PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First time install, hit brick wall as ethernet card not found

JuddMuir
September 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hi,

This is my first experience with Ubuntu or (any *nix) desktop, so I'm clueless as to what to do if things don't work "out of the box".

I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 onto an old desktop, which has an ASUS motherboard that includes an on-board 3com 3c940 ethernet card. Ubuntu hasn't found it, and the drivers that came on the CD have instructions based on an old version of Linux i.e. not much use to me as the "make load" fails :-(

My question is:
- Could someone direct me to a basic "how to install drivers for 3c940 under Ubuntu" guide?
- Or should I go out and buy a new ethernet card that is likely to be immediately recognised by Ubuntu?

I'm very keen to get to start using non-M$ desktop, but don't want my first experience to be driver-hell before I can even get online! Any help gratefully received :-)

tomBorgia
September 17th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Hi,

Your network card is not confirmed as working on the wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsWiredNetworkCards3Com) so getting it to work might be difficult...

I'd by a new one ;-)

JuddMuir
September 17th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for quick, and useful, reply - looks like I'd better buy a new card, thanks for the heads-up.