PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Jaunty's look and feel

geoffkaniuk
September 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I posted this in 'installation and upgrades' without any response. I am hoping this is a better place for the question.

I have recently upgraded from Hardy to Intrepid and then to Jaunty. I have noticed the following changes in the GUI since Intrepid:

1. When I hover over a selected radio button or checkbox, the selection is temporarily cleared and returns when I move the mouse away. If I click on an 'off' radio button, the 'on' state does not show until I move the cursor away.

Is there a way of suppressing this behaviour? I think that the only time a selection like this should be cleared is when you click on the widget, not before. And when you do click it, the changed state should show immediately.

2. Prior to Intrepid the small selection button (arrow) on combo boxes was indicated by a solid black triangle and this has been replaced by an open V. Sometimes, on other widgets, the arrow points left or right and then it really does look like a greater than (>) or less than (<) sign.

3. I used to be able to deactivate the screen saver and get back to desktop by a short wiggle of the mouse. Now I have to press a key or click one of the mouse buttons. This does not feel as safe.

Are these things configurable somewhere?

These may be pure Gnome questions, but I find no mention of these when searching. If someone can point me in the direction for discussions of this kind, I would be most grateful.

My upgrade to Jaunty has so far gone very smoothly by the way, and actually apart from the niggles above it was probably the smoothest yet!

steveneddy
September 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM
"Upgrading" via the update manager is still not totally fixed IMHO..

If you still have issues you may consider saving your /home and doing a total reinstall from a CD.

geoffkaniuk
September 18th, 2009, 03:34 PM
"Upgrading" via the update manager is still not totally fixed IMHO..

If you still have issues you may consider saving your /home and doing a total reinstall from a CD.

Thanks steveneddy for your comment.

Firstly you agree then that these are issues and you don't see them on your system?

So, does this mean if I carry out a total re-install from CD then my issues 1 and 3 will be fixed?

What about issue 2? The arrow on combo boxes still solid triangles on your system?

I found another issue today: I cannot add a book mark to 'places' using CTRL+D. I can only do this if I go into Edit Bookmarks using CTRL+B.