PDA

View Full Version : I hate when...

blur xc
September 16th, 2009, 11:01 PM
..the isp provider sets up our wireless network.

I just switched to Verizon Fios, and they come in and install their modem/router combo. I was at work while they did this, a no one was at home w/ any tech knowledge. The guy calls me at work asking how to connect my pc running ubuntu, and I just told him to give me the password and I'll connect it when I get home. He tells me the wep key is written on the side of the router, so I ask if he can set up WPA security instead. He say's he doesn't know how, and is just following his instructions. yay.

So, I get home, dig out the router quick install guide, go to the 192.whatever address, and get the verizon login screen for the router, and they have me locked out w/ their own login and password, so I can't change it either.

Thinking back, I should have had them install the internet service w/o any wireless, and I could have installed my own router myself. That would have been smarter.

BM

freackout
September 16th, 2009, 11:30 PM

I just switched to Verizon Fios, and they come in and install their modem/router combo. I was at work while they did this, a no one was at home w/ any tech knowledge. The guy calls me at work asking how to connect my pc running ubuntu, and I just told him to give me the password and I'll connect it when I get home. He tells me the wep key is written on the side of the router, so I ask if he can set up WPA security instead. He say's he doesn't know how, and is just following his instructions. yay.

So, I get home, dig out the router quick install guide, go to the 192.whatever address, and get the verizon login screen for the router, and they have me locked out w/ their own login and password, so I can't change it either.

Thinking back, I should have had them install the internet service w/o any wireless, and I could have installed my own router myself. That would have been smarter.

BM

you typing in the passphrass or hex,and have you also picked the right security. ps ubuntu will let you easily change configurations in the network manager.

Whiffle
September 16th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Try looking on the bottom of the router. I helped my gf over the phone with her AT&T u-verse router and the password was written on the bottom. Google is helpful too.

What was weird though is AT&T was using WEP by default, which is pretty pointless...

blur xc
September 17th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Try looking on the bottom of the router. I helped my gf over the phone with her AT&T u-verse router and the password was written on the bottom. Google is helpful too.

What was weird though is AT&T was using WEP by default, which is pretty pointless...

Previously, we were using Charter and they were using wep too.

It's not like I'm afraid of being hacked, since I live in a low population density area (1 acre lots, makes for some distance between houses). I'd imagine a hacker with malicious intent would target an area like an apartment complex or something, with better pickings.

Go figure.

BM

t0p
September 17th, 2009, 12:24 AM
It's not like I'm afraid of being hacked, since I live in a low population density area (1 acre lots, makes for some distance between houses). I'd imagine a hacker with malicious intent would target an area like an apartment complex or something, with better pickings.

Maybe... But what if the malicious "hacker" was targeting you personally?

You probably think no one would target you. But that's what they all think, before they are targeted.

pwnst*r
September 17th, 2009, 12:27 AM

BM

always is, and cheaper too.

wojox
September 17th, 2009, 12:31 AM
The defaults are usually:

ID:
Admin
admin
Administrator
administrator

Pass:
Password
password
Password1
password1

Whiffle
September 17th, 2009, 12:32 AM
always is, and cheaper too.

Ditto. My current provider offered to rent us a wifi router for $7/mo. I think my router cost me like $40, and I already had it, and it runs dd-wrt, which makes me happy. I doubt whatever router they would have lent me would run it.

running_rabbit07
September 17th, 2009, 12:35 AM

BM

I don't let them touch anything past the demarcation point.

t0p
September 17th, 2009, 12:51 AM
The defaults are usually:

ID:
Admin
admin
Administrator
administrator

Pass:
Password
password
Password1
password1

Um no.

Look here (http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html) for default passwords. Very good site.

ivaarsen
September 17th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I don't let them touch anything past the demarcation point.

Ditto. When last I had internet service brought in, I said to the guy, 'Look - just make sure the internet connection working using this machine. I'll take care of everything else.'

blur xc,

Perhaps there's a reset button? You could look up the default admin / pw for that device using your favorite search engine (Google), blank the config, and start over.

wojox
September 17th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Um no.

Look here (http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html) for default passwords. Very good site.

Hey I see my old password in there, admin,admin. Not to original are they.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 17th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I ran into a similar problem with a DSL provider.

