PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Split video signal: projector & monitor

ricardisimo
September 16th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I'd like to have both a monitor and a projector connected to my computer, with a special twist: I want the monitor to display all toolbars, controls, options, whatever, and I want the projector to show ONLY the image, presentation, movie... whatever I'm running. I don't want my audience ever to see my pointer or cursor or menu items, only the content itself as I run it or modify it.

Can this be done? What app? Which connectors? Thanks.

ricardisimo
September 26th, 2009, 11:10 PM
No takers?

rajan
October 23rd, 2009, 05:20 AM
how does ooimpress fall short of your needs?

ricardisimo
October 23rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
For producing presentations it exceeds my expectations if anything. That wasn't the question, though. Besides, the office presentation is just one example among many of media that might come up.

I want to be able to have the presenter move her/his mouse around the "control screen", for lack of a better term, without it showing on the "room screen" that the audience is staring at. I want to be able to adjust the image geometry, turn subtitles on/off or switch media sources at my end without the audience seeing menus flying fast and furious all over their screen.

Hence the title: How do I split my signal so that I get "dirty" on my monitor and "clean" to the room?

markbuntu
October 23rd, 2009, 10:43 PM
You need two outputs from your gpu or two gpus. Nvidia and ati both have gpus and drivers that can do this but I am not so sure what video players allow a separate display from the controls.

What gpu do you have and what driver is it using?

ricardisimo
October 26th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I might not be reading this correctly, but it doesn't seem to say which card, just the brand:

VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0615 (rev a2)
Subsystem: Device 1b0a:9038
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
Region 0: Memory at fa000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Region 1: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Region 3: Memory at f8000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
Region 5: I/O ports at ec00 [size=128]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at fbee0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nvidia, nvidiafb
It's using the proprietary nvidia driver, version 180.

ricardisimo
July 16th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Bumpity-bump.

I'm going to be using my machine as a variety of cinema server, and I'd really like to figure out how to view my monitor regularly, and have whatever player I'm using only exporting the actual video being shown - and not any of my windows, desktop, mouse action, cursor, etc.

Suppose I'm using VLC for this... Can I select which output it is sending the stream to? Like, just out of HDMI #1, for example? Thanks again.