PDA

View Full Version : Have you used a wireless card on a pre-P3 laptop?

mohapi
February 7th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Sorry for what seems like a hardware thread. I'm troubleshooting (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=125334) a freaky situation with PCMCIA wireless cards in Pentium- and Pentium II-era laptops. :-k

If you have used a laptop that old with a PCMCIA wireless card, would you mind telling me the model of the laptop and the card? Of course, if you have any experience with this problem, I would welcome suggestions.

Thanks for your help, and again, I apologize for what seems like a mis-post.

Cheers! ;)

nemik
February 7th, 2006, 10:42 PM
yes, i just installed ubuntu recently (xubuntu i guess because of XFCE) on a 233MHz Dell CPi for my girlfriend's mum.
i put in a cheap irlink AWLC3026 PCMCIA card that worked perfectly out of the box after installation.

iwconfig, iwlist scanning, dhclient, etc all worked fine with the 2wire WEP-encrypted access-point in her house. after setting up /etc/interfaces/network, all was good to go.

i love ubuntu! :)

mips
February 7th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Many people have. Sure they have to dodge the odd acpi or apic issue but it can be made to work.

poofyhairguy
February 8th, 2006, 01:02 AM
If you have used a laptop that old with a PCMCIA wireless card, would you mind telling me the model of the laptop and the card?

Hmmm....its a Toshiba with 400mhz Celeron and the card is a Linksys card. Its v2.5 (I can't remember model number). Basically any Prism card should work fine.

mohapi
February 8th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll keep working at it, and see what I can come up with. Cheers.