The DSL provider set up a wireless network at my sister-in-law's with WEP. I don't like WEP. I asked my sister-in-law to call the DSL provider's help line. While we were waiting on HOLD, I reset the wireless router using the router's reset button. Pressed the factory default reset button for 60 seconds.

When a tech finally picked up the on-hold call, I played like I was ignorant. I told him my Internet connection "Just stopped working". I replied to any questions with an ignorant reply that "It just stopped working". These guys expect that most calls will be by ignorant users; therefore, they will accept it.

He walked me through the User Settings for Host Name, User Name, User Password, etc. to get logged into their system. I never told the tech that I had WPA-AES selected. I don't remember if he asked. If he did, I lied.

running_rabbit07
September 17th, 2009, 02:54 AM
What brand router is it. Every Cisco router I have seen has a reset button in the back.

running_rabbit07
September 17th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Ditto. When last I had internet service brought in, I said to the guy, 'Look - just make sure the internet connection working using this machine. I'll take care of everything else.'

Being I had to use my own modem I had them run the wire in and hook up their TDR and test it. Once he said it was good I connected the router, powered up, and it was working.

blur xc
September 17th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Awesome! admin password1 got me in! Thanks!!

Got down to the security settings- "We recommend using WEP because it encrypts wireless traffic." Funny stuff. Also from the little pamphlet- "WEP makes wireless communications reasonably as safe as wired ones." I don't know how that could possibly be true. How do you hack a wired connection parked in a car w/ any ordinary wifi equipped laptop?

And to the question if someone were specifically trying to hack me? I doubt it... I'd probably be considered relatively paranoid by the average American, but I'm not that paranoid.

BM

doorknob60
September 17th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Lol. I had Verizon a while back and they did that, but back thnen I didn't really care. At all. Now my current ISP, they say "You'll have to set up wireless yourself" Yay :) That's what they did. Oddly enough, you need to tell them that you have XP, Vista, or OS X or they'll tell you that it won't work, but the guy just comes in, hooks up the modem, and leaves. My kind of ISP.

Warren Watts
September 17th, 2009, 03:57 AM
On the occaisions I have had where the cable company was coming to deliver and setup new internet access, I have completely disconnected the router from the system, and set up ONE windows computer for them to connect directly to the modem. That way they can happily complete their setup and go on their merry way.

Then after they leave, I reconnect the router and put all the computers back on the network.

pwnst*r
September 17th, 2009, 05:42 AM
On the occaisions I have had where the cable company was coming to deliver and setup new internet access, I have completely disconnected the router from the system, and set up ONE windows computer for them to connect directly to the modem. That way they can happily complete their setup and go on their merry way.

Then after they leave, I reconnect the router and put all the computers back on the network.

you don't even need to let them into your house. i just tell them to enable the connection and they can test up to the house. i'm good to go after that.

Firestem4
September 17th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Got down to the security settings- "We recommend using WEP because it encrypts wireless traffic." Funny stuff. Also from the little pamphlet- "WEP makes wireless communications reasonably as safe as wired ones." I don't know how that could possibly be true. How do you hack a wired connection parked in a car w/ any ordinary wifi equipped laptop?

BM

WEP stands for Wired Equivalence Protocol. The equivalence of security in a wired is physical protection. If you can not physically plug your computer into the network (a type of authentication) then you can't get on. WEP is similar in that aspect because its only Authenticative. You're safe so long as nobody knows how to use aircrack-ng and wants to get in your network. (Under WEP/WPA-TKIP)

If you already knew all this and were being sarcastic. Ignore me! =_)

j7%<RmUg
September 17th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Lol, my dad set our router up, i ended up hacking through the useless WEP and swapping it out for 128-bit WPA.

cmargolin
September 17th, 2009, 09:37 PM
When I got FIOS TV last year, the tech installed the Actiontec router with WEP -- he had never heard of WPA. It turns out that WPA is on the "Advanced" menu.

pricetech
September 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I'm not using wireless, but if I was it would be my WAP, not theirs. I let the provider come in and run the coax to the device. Beyond that, I cut their hands off if they touch anything. Most of their installers are brain dead anyway and their support aren't much better.

Fortunately my cable provider has their stuff together these days so things generally just work.

MikeTheC
September 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM
...the people you're trying to help (especially in tech-related pursuits, but even in general) don't listen to what you say, care about what's going on, and refuse to follow instructions or bother to try and comprehend what's going on.