PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for empathy's MSN webcam

sudoer541
September 16th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I just found our that you CANNOT have a video conversation with another MSN user on Windows.

here is a c/p from the empathy gnome faq:

Can I do a video chat with a contact using Microsoft Windows?

Your contact would need a client which support Jingle and the Theora codec, there isn't such client for Windows at the moment.

That really sucks! :(

Bachstelze
September 16th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Theora lol. No wonder there isn't a client who supports this subpar format...

Bou
September 16th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I just found our that you CANNOT have a video conversation with another MSN user on Windows.

here is a c/p from the empathy gnome faq:

Can I do a video chat with a contact using Microsoft Windows?

Your contact would need a client which support Jingle and the Theora codec, there isn't such client for Windows at the moment.

That really sucks! :(

This post (http://cass.no-ip.com/~cassidy/blog/index.php/post/2009/09/14/MSN-audio/video-chat-in-Telepathy) seems to say otherwise!

sudoer541
September 16th, 2009, 10:44 PM
This post (http://cass.no-ip.com/%7Ecassidy/blog/index.php/post/2009/09/14/MSN-audio/video-chat-in-Telepathy) seems to say otherwise!

wow thanks! I thought Gnome was more "official" and accurate? no?
If I can use empathy's webcam to have a video conversation with my friends on windows, I will be very happy!

EDIT: I feel better now:D

orlox
September 17th, 2009, 12:19 AM
If I can use empathy's webcam to have a video conversation with my friends on windows, I will be very happy!

Perhaps the gnome faq refers to the jabber a/v support. Msn a/v is pretty young in empathy, so I don't think it has been added to the gnome faq yet.

hoppipolla
September 17th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I really hope it will all work!

With webcam as another barrier down, reasons to choose Windows will be dropping fast ^_^

Jesus_Valdez
September 17th, 2009, 01:38 AM
sounds great but, I can't connect to MSN using Empathy, gtalk works great but I cannot connect to MSN.

calrogman
September 17th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Theora lol. No wonder there isn't a client who supports this subpar format...

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
— Christopher Hitchens

t0p
September 17th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Okay, I'm completely baffled now. Why on earth are you so het up by what one or another faq says? The obvious way to discover if you can have video chats with your Windows-using friends is... to try and have a video chat with your Windows-using friends.

And it's also bizarre that you were upset by one faq saying "no", then another faq says "yes" and you're happy. You've decided the second faq is right because you prefer it, not because you've actually seen any evidence that it's right. Is that how you perceive reality: things you like are real, things you dislike are not real? I really do wish that the world worked that way, but...

Hold on! I really wish that the world worked that way - therefore it does work that way! Hey, I really like this version of reality! Do I have to take drugs to make it permanent? :p

sudoer541
September 17th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Okay, I'm completely baffled now. Why on earth are you so het up by what one or another faq says? The obvious way to discover if you can have video chats with your Windows-using friends is... to try and have a video chat with your Windows-using friends.

And it's also bizarre that you were upset by one faq saying "no", then another faq says "yes" and you're happy. You've decided the second faq is right because you prefer it, not because you've actually seen any evidence that it's right. Is that how you perceive reality: things you like are real, things you dislike are not real? I really do wish that the world worked that way, but...

Hold on! I really wish that the world worked that way - therefore it does work that way! Hey, I really like this version of reality! Do I have to take drugs to make it permanent? :p

being optimistic is how human nature is :P
when I install 9.10 am gonna give it a try.
my ubuntu installation is broken so am using windows xp until 9.10 is released.

3rdalbum
September 17th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I just use Meebo.

sudoer541
September 17th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I just use Meebo.

does meebo have mic and cam support?
how?

3rdalbum
September 17th, 2009, 05:10 AM
And it's also bizarre that you were upset by one faq saying "no", then another faq says "yes" and you're happy. You've decided the second faq is right because you prefer it, not because you've actually seen any evidence that it's right.

Do you use your web browser without loading images or something?

There's a screenshot of two guys chatting on Empathy, and another screenshot of the same two guys chatting on the official MSN client. Considering that the two guys are Empathy/Telepathy developers, and this is an open-source project, there's quite a low likelihood that this is a hoax.

3rdalbum
September 17th, 2009, 05:13 AM
does meebo have mic and cam support?
how?

Try it and you'll see :-)

It uses Tokbox, which is a Flash-based a/v chat service.

If you're doing the chatting from within Meebo, then the Tokbox screen appears inside your Meebo window. If you're not on Meebo, then you get sent a URL to click on, which takes you to Tokbox and puts you into the a/v chat.

You just need Flash Player and a supported webcam.