PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Options for wallpaper rotation?

jedimattk
September 17th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I've been doing a bit of distro-hopping lately, spurred largely by one of my good friends finally deciding to take the plunge into Linux. He has a pretty dated computer (256MB RAM, 20GB HDD, 866MHz processor) and Windows XP certainly wasn't running very well on it, so I was determined to find the best operating system for him.

After trying out Puppy Linux and PCLinuxOS, I finally came back to Ubuntu as I always do, and ended up building him a Xubuntu system which runs really snappily. However, as I said, this whole process challenged me to find a new OS for my computer as well. I'd been hearing good things about Mint Linux lately, so I ended up switching, and I must say - I've never looked back.

Anyway, I used to have a tool on Ubuntu (can't remember what it was) which would rotate my desktop wallpaper for me every half-hour. I had this same tool on Windows 7, and even a variant back when I had Windows XP. I've been googling around a bit, but I can't find any similar tools for my new operating system of choice. I know that Mint Linux is just an improved derivative of Ubuntu, but while there are one or two wallpaper rotators for Ubuntu, they are all for the GNOME desktop. My computer is now KDE.

Any ideas, guys? I'd even settle for a Python script or something, if you could talk me through how to use it. I just want that one extra aesthetic functionality to make my Linux experience complete!

Thanks in advance,
Matt

krazyd
September 17th, 2009, 05:27 AM
It's built-in to KDE.

Right-click desktop > Desktop Settings > in the Wallpaper Type dropdown box, select "Slideshow".

jedimattk
September 17th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I don't see that option...

krazyd
September 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
It was introduced in KDE 4.2, which is the default in Kubuntu 9.04.

What version of KDE are you running? See the version number in any KDE app (like Konsole) under Help > About KDE.

jedimattk
September 17th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Never mind, it seems I was wrong! I checked the Linux Mint web site and the main edition is in fact GNOME, so I can use wallpaper-tray or any similar apps for this purpose. Thanks again!