PDA

View Full Version : I'm in a BIG trouble with my keyboard and Vim

Grickko
September 17th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Hi guys, I'm facing a big problem. I started using the computer when I was 9 years old. Nobody tought me anything, so I just created my ways of doing things. One of those things is how to use the keyboard. Most programmers know how to type correctly. Like you should put the forefingers on F and J. I didn't know these things, so by time I just memorized the positions of the keys, but not in the standard manner. Like I don't put my forefingers on F and J. When I use the keyboard I just start typing. And I really type really fast. I guess as fast as those who use the keyboard correctly.

My problem is that I switched into Vim to use it for Java. I found that Vim really requires the user to be able to use the keyboard correctly. Like using the nav keys..etc

What do you suggest that I should do? Should I relearn how to use the keyboard?! That will take sooo much time I guess, and I'm a student. I'm still learning Java, so if I decided to relearn, I should stop learning Java :(

If you all decided that I should relearn the keyboard, can you please give me links, tutorials, apps...etc that can help me?

Please I'm in trouble, the next semester will start soon.

Edit: My typing speed is 34 WPM.

samjh
September 17th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I don't see how vim's nav keys should pose a problem for you. You can use arrow keys for cursor movements in vim (you need to switch off vi-compatibility mode; Google it).

RiceMonster
September 17th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I use vim and I don't type properly either. You can navigate with the arrow keys and a large amount of shortcuts. Don't worry about it.

I don't see how vim's nav keys should pose a problem for you. You can use arrow keys for cursor movements in vim (you need to switch off vi-compatibility mode; Google it).

I think it's :set nocompatible

Grickko
September 17th, 2009, 04:31 AM
But people told me that using the arrow keys aren't good in Vim. Also using the Homs, End..etc buttons are wrong. Yeah I know I can use the arrow keys but in #vim people told me it's so wrong to do that.

I watched Vim videos on vimeo.com from a guy called Derek Wyatt.

matthew.ball
September 17th, 2009, 04:34 AM
If it was wrong, surely they wouldn't allow you to do it?

Edit: But they do allow you to do it, hence it is not wrong.

jpeddicord
September 17th, 2009, 04:36 AM
But people told me that using the arrow keys aren't good in Vim. Also using the Homs, End..etc buttons are wrong. Yeah I know I can use the arrow keys but in #vim people told me it's so wrong to do that.

I watched Vim videos on vimeo.com from a guy called Derek Wyatt.

Don't worry about it. I've been using vim for almost three years and still use the arrow keys frequently. Eventually you may learn to move with the hjkl keys, but don't worry if you don't right away. (Even if "eventually" means "more than three years" as in my case. :P)

PurposeOfReason
September 17th, 2009, 04:37 AM
How can something be wrong if it's how you use it and it's not breaking anything? That's like saying it's wrong to use qwerty or dvorak.

Grickko
September 17th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Maybe I used the wrong word. It is not bad, but discouraged.

Grickko
September 17th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Someone suggested to use Vim with arrow keys now, while doing a 15 minutes a day on typingweb.com to learn how to use the keyboard correctly.

PurposeOfReason
September 17th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Someone suggested to use Vim with arrow keys now, while doing a 15 minutes a day on typingweb.com to learn how to use the keyboard correctly.
If it is important to you then do it. 34wpm isn't all that great. I just took a few tests and averaged around 83wpm. But even then, I use the arrows with vim about half the time.

Grickko
September 17th, 2009, 05:26 AM
If it is important to you then do it. 34wpm isn't all that great. I just took a few tests and averaged around 83wpm. But even then, I use the arrows with vim about half the time.

WOW you killed me! Do you use the keyboard in the standard way?

PurposeOfReason
September 17th, 2009, 05:59 AM
WOW you killed me! Do you use the keyboard in the standard way?
Just plain qwerty with how you're "supposed" to type. To be fair, I type a lot and was at 60wpm back in 9th grade.

MaxIBoy
September 17th, 2009, 06:14 AM
34 WPM isn't that fast, it's about as fast as handwriting.

