PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB Install

enteef89
September 16th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I have installed Ubuntu before via CD, but I have lost it. I am also out of blank CDs. I would like to find a way to boot/install with a USB drive. If not, I could always go up to the store I suppose.:lolflag: Thanks.

ram2500
September 17th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Depending on the Ubuntu version, there is a Live USB disk creator that you could use to make the image. If you have 9.04, it's available for you to use. 8.10/8.04 might have this utility but I am not sure as I am not sitting in front of it right now. You need at least a 1 GB USB flash drive, and (I think) you have to use the whole USB disk, but perhaps not. So, running that utility will get you to where you need to go.

When you're done with that part, you need to set the setup to boot to USB first; reprioritize boot devices so that USB is booted first. (First of all, it's not guaranteed to boot to USB as even brand new PCs still don't have the ability to boot to USB, so check to see if your BIOS can do this, otherwise, you'll have to make a trip to the store unfortunately :).)

enteef89
September 18th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Thanks. I actually found my Ubuntu disc. But I am going to have to make a trip to the store, because I want the newest version.