PDA

View Full Version : hp sells ubuntu?

sudoer541
September 16th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I never knew that, what version of ubuntu they have? 8.04? or the latest?
Anyone bought hp pc with ubuntu?

sydbat
September 16th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Anyone bought hp pc with ubuntu?Any reliable source you heard that from?

tjwoosta
September 16th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Anyone bought hp pc with ubuntu?

I would think they use 8.04 because its an lts release but thats just speculation.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 17th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I used the search function on the HP website. I got no result when I searched for Ubuntu. I am not aware of them selling laptops or desktops with Linux pre-installed. We use HP blade servers and workstations at work, and they are Linux friendly. I have several home computers that are HP. My son and daughter have Linux on their HP laptops. Those have never been a problem for us when using Linux on them.

overdrank
September 17th, 2009, 12:30 AM
On the HP site (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Mini&jumpid=re_r602_hpmini1000_mi)

t0p
September 17th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Here's (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/02/04/hp-releases-netbook-interface-for-ubuntu/) a blog entry saying that HP have released "their own custom version of Ubuntu" for the Mini 1000 Mi Edition netbook. And here (http://www.workswithu.com/2009/02/16/hewlett-packard-to-certify-ubuntu-server-edition-for-proliant-servers/) it says HP are to certify Ubuntu server edition for ProLiant servers. Read all about it!!

Warpnow
September 17th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah, they have a version of UNR (I believe its the base) with a black theme waaaayyy better than the default.

http://apcmag.com/images/hp-mi-home.jpg

MasterNetra
September 17th, 2009, 01:09 AM
No Ubuntu thus far but on HP's site the Mini 110 Mi comes with its own version of Linux installed. I'm just gonna go off on a limb and say it probably sucks compare to Ubuntu, but then again to be fair I haven't tried so idk really.

NormanFLinux
September 17th, 2009, 01:33 AM
HP's Mini Mi is a modified Ubuntu Netbook Remix based on Hardy Heron 8.10. Its uses an HP modified Remix panel.

dragos240
September 17th, 2009, 01:54 AM
The only downside is that the command line is disabled.

MasterNetra
September 17th, 2009, 02:06 AM
The only downside is that the command line is disabled.

hmm that sucks, any way to enable?

dragos240
September 17th, 2009, 02:24 AM
No idea. But that really gives a huge diadvantage for us linux users.

aysiu
September 17th, 2009, 02:34 AM
hmm that sucks, any way to enable? It's not disabled. It's just hidden.

What really sucks is that you can't customize the interface. The Gnome panel is frozen somehow, and the items on it cannot be moved around. It is also really sluggish, performance-wise.

I quickly replaced the pretty (but useless) Mi interface with normal Ubuntu.

And when I bought my HP Mini back in April it was based on Ubuntu 8.04. Not sure if that's changed.

sudoer541
September 17th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Yeah, they have a version of UNR (I believe its the base) with a black theme waaaayyy better than the default.

http://apcmag.com/images/hp-mi-home.jpg

Wow this looks nice! where can I find this skin for ubuntu desktop 9.04?

sudoer541
September 17th, 2009, 04:07 AM
It's not disabled. It's just hidden.

What really sucks is that you can't customize the interface. The Gnome panel is frozen somehow, and the items on it cannot be moved around. It is also really sluggish, performance-wise.

I quickly replaced the pretty (but useless) Mi interface with normal Ubuntu.

And when I bought my HP Mini back in April it was based on Ubuntu 8.04. Not sure if that's changed.

why do they always sell the LTS version of ubuntu. I know its more supported and its easier for them but why not upgrade to the new version in november (9.10)??

it doesint make any sense??
btw my cousin bought the netbook with ubuntu 8.04 on it and he had a really bad impression of linux/ubuntu. I installed 9.04 and he actually liked it!

MasterNetra
September 17th, 2009, 04:20 AM
why do they always sell the LTS version of ubuntu. I know its more supported and its easier for them but why not upgrade to the new version in november (9.10)??

it doesint make any sense??
btw my cousin bought the netbook with ubuntu 8.04 on it and he had a really bad impression of linux/ubuntu. I installed 9.04 and he actually liked it!

They'll probably update to 10.04LTS when it comes out in April of next year.

Wow this looks nice! where can I find this skin for ubuntu desktop 9.04?
+1

NormanFLinux
September 17th, 2009, 04:26 AM
The theme can be found in the HP ppa. You can download their UNR packages from there.

jpeddicord
September 17th, 2009, 04:31 AM

Still is, got a Mini 110 a few weeks ago.

And yeah, the only thing you need to do to get a terminal is open gnome-terminal via Alt+F2. Or create the menu entry for it yourself.

Overall it's a fairly polished UI; the Elisa/Moovida integration is pretty cool. But some aspects of it are a little slow or aren't easily accessible. Currently have UNR Karmic running on it now, and it's great. :D