I get 60-70 WPM if I know in advance what I'm going to type-- more like 30 if I'm thinking as I type.

Honestly, no one cares what buttons you use. Just use what works for you.

And if you really can't use vim, try emacs.

Firestem4
September 17th, 2009, 06:23 AM
If you are able to type then obviously you aren't doing it the wrong way. I was in a typing class when I was younger and for "Proper" typing there is a standard, You only type such and such keys with your index fingers, such an dsuch keys with your middle/ring/pinkie etc. Sure thats the "Proper" way to do it..But I don't really care...After taking tha class I started developing my own way to type. I don't follow that norm that was set and now (on a fast keyboard) i can type 140wpm because I'm typing the way thats comfortbale to me.

matthew.ball
September 17th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Wow, 140wpm is impressive.

My mum who started on a type-writer, can get just over 120wpm, and that's bloody fast.

Firestem4
September 17th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Wow, 140wpm is impressive.

My mum who started on a type-writer, can get just over 120wpm, and that's bloody fast.

I admit its not my Average. However if I have something to type I can reach those speeds consistently.

i need to be on a streak and have a fast keyboard to even be able to do it. The keyboard I have now (Razer Tarrantula) is just not meant for fast typing. The keys are very difficult to press down which slows me down overall. Soft responsive keys are best (very much like laptop keys except I prefer full-size keyboards).

MaxIBoy
September 17th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I type best on my IBM Model M. I dislike typing on a laptop. There's no tactile or audio feedback, so it's like typing on a table. I like at least 3/8" of travel and a nice loud "click-CLACK" sound.

Grickko
September 17th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I guess I'll do this: I'll continue with Vim in my way, and at the same time I'll practice everyday 15 minutes on typingweb.com

Grickko
September 17th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Guys do you care a lot about your keyboards? I met some programmers and some of them really don't care about any type of keyboard. They just use what's available!

samjh
September 17th, 2009, 03:14 PM
As long as the keyboard feels comfortable, it's OK. I know there are people who use all kinds of strange contraptions to make their keyboard more "ergonomic". Most of it is just garbage.

Just make sure you adopt the correct posture: sit up straight, make sure the backrest is supporting your lower back, have your forearms parallel to the floor, wrists and fingers relaxed (but not resting on the desktop), etc. Take regular breaks too. Rest your body and do some light stretching every half hour or so.

Simian Man
September 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I have been using vim for everything (programming, papers, presentations...) for six years and always use the arrows, home, end and so on. I type at 40-50 wpm and see no problem. The bottleneck for me is the thoughts and not my ability on the keyboard.

Typing over 100 wpm is more important for people who are transcribing the thoughts of others than it is for programmers.

Tibuda
September 17th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I don't think it is "bad" to use the arrows/home/end keys, but it is "bad" to be always in insert mode. Always press ESC after you are done to back to normal mode. If you are always in insert mode, you won't get any productivity from Vim (using d3w to delete three words, etc).

RiceMonster
September 17th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Typing over 100 wpm is more important for people who are transcribing the thoughts of others than it is for programmers.

yup. programmers should be focused on writing good code, and the logic behind it rather than spitting out hundreds of lines of code every minute. Don't get me wrong, it's an advantage, but it's not what's important.

I've tried to learn the home-row method of typing, but I'm too adjusted to my own way (even though it's not as efficient) and always revert back.

Grickko
September 17th, 2009, 08:15 PM

yup. programmers should be focused on writing good code, and the logic behind it rather than spitting out hundreds of lines of code every minute. Don't get me wrong, it's an advantage, but it's not what's important.

This is also what I believe. But I listened to people in #vim cuz they have been using vim for so long and I thought that if this is the way vim were intended to be, then it must be the best way for doing things because professionals also are doing it.

jpeddicord
September 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM
This is also what I believe. But I listened to people in #vim cuz they have been using vim for so long and I thought that if this is the way vim were intended to be, then it must be the best way for doing things because professionals also are doing it.

What vim pros are using isn't necessarily what those new to vim should be using. Everyone was a newbie once. :)