PDA

View Full Version : when did your wireless first work in ubuntu?

sena_akada
September 17th, 2009, 12:53 AM
just found out mine works with gutsy :)

Bölvağur
September 17th, 2009, 12:59 AM
just found out mine works with gutsy :)

yeah I think it was gusty here as well. It was some particular kernel that was the trick. Might have been in hardy, but Im pretty sure at hardy's release day, wireless didnt work but it did on some kernel on gusty and I used gusty for perhaps 6-8 months before going over to hardy or ibex.

cariboo
September 17th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I had my broadcom based wireless card workling on Debian with ndiswrapper before I even tried Warty. It has since died, but wireless works with all three wireless devices I have. HP laptop with Prism chipset D-Link usb, and trendnet usb.

The Trendnet works better with Ubuntu then it does with Windows.

NormanFLinux
September 17th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Under Intrepid. Before that wireless support was just lacking. Today in Linux, you should be able to boot up with a Live CD in most distros and just configure your card.

Whiffle
September 17th, 2009, 01:48 AM
My ipw2200 has worked for as long as I've had it, although network manager was pretty dodgy under feisty. Drivers were never an issue.

Nowadays it works better in linux than in windows, as in it connects much faster with no fiddling around.

JDShu
September 17th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Tried out Ubuntu on my old R51 IBM laptop on Feisty, didn't work. A year later, I randomly tried Intrepid and it magically worked. My new laptop works fine with Jaunty. On the other hand, my sister's new HP2133 was a huge pain (Broadcom drivers are terrible).

jsmidt
September 17th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Mine started working with Feisty.

dragos240
September 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM
It "worked" on my 8.04, but it disconnected all the time, and half the time, it didn't recognize it was there. 8.10 fixed everything.

SunnyRabbiera
September 17th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Hardy, though Gutsy was pretty good too at wireless with more tweaking.

RiceMonster
September 17th, 2009, 03:45 AM
First version I installed was 7.10. Worked out of the box no problems. Intel wireless is great with Linux.

Flying caveman
September 17th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Since 5.10 Breezy Badger.

MasterNetra
September 17th, 2009, 03:53 AM
7.10 wouldn't work on my Gateway 500se so I had continued elsewhere and hadn't found a suitable replacement to windows at the time so I went back to XP. Fortuantely I was reintroduced by a college classmate to Ubuntu after Hardy was released and Ubuntu has been my Linux OS of choice ever sense. :) At the time of the reintroduction I had recently gotten my Current Laptop. Had to connect to a wired connection to get the BCM driver (I think it was the bcm *shrugs*), so technically in hardy I was able to get the wireless to work, provided I could get to a physical connection to get the driver. With Interpid though the STA driver came by default and though as it still is with Jaunty you have to restart to enable it or I do at least. :/

Dayofswords
September 17th, 2009, 04:04 AM
mines was jaunty because it was the first ubuntu i had on a laptop

NightHawk877
September 17th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Mine started working in Jaunty. I used the ndiswrapper tool to make my Atheros chip to work on my laptop. It tool me 3 weeks to do it, but I can finally go wireless in Ubuntu. I didn't have to do that on my desktop because it's wired.

cartman640
September 17th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I got mine to work in either 6.06 or 6.10 (I can't remember which) but it took months of furious googling (it was a Broadcom card with a software controlled power switch). In 7.04 and 7.10 things definitely got easier, was just a case of installing ndiswrapper and the software to control the power switch. After 7.10 the laptop in question fell to bits (literally) and it ceased to be an issue ;)

misfitpierce
September 17th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Think it was feisty or one before... not 100%

gn2
September 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Right from the start, which was 5.10 for me.

beercz
September 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Since Warty

TombKing
September 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM
8.10 once installed on my dell inspirion. It didn't work with the live cd. Luckily I was about 5 feet from the switch that was connected to the dsl modem at the time so running a cable for the install was no biggie. After that I got the binary blob driver and all was well.
Same for the the kids compaq had to have a cable for the initial install.
I fiddled with an 8.04 live cd and wubi for a bit on the inspirion but gave up on it and waited to buy an extra drive for my laptop to install ubuntu on for dual boot rather than deal with partition headache. By that time 8.10 was out.

blur xc
September 17th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Well, I guess this poll assumes you've been using Ubuntu since before 7.04. Makes it kind of inaccurate. My wireless started working in 9.04- but 9.04 is the first time I every used ubuntu...so what does that mean?

BM

xpod
September 17th, 2009, 06:11 PM
The first time i ever tried wireless, which was in Ubuntu, it worked.That was with a 3Com USB(zd1211) adapter back on Dapper.

LowSky
September 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM
My wireless usb adapter worked since fiesty. odd that it didn't work in windows without special drivers, but fiesty it ran fine.

As for my lenovo s10 with built in I think it was 8.04 or .10 that it had the driver availible form the restricted drivers menu.. no so sure because I purchased it in january... hmmm

SuperSonic4
September 17th, 2009, 06:15 PM
8.1 a full six months after Mandriva recognised it

ve4cib
September 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
My wireless has been working (or has been made to work with some tinkering) since 5.04 on my Toshiba, and since 7.04 for my newer HP.

kellemes
September 17th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Never.

Icehuck
September 17th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Wifi for me worked around Fiesty if not before it. What didn't work was network manager.

gn2
September 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM
The first time i ever tried wireless, which was in Ubuntu, it worked.That was with a 3Com USB(zd1211) adapter back on Dapper.

I have one of those.
It works perfectly with every distribution I've tried it on, but with Windows the performance is simply shocking, it drops the connection repeatedly, so badly that it is completely unusable.
With Linux, perfection.

Tibuda
September 17th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I don't know about Feisty, but it worked in Gutsy when I switched to Ubuntu.

I have bought Linux preinstalled, so the manufacturer probably chose a whitelisted card.

xpod
September 17th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I have one of those.
It works perfectly with every distribution I've tried it on, but with Windows the performance is simply shocking, it drops the connection repeatedly, so badly that it is completely unusable.
With Linux, perfection.

They worked so well i somehow ended up with 2 of them.The 0200 & the 0300.:)

sn0m
September 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
My wireless works out of the box. First thing I do when I get a new laptop is to change wireless card to intel wireless pro.
End of story, no headaches.
Regards
Sokol