / video files

September 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Are there any apps / file explorers that can preview avi/movie files in general, without launching another application? Some windows file managers have this functionality (XYplorer etc) by having a sort of built in player that handles most formats. Just want to be able to play the file to get a quick preview of the contents. Any suggestions?

September 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Did you try searching in synaptic?

seshomaru samma
September 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I think nautilus should preview AVIs
Maybe try installing mplayer?

September 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Nautilus does show a sort of snapshot preview - which is useful, but I have to launch the file in a player. I can't see a way to preview it in another way, checked the options. I suppose in the scheme of things it isn't such a big deal. Just wondered if any of the various file managers available, gnome commander etc, had any built in viewers or plugins to allow viewing avi etc without dropping into something else. I tend to pick a file manager as my main tool and config things around it.

Searched in synaptic etc, have a big list of software to try ... which is part of the reason I asked the question. Narrow down the new things I have to play with, talking of which time to give Frozen Bubble a go ...:) I have done enough work for today.

Artificial Intelligence
September 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I know that you can preview movies in Kubuntu/KDE as you described with dolphin.

September 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I know that you can preview movies in Kubuntu/KDE as you described with dolphin.

Thanks I will take a look.:)

Artificial Intelligence
September 17th, 2009, 04:39 PM
When installed make sure to set your repositories up for the latest KDE for kubuntu.

Then report back, so I can help you setting it up.